Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Benefits of taking utrogestan vaginally  (Read 991 times)

JanineT

• First Flush
Benefits of taking utrogestan vaginally
« on: July 28, 2022, 06:25:24 PM »

Looking for personal experience of switching from taking utrogestan orally to vaginally. I’m post menopausal approximately 3 years and have progressed through various hrt treatments to my current regimen of oestrogel, which has helped enormously with joint and muscle pain, and utrogestan, which I suspect is the probable reason why I’m always knackered, fed up, anxious and irritated. Up until around 2 years ago I had an abundance of energy, playing hockey weekly in addition to visiting the gym (lockdown permitting).  All whilst training to be a teacher and single parent to 2.  My outlook on life was unremittingly positive and my mood was (mostly) stable!

I’m currently taking utrogestan orally (100mgs) every night, no break. Whilst it definitely knocks me out for the majority of the night, the quality of sleep is awful, not restorative in the slightest. I drag myself out of bed in the a.m and get on with the day. Everything is an effort and anything over and above the minimum is as a result of my sheer bloody mindedness. I’ve had to become very assertive at the drs and have had every blood test available in an attempt to identify a different underlying cause - all within normal range. (It’s worthy of note however that I consistently test borderline for ferritin - average 23ug/L for last 3 years - but have been told this is in normal range…I’m taking ferrous fumarate anyway to see if it helps).

Having read widely about utrogestan it seems possible that this is the real cause of my exhaustion. I’m going to start taking it vaginally (100mg nightly) but would dearly love to hear from anyone who has tried this route and felt better, energy etc wise. Or, indeed, if you’ve tried it and felt no better. Forgot to mention that I’m using 2 pumps of oestrogel in the morning which seems adequate in terms of addressing my aches and pains. I’m fortunate not to suffer from hot flushes.
Thank you!

Perinowpost

Re: Benefits of taking utrogestan vaginally
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2022, 06:50:22 PM »

Hi JanineT

I take it vaginally and have got to say it makes no difference to me, the side effects are the same. There are lots of ladies on here though (put the topic in the search box) who find they have less negative side effects taking it vaginally. You can only try it and see really.

The other thing you could do is take it sequentially rather than continuously that way you’re getting a break from it.

I’ve just finished my utrogestan for this month and got to say I’m feeling blurrrrgh. It will pass in a few days though.

Any questions just ask x

JanineT

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2022, 08:25:25 PM »

Thanks for the helpful response, although I’m sorry you continue to feel cruddy on the utrogestan.  It’s a difficult trade-off, isn’t it?

Marchlove

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2022, 08:50:34 PM »

Some ladies take it continuously every other day. This might be worth investigating and trialing.

Wishing you luck with it all x

sheila99

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2022, 04:43:10 PM »

I get fatigue using it vaginally, never tried orally. I use a sequi regime on a long cycle (6 weeks) to give me more time off it. For me taking it continuously isn't something I'm going to try, I don't want to be permanently wiped out. Perhaps try it and see if you're better on oestrogen only?

JanineT

• First Flush
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2022, 06:05:39 PM »

Can you please tell me exactly what your regimen is?  Do you do it like this under consultant care and with access to scans?  It’s something I’d certainly consider.

Thanks 😊