Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Genetic chromosome condition  (Read 6823 times)

Kady2022

Genetic chromosome condition
« on: July 22, 2022, 07:37:03 PM »

Hi guys
Does anyone on here have a genetic chromosome condition?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Genetic chromosome condition
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2022, 07:53:11 PM »

R U able to explain further ? 

Marchlove

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2022, 07:54:35 PM »

Hi Kady,

Welcome to the forum!

Probably more of us do than we realise, but I don’t believe I do.
 Are you referring to a specific one that you know you have or just a general question?

X

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2022, 08:02:38 PM »

Is your query relevant to your other thread? 

Kady2022

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2022, 08:41:16 PM »

R U able to explain further ?

I have a chromosome translocation so basically it’s mean my body aborts at 8-12 weeks of pregnancy was just wondering if anyone else has a genetic chromosome condition that can bring on early menopause

Kady2022

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2022, 08:41:38 PM »

Is your query relevant to your other thread?

Yes

Marchlove

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2022, 08:51:43 PM »

Sorry Kady, I have no knowledge of this condition.
Do hope that other ladies on MM might be able to help.
Good luck and keep posting! X

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2022, 08:06:20 AM »

That's very sad and must be difficult.  Or send a PM to Dr Currie for which there is a charge?  She has a wide range of knowledge regarding womens' health as well as having colleagues who she could raise the issue with.

Let us know what you decide? 

« Last Edit: July 23, 2022, 08:11:52 AM by CLKD »

Uptick

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2022, 11:07:00 AM »

Hi Kady, the short answer to your question is no, you are not predisposed to have an early menopause due to being a carrier of a balanced translocation, and the key word here is 'balanced'. If that's your case, it means you have one or two chromosomes that have a piece of DNA in a different position, but it doesn't code any genetic material, that's why you don't have any symptoms or signs related to the translocation, but when your cells undergo meiosis in order to produce eggs, some of the eggs are going to lack important genetic material and when fertilised they will end up in miscarriage or stillbirth. It's very rare for a translocation to affect a gene and when it does it's going to produce symptoms and in some cases these will be related to reproduction, as in translocations affecting the X chromosome or genes in other chromosomes that are important for reproduction, and in these cases premature ovarian failure or early menopause can occur, but this is extremely rare. This article explains this in more detail. https://bnrc.springeropen.com/articles/10.1186/s42269-021-00523-z

I've just read your other posts and it looks like you are having symptoms of an early menopause. In that case it would be easier to tell if it could be related to the translocation if you could specify which translocation you have.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2022, 11:11:09 AM by Uptick »

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2022, 11:31:21 AM »

We are a Mine ........... genetics has always fascinated me.  Not that I can remember the ins and outs  ::)

Keep posting Kady2022

Kady2022

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2022, 12:48:04 PM »

Hi Kady, the short answer to your question is no, you are not predisposed to have an early menopause due to being a carrier of a balanced translocation, and the key word here is 'balanced'. If that's your case, it means you have one or two chromosomes that have a piece of DNA in a different position, but it doesn't code any genetic material, that's why you don't have any symptoms or signs related to the translocation, but when your cells undergo meiosis in order to produce eggs, some of the eggs are going to lack important genetic material and when fertilised they will end up in miscarriage or stillbirth. It's very rare for a translocation to affect a gene and when it does it's going to produce symptoms and in some cases these will be related to reproduction, as in translocations affecting the X chromosome or genes in other chromosomes that are important for reproduction, and in these cases premature ovarian failure or early menopause can occur, but this is extremely rare. This article explains this in more detail. https://bnrc.springeropen.com/articles/10.1186/s42269-021-00523-z

I've just read your other posts and it looks like you are having symptoms of an early menopause. In that case it would be easier to tell if it could be related to the translocation if you could specify which translocation you have.

Thanks for the reply….

So I’m a carrier of a balanced translocation between one of my X chromosomes and one of my number 7 chromosomes which could results in my baby either having too much or too little genetic information and it would most likely result in either a miscarriage or a possibility that my baby having both significant developmental and health problems

Hope this helps

Uptick

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2022, 01:13:30 PM »

Thank you, Kady. In this case, you have a slightly higher chance of having hormonal (including premature ovarian failure) and autoimmune problems, depending on the exact location of the X;7 translocation. One good thing about translocations involving the X chromosome is that there is a random process of inactivation of one of the two X chromosomes in females (called Lyonization), which produces a milder phenotype (signs and symptoms). In the case of translocations involving the X chromosome, this process may be nonrandom and most cells will inactivate the translocated X, so the bearer of a balanced translocation sometimes is not affected at all.

Kady2022

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2022, 02:11:26 PM »

Thank you, Kady. In this case, you have a slightly higher chance of having hormonal (including premature ovarian failure) and autoimmune problems, depending on the exact location of the X;7 translocation. One good thing about translocations involving the X chromosome is that there is a random process of inactivation of one of the two X chromosomes in females (called Lyonization), which produces a milder phenotype (signs and symptoms). In the case of translocations involving the X chromosome, this process may be nonrandom and most cells will inactivate the translocated X, so the bearer of a balanced translocation sometimes is not affected at all.

So the balanced translocation can bring on early menopause?

Uptick

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2022, 04:31:42 PM »

In theory, yes. I would need to know the exact location of the translocation to be more precise.

Kady2022

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2022, 04:47:08 PM »

In theory, yes. I would need to know the exact location of the translocation to be more precise.

They never told me the location of the translocation just that I was a carrier of it
Pages: [1] 2