Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: Extreme heat  (Read 7411 times)

Dandelion

Re: Extreme heat
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2022, 04:31:28 PM »

A cool box is what I’m going to do Dandelion.

The reason I’m thinking of water is because that’s what the government has warned about for the red areas which I’m in, that there may be water shortages, power cuts and mobile phone coverage out too. It’s because all the demand increases in extreme weather. Water is the last thing I want to run out of! Plants definitely will be affected, farmers are already worried about food crops so I do think it pays to think about it. We aren’t used to these temps here so not set up for it. These warnings so far are not for today or weekend, for Monday and Tuesday.

Does that mean we could turn our taps on and not have any water come out?

I'm just thinking of people panic-buying water, and leaving vulnerable people without?

I looked at cool boxes on amazon, but, they only keep things cool for one day.

I couldn't see a suitable container for my patches and meds the I can keep it in for good.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2022, 04:32:06 PM »

My bathroom isn't suitable as it faces East and gets direct sunshine until 3.30 p.m.

Taz - why would anyone hold an event outside when the UK Government is advising us to stay indoors  :-\.  Even if there is a cooling wind?  A learning curve maybe, keep inside, though it may be cooler outdoors in some areas.  However.

Dandelion

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2022, 04:41:59 PM »

My bathroom isn't suitable as it faces East and gets direct sunshine until 3.30 p.m.

Taz - why would anyone hold an event outside when the UK Government is advising us to stay indoors  :-\.  Even if there is a cooling wind?  A learning curve maybe, keep inside, though it may be cooler outdoors in some areas.  However.
Apparently bathrooms are the worst places to store medications according to some websites.

Ayesha

« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2022, 04:42:46 PM »

You can buy ice blocks for cool bags on Amazon. I have some and will be replacing when needed.

lillith112

« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2022, 04:46:19 PM »

I think I'm just going to put my patches and utro in the fridge for a couple of days.

I have a whole medicine cupboard full of meds that day store under 25c there's no way I can fit all that in there 😳

laszla

« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2022, 05:01:27 PM »

ATB I too am a low BP, fainty type - some general measures I take in boiling weather are:

have at least one chargeable USB fan in the worst case scenario that there's a power cut;
keep extremities cool eg put a frozen washcloth (or cold pack) around neck and feet - this is particularly good to get to sleep;
put a bowl of ice water in front of your fan to help circulate the cooler air;
keep hydrated;
keep shades and windows closed in the daytime

Dandelion

« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2022, 05:20:45 PM »

You can buy ice blocks for cool bags on Amazon. I have some and will be replacing when needed.
Thanks. I used to have some plastic containers that were filed with this liquid to keep valium-milk from going sour when I went out.

ATB

« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2022, 06:17:46 PM »

Laszla, thank you for those tips!!

I don’t think any power cuts will be long, like they can be in winter. Last winter we went nearly 3 days without power. I believe it’s at peak use when everyone puts fans or whatever on. Water it’s because there’s extra demand but shouldn’t be long, should it? Anyway I’m bottling some and half-filling up the bath. Just little precautions in emergencies.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2022, 08:37:18 AM »

As an Island how are we short of water  >:(.  I haven't the energy these days to cart my bath water downstairs the next morning  :-\

Dandelion

« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2022, 12:43:31 PM »

Will the ice blocks make the evorel too cold, can you cover them with something?

Ayesha

« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2022, 01:26:40 PM »

What I’ve done is wrap kitchen roll around my boxed Ovestin cream and placed in a plastic food bag. I’ve also placed my Vit D capsules in the cool box.
I am getting temps of just below 20 degrees in there and everything is nice and dry so I would say the perfect conditions to protect the potency of the meds.

Dandelion

« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2022, 01:38:33 PM »

What I’ve done is wrap kitchen roll around my boxed Ovestin cream and placed in a plastic food bag. I’ve also placed my Vit D capsules in the cool box.
I am getting temps of just below 20 degrees in there and everything is nice and dry so I would say the perfect conditions to protect the potency of the meds.
I have an airtight Tupperware box.
I wonder if putting the patches in there and keeping them in a drawer would help.
I just found it too difficult selecting the right cool box and ice packs.

ElkWarning

« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2022, 05:30:17 PM »

Can't help you with the meds, but grew up in the Middle East and Africa minus reliable power ...

I think I've said elsewhere, but if you do have power, plastic drink bottles filled with water and deep frozen, then put in front of a fan. It's like a DIY air con.

Those packs you use in cool boxes, put one under your pillow on a hot night.

Hang wet cloth at open doors and windows, not sure how it works, but sort of absorbs some of the heat, like a reverse storage heater.

It's ok to drink rehydration salts (like the ones you get for after d&v) if you're worried about sweating out too much.

You can also put a stone in the freezer and, once cool, get it out and use it on forehead / grip in hand / pass over nape of neck. I find this helps me with panic asw.

Eat late, like 9pm.

Get in the sea - this is literally my plan.

sheila99

« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2022, 05:56:42 PM »

Or live in a stone house. Always nice and cool in mine.

getting_old

« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2022, 06:41:29 PM »

Apparently bathrooms are the worst places to store medications according to some websites.

I think that's because of steam / humidity from showers.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7