Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Chickens Yay!  (Read 17717 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Chickens Yay!
« Reply #75 on: January 08, 2020, 07:44:07 PM »

Make sure that they are shut up securely in a shed.  Lots of straw and access to water.  We under and over wired all our runs to stop badgers and foxes digging into the run and hut.

CLKD

« Reply #76 on: January 08, 2020, 09:02:08 PM »

So were ours.  Chickens in the intergral-garage one hard Winter ...... they would get into the kitchen when possible  ;D

CLKD

« Reply #77 on: January 08, 2020, 09:28:34 PM »

Our 1st 3 : white: were all 'M's ........ Maud, Mabel and Martha.  The next were a Bluebell and a brown type and weren't really named.  I could tell the white Girls apart and they were really amusing.  I miss them round the garden but the neighbours' aren't keen these days to deal when we are away  :-\

CLKD

« Reply #78 on: January 08, 2020, 09:43:18 PM »

:thankyou:  have been googling turkey in the garden  ;D but apparently they eat berries ........... and roost in trees if not put in early enough  ::) and can be quite noisy which is why I didn't buy guinea fowl ............. geese were used on the Ramparts around Paris apparently and at the Bastille ;-)

CLKD

« Reply #79 on: July 19, 2022, 07:55:26 AM »

I miss ours in the garden.  They hail from Indonesia so are likely to roost in trees as well as shelter under shrubs.  They love a dust bath  8)

In the UK we are allowed to keep up to 50 B4 the need to register the flock with DEFRA.  That would be a lot of chooks !

Do watch for red mite as they thrive in the heat and it's rare to get rid of an infestation once it takes hold.  Checking feathers daily as well as dusting everything B4 they arrive is the way to go.  That is: under the feathers and around the vent; spray in between every bit of wood in the shed/hutch especially at the ends of each roosting perch where they touch the main shed; use a good quality straw and compost for dust bathing, LOTS in both.  As well as plenty in the nesting box. 

They hate the light. 1 knows if they are present by putting a hand/arm in the nest box after dark, they will scurry onto the skin to bite!!!! The critters drain chickens of blood = weakness and death. 
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]