Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Hi-Does vaginal progesterone do better at controlling bleeding?  (Read 894 times)

Dandelion

Hi-Does vaginal progesterone do better at controlling bleeding?
« on: September 22, 2022, 06:00:12 PM »

Does vaginal progesterone do better at controlling bleeding?

I'm not bleeding, I am asking because I currently take 100 mg utrogestan orally and 100 mg vaginally, but I am thinking of taking the whole 200mg orally, and I have had hassle with abnormal bleeding before.

I want to try all oral to see if this helps my anxiety, as the oral calms me down.

Clarella

Re: Hi-Does vaginal progesterone do better at controlling bleeding?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2022, 08:13:37 PM »

My Gp said it did but I’ve never seen or heard of anyone else saying it does.

You could try and if it’s not strong enough go back to both.

Anxiety can also be not enough oestrogen. For mood levels apparently need to be a bit higher. Around 400-600 though someone here said their consultant says 800

Dandelion

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2022, 04:47:16 AM »

My Gp said it did but I’ve never seen or heard of anyone else saying it does.

You could try and if it’s not strong enough go back to both.

Anxiety can also be not enough oestrogen. For mood levels apparently need to be a bit higher. Around 400-600 though someone here said their consultant says 800
Hello :)
I did think about giving it a try, however, I am dependent on drugs that act on the same receptors as the metabolites of utrogestan, and, like other women, on a well known benzodiazepine support forum, and a couple on here, I fear that different levels of these metabolites will hit my GABA and destabilise me, like it did before, when I only took utrogestan for two weeks in a month in peri.

I also thought about not enough oestrogen, as I have been getting adrenaline surges in my stomach on the morning recently, just like I did when peri started.
With me bleeding on 50mcg I hope she will let me take an extra half patch.
I do get a brown discharge also, this last few months, I had bleeds, it's a right hassle, bleeds on a dose that I don't feel anxious on, and brown discharge on 25mcg, as it's not enough.
I don't know if the brown discharge is anything to worry about.
I agree my oestrogen levels could have dropped, but I think this is unusual at age 56, when things should be stabilising, as I come through a 13+year journey with menopause.
Sorry for the ramble.

Clarella

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2022, 06:12:21 AM »

Ah I see - have you had covid recently? It can cause period issues for even up to 6 months afterwards. 3-4 months is more common

Dandelion

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2022, 06:48:08 AM »

Ah I see - have you had covid recently? It can cause period issues for even up to 6 months afterwards. 3-4 months is more common
I had covid in March.
I am not menstruating though, a bit old for that :)
I didn't know covid caused period issues though.
I had discharge since around February.

Kathleen

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2022, 07:57:41 AM »

Hello ladies.

I always felt that Utrogestan wasn't very good at controlling any bleeding or discharge, though I imagine the amount of oestrogen is also a factor.
My last experience with Utrogestan I found I was getting frequent brown smudges and when I accidentally missed a dose I had a full on bleed. Since then I have changed my regime and now use Cyclogest pessaries and reduced oestrogen and all my spotting has resolved.

I hope this helps in some way.

K.

Dandelion

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2022, 09:19:10 PM »

Hello ladies.

I always felt that Utrogestan wasn't very good at controlling any bleeding or discharge, though I imagine the amount of oestrogen is also a factor.
My last experience with Utrogestan I found I was getting frequent brown smudges and when I accidentally missed a dose I had a full on bleed. Since then I have changed my regime and now use Cyclogest pessaries and reduced oestrogen and all my spotting has resolved.

I hope this helps in some way.

K.
Thanks, yes I get that.