Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: how to stop medication freezing from ice packs in cool box/bag?  (Read 999 times)

Dandelion

How do you stop medication freezing from ice packs in cool box/bag?

The bags/boxes I have looked at on amazon have no compartments to slip the ice packs into and I fear the oestrogen patches or utrogestan getting too cold if they touch the packs.

Sorry for the silly question, the answer is probably obvious but my mind is blank.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: how to stop medication freezing from ice packs in cool box/bag?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2022, 08:17:24 AM »

Why not keep to a single thread on the same topic  :-\

Pippa52

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2022, 08:52:57 AM »

Dandelion - I have bought a cooler box off Amazon and have packed my HRT and medicines in wool insulation inside the box.  I feel at least that way it will hopefully insulate them from the high temperatures and have put the box in the coolest room in the house with curtains closed etc. xx

Dandelion

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2022, 04:46:16 PM »

Why not keep to a single thread on the same topic  :-\
Sorry I always, (perhaps, neurotically), due to "time-squeeze-factor", fear posts getting missed, with the hot weather being tomorrow.
I bought a polar gear bag and ice boards, it has a compartment in for valuables too.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2022, 04:57:48 PM by Dandelion »

Dandelion

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2022, 04:56:50 PM »

Dandelion - I have bought a cooler box off Amazon and have packed my HRT and medicines in wool insulation inside the box.  I feel at least that way it will hopefully insulate them from the high temperatures and have put the box in the coolest room in the house with curtains closed etc. xx
Hi Pippa, Please excuse my confusion, are you saying that you put wrapping loft insulation around your medication boxes to prevent them from freezing by the ice blocks?
I asked because I googled "wool insulation" and that yellow loft insulation came up.

I thought I bought a "Polar Gear" cool bag, together with three "freeze board"s, "bottle" like objects, filled with fluid, from Robert Dyas, today.
The cool bag itself, without ice-blocks, is supposed to keep stuff cool for upto 7 hours.
I bought the freeze-boards though, so I would not have to have the hassle of finding somewhere else after 7 hours.
The bag is a handy shape in that I can stand it up. It is nice and big.
Perhaps, I could put the meds at one end and stand the freeze-board at the other end.
I'm probably being neurotic about this whole thing, I just think peace of mind cannot be bought.
The temps are extreme tomorrow, and the fear of all my meds being damaged in one day freaked me out.

The pharmacist suggested asking for new prescriptions if I am unsure.
I am on diazepam also, prescribed by my psychiatrist, he gives me a months worth at a time, as I am weaning off, and doing well.
I cannot "miss-a-dose" during the weaning off process, because it destabilises the diazepam levels in my blood.
I remember vomiting up a dose, during an upset stomach, I know it got spewed up as I took it straight before I vomited, and the psychiatrist refused to replace the missed dose, so, I very much doubt he will give me another month's supply, if, by, chance, tomorrow's freak temperatures, do degrade my valium.
Neurotic as it seems, buying the bag and freeze-boards just for one day, takes away the worry. I am grateful to have the £20+ to be able to have bought them.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2022, 04:58:36 PM by Dandelion »

Pippa52

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2022, 07:16:33 PM »

Hi Pippa, Please excuse my confusion, are you saying that you put wrapping loft insulation around your medication boxes to prevent them from freezing by the ice blocks?
I asked because I googled "wool insulation" and that yellow loft insulation came up.

I thought I bought a "Polar Gear" cool bag, together with three "freeze board"s, "bottle" like objects, filled with fluid, from Robert Dyas, today.
The cool bag itself, without ice-blocks, is supposed to keep stuff cool for upto 7 hours.
I bought the freeze-boards though, so I would not have to have the hassle of finding somewhere else after 7 hours.
Perhaps, I could put the meds at one end and stand the freeze-board at the other end.
I'm probably being neurotic about this whole thing, I just think peace of mind cannot be bought.
The temps are extreme tomorrow, and the fear of all my meds being damaged in one day freaked me out.

I am on diazepam also, prescribed by my psychiatrist, he gives me a months worth at a time, as I am weaning off, and doing well.
I cannot "miss-a-dose" during the weaning off process, because it destabilises the diazepam levels in my blood.
I remember vomiting up a dose, during an upset stomach, I know it got spewed up as I took it straight before I vomited, and the psychiatrist refused to replace the missed dose, so, I very much doubt he will give me another month's supply, if, by, chance, tomorrow's freak temperatures, do degrade my valium.
Neurotic as it seems, buying the bag and freeze-boards just for one day, takes away the worry. I am grateful to have the £20+ to be able to have bought them.

Hi Dandelion - no its not the stuff they put in roof insulation.  Its what they pack stuff in when they want it to keep cold when being delivered by couriers/post office etc  (like frozen dog food etc)  It is sheep's wool all pressed together and it is brilliant at insulating.  So glad you have bought some things you are happy with and they sound perfect and I am sure will keep everything at the right temperature. Completely understand your worry and so glad you have sorted things out so you are happy.  xxx

Dandelion

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2022, 12:57:46 AM »

Hi Dandelion - no its not the stuff they put in roof insulation.  Its what they pack stuff in when they want it to keep cold when being delivered by couriers/post office etc  (like frozen dog food etc)  It is sheep's wool all pressed together and it is brilliant at insulating.  So glad you have bought some things you are happy with and they sound perfect and I am sure will keep everything at the right temperature. Completely understand your worry and so glad you have sorted things out so you are happy.  xxx
Sorry for the confusion regarding loft insulation.
That sounds great. I just am going to put my freeze-board in the plastic pocket in my cool bag, it's totally chock a block full. I had to put stuff in a Tupperware airtight box, the patches and diazepam are in the bag, I will put the ice block in the bag tomorrow before I go out if it's not too hot to go out.
Yeah, the peace of mind is worth it. My friend is on psych meds and she is just going to risk it. She says her bungalow is nice and cool but it's not air conditioned.
I would just have worried, seems a waste to spend £20 on one or two days hot weather, but I have a month's supply of valium and more hrt and I would be paranoid about it not working.

Pippa52

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2022, 08:16:43 AM »

Dandelion you have definitely done the right thing - it will give you peace of mind too that your meds will all be fine xx

Ayesha

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2022, 09:14:47 AM »

Peace of mind is everything to me, I can relax knowing my meds are at the correct temp.
I started of with one pack of Ovestin, now its increased to all our meds in the cool box. Even Gaviscon can't be stored above 30 degrees, I live near Heathrow and our temps will probably be over the 40 degrees today.

Dandelion

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2022, 09:25:48 PM »

I only left my cool bag open all night in the room that gets the sun in the window on a morning, meaning to put the ice block in this morning, I think it will be ok though, I think we can worry too much