Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Reduced HRT = VA?  (Read 1307 times)

Tora

Reduced HRT = VA?
« on: July 20, 2022, 10:08:01 AM »

Hi,
Would really appreciate your opinion here as I’ve got a doc calling at 4pm, sorry I know not much time.
Two weeks ago I halved my daily oestrogen without telling my doc, continued on 14 days of Utrogestan. Felt good, didn’t feel any difference until last 48 hours. I’ve had to get up for a pee 3 times a night for last 2 nights and feel really sore and inflamed on inside of labia. Never had this before, yesterday I blamed the hot weather.
I have Ovestin and Vagifem here but am not sure whether to use them or return to full dose HRT. Once we use either/both is it a case of having to use them forever?
Thanks.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Reduced HRT = VA?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2022, 10:24:55 AM »

If you have them use them!   Get a treatment up there now and another later this evening.  R U. planning on using the 'vagifem' internally and 'ovestin' on the outer labial area?  I find 'ovestin' sufficient for both.  This isn't HRT per se, though some find that they require full HRT as well as VA treatment. 

VA is for ever unless you are very lucky!  Symptoms are due to a loss of oestrogen which may dry the body: inside and out.

Vaginal atrophy mimics urine infection symptoms really really well.  When I get the need2P, I take 2 Nurofen 3 times a day.

CLKD

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2022, 10:25:23 AM »

And in case your GP dithers, muttering 'that's too much oestrogen', don't listen ;-)

Ayesha

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2022, 10:56:58 AM »

Ovestin and Vagifem are both HRT and are used locally for the specific treatment of Vaginal Atrophy.  It’s a chronic condition and the sooner you start the treatment the better because it takes a long time to take effect, months even!

I can’t comment on your systemic HRT, that will be for you and your doctor to discuss but it can be used along with VA treatment.
Good luck on whatever you decide to do!

Taz2

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2022, 11:55:49 AM »

When I've been asked to reduce my hrt the vaginal discomfort is the first symptom to return

Taz x

JoJo42

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2022, 12:18:53 PM »

I did a “trial without”hrt patches recently and then shortly after I had a flare up of V.A so I presumed that was the problem as I’m on daily vagifem. I went back on the patches. Then, in my wisdom  :beat: I decided to mess about with my patches again and had another flare up of v.a. (mainly bladder problems).  I won’t be messing about with anything again as that’s the only thing I can put it down to.

Tora

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2022, 06:43:32 PM »

Thanks CLKD, Ayesha, Taz2 & Jojo42, it’s the reduction in HRT that’s brought it on. Doc said use Vagifem now and when I go to bed and use Ovestin as often as needed. He’s ordered a hormone test which I’m having tomorrow so I can go back to my usual dose after the tests.
He said I might be lucky and the systemic will fix the VA symptoms but it could take two weeks.
I was trying to reduce as everybody seems to takes less here, the Doc also said that vA or bladder symptoms are usually the first to return (I didn’t have those before) and that more symptoms are likely to follow unless I return to correct dose.

He also said I’d be on systemic for life and highly unlikely to be reduced for 10 years!

Thanks for all your help.

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2022, 06:47:00 PM »

Well done that GP!  Most try to wean women off HRT  >:( .......

Do a reload: every night for 2/3 weeks then as necessary.  Usually it's every 3rd and 7th night.  Some require it nightly for ever.

Tora

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2022, 10:33:14 PM »

Thanks CLKD, I did start the Vagifem and Ovestin after your reply this morning, it relieved the soreness very quickly so thanks for helping so quickly. My prescription has been emailed to me earlier and to Boots, it’s foreign so I just hope they will dispense and have stock!

Is needing the bathroom 3 times a night always VA? I don’t have dryness and am not sore inside and don’t get bladder ache. I suppose I’m really hoping going back on high systemic will stop these symptoms.

Thanks ladies for helping. Jojo42, I won’t be messing again either!

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2022, 08:46:40 AM »

If the VA treatment helps I wouldn't query the ins and outs.  Use it for 3 months than have a break to see if symptoms return?  VA symptoms can creep up  >:(

Ayesha

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2022, 01:20:48 PM »

Is needing the bathroom 3 times a night always VA? I don’t have dryness and am not sore inside and don’t get bladder ache. I suppose I’m really hoping going back on high systemic will stop these symptoms.

It usually is, what you need now is to use the treatment, have patience and you will start to improve. Don't ever underestimate VA, its a very nasty condition! 

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2022, 02:54:31 PM »

When I get the need2P, I take 2 Nurofen 3 times a day etc....

lillith112

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2022, 05:05:10 PM »

Each time I've come off my patches I get horrific bladder symptoms, so bad at one point I couldn't leave the house and ended up seeing a gyno-urinary consultant. It was severe urgency like cystitis, but urine was clear. It was awful and I wouldn't want a repeat. Within a week back on patches it was gone. ☺️

Tora

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2022, 11:41:51 AM »

Thanks ladies, really appreciate your help.
The symptoms have gone so I think it was caught early on, I will continue to use both treatments just in case.

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2022, 11:58:42 AM »

Continue with treatment ........... that way symptoms will ease so you won't be focussed on the problem as often. 
Pages: [1] 2