Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Feeling tearful +new HRT  (Read 1057 times)

Pixielilac

Feeling tearful +new HRT
« on: July 29, 2022, 04:46:27 PM »

Long story a bit short for background-After breaking my toe 8th June, 2 weeks later I got a blood clot, so was taken off my tablet HRT, put on a gel and Utrogestan, couldn’t tolerate Utrogestan a few years ago and couldn’t this time. So took off hrt completely until doc heard from Haemotolgy if I can go back on HRT. 3 weeks later heard nothing so spoke to DVT nurses who spoke to Haemotolgy and 24 hours later I have Everol Conti patches.
They would not stick at all, I read about Tegaderm so ordered some.
In the meantime I rang docs to see what my options are and he has done a prescription (which I won’t collect yet as I want to try the Tegaderm first) and the prescription is for Estradiol gel 0.06% 2 pumps once a day and Provera 10mg once a day for the last 14 days of cycle.
I looked this up and from what I can tell this means I will have a monthly bleed?
I don’t know why but this has me sitting here in floods of tears, the Tagerderm has arrived and I have cleaned where I’m going to put the patch with an alcohol wipe and stuck the patch on with the Tegaderm over the top.
I’ve today finished a week’s course of co amoxiclav for a UTI and now I am on 1 a night for 3 months.
I don’t know what’s wrong with me, I am so down and keep crying over nothing.
Could it be because I have been off the HRT for a little while?
The patch under the Tegaderm kind of feels like a bit crispy when I press it under the Tegaderm when I press it to make sure it’s still stuck down, is that normal?
Wish I never bought that bloody Ikea drawers, then I wouldn’t have broken my toe on it ☹️
« Last Edit: July 29, 2022, 10:34:29 PM by Pixielilac »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Feeling tearful +new HRT
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2022, 05:27:27 PM »

for a UTI. has this been confirmed by a urine sample being sent to a Lab to see if it grows a bug?

If not, you don't require antibiotics.   :-\

It's been exceptionally warm so patches may not stick on their own.  Making sure that the skin is completely dry can help. Get a roll of (bugga) can't remember the name: ?? mini pore ?? to put over the patch to encourage it to remain in place.

Crying with frustration mayB? 

Pixielilac

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2022, 05:43:58 PM »

Thankyou CLKD, I think it is frustration at it all. Doctor said possibly an embedded UTI as symptoms clear while on antibiotics but come back after, and he said my last wee sample sent away was postive but I was told it was negative. So I was put on the 3 month course, so not sure if I actually did have a UTI.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2022, 06:10:32 PM »

No GP should treat a patient with ABs as each is becoming resistant to bugs  >:(

Has he not discussed vaginal atrophy with you  :-\ ......... I wouldn't take the AB but ask for appropriate VA treatment.  ABs will ease symptoms but won't stop atrophy returning!

If your GP really believes it's an embedded urinatry tract infection he should be referring you to a urologist!

How do you feel generally about taking ABs on an 'in case' basis?  Have U tried VA treatment ... sorry , menobrain  :-\

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2022, 06:14:53 PM »

Hi.

Now don’t quote me on this, but I’m sure I read somewhere that taking ABs at the same time as HRT can weaken the effect of the hrt. ???? Don’t know if that’s true or not, maybe someone can correct me on that.
I used tagerderm over the top of my patches too when I was on them, but I changed to oral hrt in the end.
It could be your body getting used to the hrt again why your feeling down, plus, your hormones would’ve dropped whilst being off it. Your supposed to give it 3 months to see if it suits you, but if it’s too much for you, and you can’t carry on, it may be you need to change it again. It may all settle down, and you won’t have too. 🤞🏼
Sorry if I’m wrong about the ABs, I’m hoping someone will come on and either confirm or not.
Xx

Pixielilac

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2022, 06:26:32 PM »

CLKD I was  diagnosed with VA a few moths ago and am on Ovestin.
I don’t think I’m going to take the one a night antibiotics, I’m going to use Ovestin about 4 times a week now.
jillydoll I’m sure I’ve read this as well.
I seem to be permanently on antibiotics for UTI’s.

Pixielilac

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2022, 06:55:58 PM »

Forgot to say, I only got the new HRT patches on Wednesday and they wouldn’t stick on, today is the longest I have had one on as I got the Tegaderm today and stuck that over it.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2022, 10:26:40 PM by Pixielilac »

Kat36

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2022, 11:59:06 PM »

Hi Pixielilac, Just wanted to chime in on a couple of things. A few years ago I was getting recurrent UTIs…I was so frustrated. In the end did some research and found out D-Mannose works well. One of the best discoveries ever…I’ve literally not had an infection since I’ve used it.  Bladapure is what I use.
On the subject of the Evorel patches, I get the frustration.  They do feel crinkly & not grippy…but I assure you they are. I find that if I hold it really firmly with my palm when I first put in on for about a minute it’s usually ok. I’ve also stopped worrying about it coming away very slightly at the edges as the days wear on as my GP says it really won’t make too much of a difference.  I also experimented with tegaderm, but after a lengthy conversation with the pharmacist and feeling like the estrogen was dipping while doing this- I stopped.  The pharmacist said micropore is ok if desperate but nothing else. 

Pixielilac

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2022, 12:03:57 AM »

Kat36 Thankyou for your rely, the crinkly thing was worrying me a bit, and I remember now someone recommending d manoose, I’ll look at getting that, and I think I have micropore somewhere as well.

violetbat

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2022, 07:35:51 AM »

The only way I can get my patches to stick is by using rubbing alcohol on the skin first. When I put the patch on I hold something warm on it for about a minute- usually my tea cup that has a bit of tea left in- so not scolding hot. This makes a huge difference to activating the glue.
Saying that I was given a different make to Everol this time( we are grateful to get anything atall where I live) and they are harder to get to stick.