Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: My hair!  (Read 1509 times)

Megamom

• First Flush
My hair!
« on: July 22, 2022, 06:35:56 PM »

Hi, I’m new to the forums.
I guess my menopause seems fairly easy compared to some I have read, but it has still hit me like a brick.
I first knew I was in trouble when I couldn’t sleep and began to have concentration problems, especially at work.  I started taking HRT at that point, about 5 years ago. Then came the joint pains.  And the crashing fatigue.  And the night sweats.  And the memory problems.  Such fogginess!  Libido - out the window.           
I was already tending towards being overweight due to a change of job and lifestyle, but then I seemed to be gaining weight for no good reason.  Seriously - my husband eats the same as me and is losing weight.
All that said, until now I’ve been trying to just look after myself and go with the flow.  Doing all the right things and putting up with all the bad ones. 
But now I’m *annoyed* (or stronger words to that effect) about something that feels so much more trivial.  MY HAIR!
I had been prepared to expect hair loss, or at least thinning.  As a child I had alopecia, so I’ve always had fine straight hair.  And since I can barely co-ordinate a brush and hairdryer let alone anything else, I’ve always worn it short, in variations of a pixie style.  So what’s going on with the curls?!!
During covid my hair got a little longer than usual, and I noticed it was slightly wavy.  Got rid of that as soon as possible.  But now even my normal short cut is getting curly.  It’s in good condition, not noticeably thinner, just won’t lie flat anymore.  I do my best to clag it down before I leave the house, and by the time I get to the end of the drive, I look like I just woke up and couldn’t be bothered.
Waaaaahhh!
Anyone else found a way to cope with this without having to risk 3rd degree burns from straighteners?
Love to all
Tracey

Cazikins

Re: My hair!
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2022, 06:43:11 PM »

Hi Tracey, welcome to MM
The only thing I can think of is maybe a higher strength HRT or a different type. What are you taking at the moment?
I have been very, very fortunate with my hair as it is still thick, shiny and fairly long (well shoulder length), however I have put on over a stone & it's all around my tummy, hips & bum.
Keep reading old posts asking questions. Don't be down hearted you've joined a fantastic forum with a great group of woman.
Cazikins  :cat48: :cat48:

« Last Edit: July 22, 2022, 07:44:42 PM by Cazikins »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2022, 07:25:16 PM »

Hi!  As oestrogen levels drop muscles may become lax = aches and pains.  As well as the body may become dry: inside and out!

Browse round.  Make notes.  My hairdresser explained that hair follicles don't renew as often as we age as well as the hair can become thinner = loss of bulk.  I have used Aussie shampoo in recent weeks and it seems to help.  We have several threads on hair loss  ::) with varying suggestions.

Megamom

• First Flush
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2022, 04:34:58 PM »

Thanks both.  I’m taking Kliovance at the moment, and up to 6 months ago things were okay.  Then I started having even more extreme fatigue and various aches and pains.
Unfortunately my fantastic GP retired a few months ago, and the ones I’ve seen since don’t want to mess with the HRT.  The last one even increased my antidepressant to see if that would help, although to be honest I’ve not taken any extra since.
The hair thing is just the last straw really. 
I’ve also just been diagnosed with hypertension (from the pharmacist, not the GP who was not interested) so hopefully this might help with the fatigue.
Really pleased I finally engaged with MM :)