Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Scared to take HRT  (Read 1728 times)

Tweel

• First Flush
Scared to take HRT
« on: July 22, 2022, 07:11:20 PM »

Hi, I'm new here.  :) I took the plunge today and got a script for Estradiol and Utrogestan. I'm 51 and the worst symptom for me is low mood. I feel like someone has stolen my happy  :-\ IMy marriage is hanging on by a thread and feel its all my fault. :'( My husband isn't very supportive which makes me even more angry with him. I pick my script up on Monday. I think she said one pump of the gel and 1 Utrogestan for 26(?) days. Does this sound about right?

Forgot to say, taking HRT scares me. I'm thinking it could make me worse?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2022, 07:13:57 PM by Tweel »

Flossieteacake

Re: Scared to take HRT
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2022, 07:15:18 PM »

Hello Tweel. Welcome to the forum. You were really brave to go to your GP and discuss how you are feeling and ask for HRT. I can understand it can be scary trying it as you do not know what to expect. Maybe it will help to remind yourself that you can stop it if it does not agree with you.

Are you sure you have been given Estradiol? I ask as I was not aware it was a gel. I may just not be aware of the gel kind. Ultrogestan is a tablet. Some women find inserting it vaginally causes less side effects but we are all different.

I am sorry to read you are struggling with a low mood. It is a horrid symptom. Hopefully the HRT can help with this. There are lots of lovely people on here who will support you and understand.  :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2022, 07:22:11 PM »

Hi! there is a good search box on the Forum, put the product names in to see what pops up.  Make notes.  One product at a time ;-)

Do print off 'hints for husbands' and hand to him.  He may be afraid that his wife is changing without him knowing why, or has he always be non supportive?

Tweel

• First Flush
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2022, 09:00:25 PM »

Hello Tweel. Welcome to the forum. You were really brave to go to your GP and discuss how you are feeling and ask for HRT. I can understand it can be scary trying it as you do not know what to expect. Maybe it will help to remind yourself that you can stop it if it does not agree with you.

Are you sure you have been given Estradiol? I ask as I was not aware it was a gel. I may just not be aware of the gel kind. Ultrogestan is a tablet. Some women find inserting it vaginally causes less side effects but we are all different.

I am sorry to read you are struggling with a low mood. It is a horrid symptom. Hopefully the HRT can help with this. There are lots of lovely people on here who will support you and understand.  :)

Thank you for your reply. I think its known as Oestrogel and as far as I'm aware its a gel. Don't quote me on that though because I haven't collected it yet. Can you insert the Utrogestan vaginally or would that be a different form? 🤔 The progesterone scares me a little bit as I've read that it can make your low mood worse. I can't risk that 🤦‍♀️

Flossieteacake

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2022, 09:04:09 PM »

Thank you for your reply. I think its known as Oestrogel and as far as I'm aware its a gel. Don't quote me on that though because I haven't collected it yet. Can you insert the Utrogestan vaginally or would that be a different form? 🤔 The progesterone scares me a little bit as I've read that it can make your low mood worse. I can't risk that 🤦‍♀️

Oh yes, that is a gel. I can understand you feeling concerned in case the progesterone makes you feel low. If that were to happen then you can just stop it. After a day or so you will go back to how you were previously.

With ultrogestan there is different instructions for people who have periods to people who do not. I do not have periods. Hopefully somebody will post who is familiar with that.

Tweel

• First Flush
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2022, 09:05:54 PM »

Hi! there is a good search box on the Forum, put the product names in to see what pops up.  Make notes.  One product at a time ;-)

Do print off 'hints for husbands' and hand to him.  He may be afraid that his wife is changing without him knowing why, or has he always be non supportive?

Thank you for taking the time to reply ❤️ We've spoken about perimenopause and he sat and watched Davina's documentary with me but I don't feel he really 'gets it'. He's not supportive in the way I'd like him to be, he just tells me he's 'here if I need him'. He's not a big talker and very introverted emotionally. I don't have friends I can talk to. I have 3 daughters but share very little with them, they have their own lives. Hence me finding this forum. I shall be having a good read through it over the weekend. 👍

Tweel

• First Flush
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2022, 09:10:21 PM »

Oh yes, that is a gel. I can understand you feeling concerned in case the progesterone makes you feel low. If that were to happen then you can just stop it. After a day or so you will go back to how you were previously.

With ultrogestan there is different instructions for people who have periods to people who do not. I do not have periods. Hopefully somebody will post who is familiar with that.
[/quote]

I will have a good read of the instructions. I do still have periods which leave me housebound for 2 days for fear of leaking. Hoping HRT may help with that too!  It's good to hear that I can just stop it if it makes me feel worse. Would U stop the oestrogel aswell if I stopped the progesterone?

Dotty

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2022, 06:53:11 AM »

Hi Tweel
If you still have periods then you take the Utrogestan for 12 days of every month (200mg ) on days 15-26 of your cycle.

Try not to think about side effects. There are many many ladies who use hrt and have no side effects at all. x

Ecl

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2022, 08:14:49 AM »

Hi Tween,

I understand being scared and anxious, but please don’t worry. Your gp has given you the”gold standard”, and it’s worth a good go. Most women find their right level with a bit of help and it can be plain sailing.
I am soon to be 51 and have been on HRT for about a year now. I started on gel and utrogestan and am now on a patch and utrogestan. I take the utrogestan for 12 days out of 4 weeks. There was an adaptation period, but that settled after a few months.
Most women who are still having periods would be put on that regime, 2x utrogestan a night for 12 days, however those who are post menopausal will take 1x utrogestan a night every night. The leaflet also gives the option of 1 a night for 25 or 26 days. Most GP s don’t use this option but it is also there, get your prescription and see what instructions the pharmacist prints on it for you. For some women, usually those with endometriosis, they may be instructed to use utrogestan every night even if they still have periods. This all means that there are options for you if one style doesn’t suit you, however my advice would be to take what your doctor advised for 3 months and then see how you feel. Low mood can sometimes take longer to resolve than hot flushes, so while physical symptoms can go in the first few weeks, low mood can take 3 months or more.
Honestly, there are lots of us on HRT happily so please don’t worry.

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2022, 08:24:06 AM »

Historically some men don't 'know' about womens' reproductive issues.  Also they cannot empathise; it would be nice to feel that they listen at the very least  ::)

He's not supportive in the way I'd like him to be.  also men aren't mind readers.  How much do you need him to know and what type of support would you like?  MayB he doesn't want to be too up front in case he 'gets it wrong' ?  Time to have 'the chat' and lay cards on the table, explaining that though menopause us natural it has thrown up several issues that you weren't expecting.  Ask if he has noticed any changes in the last couple of years in your behaviour (for example) that have worried or confused him.  He probably needs to know that what is happening 'isn't his fault' which is why 'hints for husbands' can be useful.

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2022, 08:25:44 AM »

All Things Menopause section. - if you have a lookC and a read, you'll need a cuppa as it's quite long ;-).  then print off and hand over.

The body may react to HRT which is why some find that keeping a mood/food/diary is useful.  It may take a while for the body to adjust.