Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Aching Joints, hands etc. and HRT  (Read 2049 times)

Poppy61

Aching Joints, hands etc. and HRT
« on: July 21, 2022, 05:23:57 PM »

Good Evening Ladies I started HRT in March this year and two days in, joints; aching, painful hands and feet; muscle stiffness, all improved greatly. It took a while to sort my dose out (too much too soon originally), but eventually everything settled and my night heats finally disappeared as well. Success. This week, hands, feet and back are starting to be painful again and I wondered if now I have found my baseline, do I possibly need a higher HRT dose? I'm 61, 5 years post meno, on Evorel 50 combined patch. No arthritis found in recent tests. Has anyone else found that symptoms disappeared, came back and you had to up your dose?  x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Aching Joints, hands etc. and HRT
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2022, 05:33:59 PM »

I think I mentioned in another thread:

As oestrogen levels drop muscles may become lax = aches and pains.   Over the counter pain relief should help, HRT may well do so. 

As oestrogen levels drop the body may become dry: inside and out. 

Do U keep amood/food/symptom diary to chart progress?

Dierdre

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2022, 05:48:32 PM »

I've suffered this week with joints aching that is usual for winter months, the humidity has been so high. Feels a bit easier today as fluid retention as also lessoned due to heat. You would think the heat would help.

Poppy61

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2022, 06:13:11 PM »

Thank you CLKD. HRT has helped massively until this week. I've mentally charted progress, which is how I have noticed this week that some original meno symptoms are back. All vitamin levels are at top of range.  Hoping the night heats don't come back as well. I'm wondering if need to up my HRT dose x

Poppy61

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2022, 06:17:47 PM »

Hello Dierdre I did wonder if the extreme heat had played a part this week. I've been gardening today and my hands hurt in exactly the same way they did before I took HRT. Iching on wrists and arms back again. That also disappeared after starting HRT. I am pleased to hear that everything is feeling a bit easier for you today x

joziel

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2022, 08:39:05 PM »

Yes, you might need an increase. If you're on a 50 now, see if you can get some 25 patches as well. That would mean 75 in total, but you could begin by cutting the 25s in half and going to 62.5. (After my experience with increasing estrogen and horrible side effects, I'm all for doing this gradually in small stages!!)

Poppy61

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2022, 07:37:41 AM »

Morning joziel thank you for your reply. Is the return of symptoms something you have experienced? I already have some 25 patches, but they are oestrogen only ; they don't seem do an Evorel combined 25???! Totally agree with you as to the gradual increases. Like you, I learnt the hard way! x

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2022, 07:54:30 AM »

I do remember my Paternal Grandad complaining that his joints ached, days B4 rain arrived.   ::)

joziel

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2022, 09:28:27 AM »

Oh sorry I missed the bit where you said it was Evorel Conti. It is hard to increase the estrogen on those because you're locked in with the amount in the patch and the progesterone is often said to only be enough for the patch, not additional estrogen.

Some doctors are happy to let you add say a pump of gel as well, without extra progesterone. That would probably be the simplest thing to try. Other doctors are not happy that the amount of progesterone in the patch is sufficient for additional estrogen - in which case you might need to switch to separate progesterone and estrogen, usually utrogestan 100mg at night and a separate patch. Could stick with the Evorels if they work for you in the Conti version - they make one which is just estrogen. Then you could have an Evorel 75 patch and separate utrogestan.

Dierdre

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2022, 10:35:51 AM »

Hello Dierdre I did wonder if the extreme heat had played a part this week. I've been gardening today and my hands hurt in exactly the same way they did before I took HRT. Iching on wrists and arms back again. That also disappeared after starting HRT. I am pleased to hear that everything is feeling a bit easier for you today x
Just wondering if you have noticed an improvement now the weather is cooler? My fingers aren't swollen  anymore with fluid retention and the joints are fine now.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2022, 10:55:26 AM by Dierdre »

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2022, 10:52:33 AM »

Some pregnant ladies suffer Carpal Tunnel Syndrome which eases after delivery.  So hormones can certainly upset joints etc..  I don't know part of pregnancy they are affected.

Poppy61

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2022, 03:14:48 PM »

Deirdre, yes, a little better thank you (I'm very pleased you are feeling better x), but overall just feeling like my patches are not as effective as they were and wondering if I need to up my dose. X

Dierdre

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2022, 03:19:21 PM »

Maybe try it for a couple of weeks to see if there's any difference. You can always go back to the lower dosage if it's not an improvement or feels worse.

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2022, 03:24:16 PM »

MayB don't alter all at once  :-\ ? little steps ?

Poppy61

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2022, 06:28:02 PM »

Thank you girls; good advice. I'm also going to listen to my body and I've stuck an extra 1/4 of 50 combined patch on, taking me up to 62.5. I'll see how it goes. Have a lovely evening x
Pages: [1] 2