Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Advice please  (Read 2122 times)

Kate57

Advice please
« on: July 20, 2022, 03:30:32 PM »

Hello Ladies,

For the last 10 days I have been very dry and sore down below.

I have used some coconut oil which although soothing has not stopped the problem. This morning I managed to get a phone call appt with the senior nurse who has prescribed me Estriol cream....( I am 65 years old and lmp was 11 years ago). I was told the prescription would be ready at my local Boots.

I have just been to pick it up and was told " We don't have these tablets in you will have to search around".

When I told her my prescription was for a cream she went in the back room and came back saying " No we don't have this in either" and offered me back the prescription.

There were three men stood behind me (typical!) ...I asked what I should do next and she replied ..."well, I suppose I could try and order it for you, call back tomorrow afternoon".

This was Boots the Chemist....I'm wondering now if there is a problem getting hold of this cream and if I can't get it what should my next step be?

Can someone recommend anything else that I could buy off the shelf?

I am not feeling as sore as I was yesterday thank goodness, but sometimes this awful dryness comes on really quickly and it's really uncomfortable.

Thank you for any advice.

Kate ~

Joaniepat

Re: Advice please
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2022, 04:49:04 PM »

There is a shortage of Ovestin at the moment, which is the 0.1% estriol cream. If you have been prescribed the weaker generic Estriol Cream at 0.01%, there is no reported shortage of that, so they should be able to order it in.
You can apply an emollient such as Hydromol or Epaderm to the vulva instead of coconut oil, which in my experience doesn't last very long. Alternatively you could look at the Yes products on their website, or you can buy Sylk otc. There are so many vaginal moisturisers around that it comes down to personal choice in the end.
JP x

Kathleen

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2022, 04:57:10 PM »

Hello Kate57.and welcome to the forum.

It's shameful that Boots should be so awkward, if a medication isn't in stock then of course they should offer to order it for you. Perhaps next time you could ask to speak directly to the Pharmacist who may be more helpful.

In the meantime there are over the counter products that you can try and they are stocked on their shelves. In the past I have tried Replens and Sylk vaginal moisturisers and they did help. I have also used YesVM which I bought online direct from the manufacturer, a quick Google search will. give you their website.

I also used to use coconut oil for dryness but to be honest I wasn't too bad in that area and after a while my systematic was all I needed.

I hope this is helpful to you and I am sure other ladies will soon be along to comment.

Btw I relish the prospect of mentioning these issues infront of men and I refuse to be embarrassed by it. They should consider themselves lucky that they don't have our problems and if they don't know how a woman's body works they are clearly in need of some education lol.

Wishing you well and take care.

K.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2022, 05:13:28 PM »

Hi! a Pharmacist should have taken you into a private room, I am appalled. 

Some ladies find that 'sylc' or 'yes' products can help on the outer vaginal area.  They won't replace the oestrogen which is lost but may well ease any dryness.  I have managed with KY Jelly over the years.

R U able to ask for 'vagifem' instead?  Same idea, different way of delivery.

When I have the feeling of the need2P, I take 2 Nurofen 3 times a day to ease the nip as the spincter closes off urine flow.

Kate57

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2022, 05:53:36 PM »

Thank you for all your kind replies.
I've been reading the forum on Vaginal Atrophy - (this is not something I've had problems with before) I hope I can get hold of the Estriol cream tomorrow, if not I will call back the nurse....I'm a bit fearful now of making matters worse.

The soreness seems to have gone but still feel quite dry ( I have not worn underwear for a few days - wearing skirts).

I will let you know what happens tomorrow afternoon.
Fingers crossed.
Thank you again for replying.

Katejo

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2022, 06:05:44 PM »

Thank you for all your kind replies.
I've been reading the forum on Vaginal Atrophy - (this is not something I've had problems with before) I hope I can get hold of the Estriol cream tomorrow, if not I will call back the nurse....I'm a bit fearful now of making matters worse.

The soreness seems to have gone but still feel quite dry ( I have not worn underwear for a few days - wearing skirts).

I will let you know what happens tomorrow afternoon.
Fingers crossed.
Thank you again for replying.
  Have you tried taking it to another pharmacy? I recently took a prescription from.Boots to.Superdrug and they had it (not hrt).

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2022, 06:48:23 PM »

My DH mutters 'take 'em off' if I complain about underwear  ;)

Kate57

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2022, 01:42:59 PM »

Dear Ladies,
Success!
I am now the owner of a tube of Estrilol Cream.
Boots, I am happy to tell you delivered.

And no men in the queue! 😀

Thank you all for your replies.

Katie x

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2022, 02:53:57 PM »

;D ...... did U ask for a private room at Boots , to explain that these issues should be discussed in quiet?

Let us know how you get on.

AlfieBo

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2022, 04:25:35 PM »

Hi Katie I'm in same position as you have you started the cream. I've posted my tale under AlfieBo

Kate57

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2022, 04:48:50 PM »

Have replied to you in your thread AlphieBo. :)

mandss

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2022, 05:06:49 PM »

I have found a great set of products for our lady parts. Its SBC and they now do an intimate care  wash and cream designed just for delicate skin that has become sore or dry. I have been using it along side ovestin for a few weeks now and feel so much more "normal" down there x

Kate57

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2022, 08:07:56 PM »

Thank you for that tip, Mandss.
I have used other beauty products from the SBC range ( from a tv shopping channel) and the intimate wash is on a 'wait list' so it must have been popular.