Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Do hot flushes mean HRT isn't working?  (Read 682 times)

Starshell

Do hot flushes mean HRT isn't working?
« on: August 04, 2022, 09:09:54 AM »

Hi everyone
Me again!
I changed from Novofem a few months back to oestrogel, 2 pumps and 100mg progesterone continuously
I am 51, I have had breakthrough bleeding, up to now, only once a month so think it’s my natural cycle breaking through and also feel my anxiety has increased (but this could be linked to stress in personal life)
One thing that has definitely got worse on the new regime is that I am having hot flushes, especially first thing in the morning and also in the evenings sometimes. I didn’t get these on Novofem
GP recommended the change to Oestrogel/progesterone as I was getting very bad PMT prior to the monthly bleed on Novofem but I am beginning to think this may be preferable to the hot flushes
I don’t really know what to do 😞
I have been on the regime for about 10 weeks now
Any advice would be most gratefully received

sheila99

Re: Do hot flushes mean HRT isn't working?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2022, 09:52:48 AM »

I would increase oestrogel. Flushes usually go within a couple of weeks and the anxiety may well be a symptom of oestrogen deficiency too, mine was. The advice is normally to be on a sequi regime unless you're menu (1 year without a bleed).

Starshell

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2022, 10:07:53 AM »

Thanks Sheila, I might increase to 3 or 4 pumps x

sheila99

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2022, 12:48:31 PM »

It's best to increase slowly, maybe try 3 pumps and increase again only if you need to.

joziel

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2022, 01:01:54 PM »

Yes it probably means you need more estrogen but be careful with estrogen increases (speaking from experience!) do it in the smallest increase possible and wait for it to stabilise and so you know what that level feels like, before you increase any more. IME, it's common to get any 'too much estrogen' side effects about a week after increasing - so look out for how you're feeling then...

Starshell

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2022, 06:31:51 PM »

Thanks so much Joziel and Sheila. You have saved me hours of time in trying to get an answer from my GP, I love this forum 😊