Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Return of anxiety  (Read 3502 times)

Amazing grace

Return of anxiety
« on: July 15, 2022, 11:10:41 AM »

Hi, I left the site because finally I found a very good place regarding menopause, and felt it was time for me to move on, but unfortunately I find myself back and looking for advice, I will just give you some background on my situation I had a hysterectomy retained ovaries at 43, but was peri from age 38, I struggled for 4 years trying to find a balance on hrt, I've had every symptom going anxiety in early peri was severe and caused me to be house bound for 8 months, controlled with AD and cbt, for the last year I've been really good, still had some symptoms but accepted I would never find perfection, and learned to live and accept existing symptoms that would come and go, suddenly out of nowhere I'm back to that all knowing familiar feeling of anxiety, jittery, shaky, fuzzy head, nervous about going out, muscles are tense, headaches, feeling spacey and floaty, weak wobbly legs, racing heart and palpitations, had lots of tests for heart all is normal, but I'm now struggling to get it under control, I don't understand the sudden return after feeling so good, I have no stress in my life at all, my life is very good and happy, I'm looking for advice from ladies who had a return of anxiety, also looking for advice regarding propranolol, as gp has given me this to ease racing heart and physical symptoms of anxiety, I was on amlodipine for blood pressure but now taking propranolol, my regime of hrt and meds is as follows
3x pumps of estrogel daily
Ovestin x2 weekly (no problems with va at all now)
10mg amitriptyline daily for insomnia and bladder issues.
Hydromol to wash with and use on labia after shower daily, plus yes vm every 3 days.
B12 injections every 12 weeks
I've had a ton of blood tests too, thyroid is fine gp thought it was possible causing heart palpitations and fatigue.
Sorry this is so long, thought if I give as much information as possible would be easier for ladies to advise.
I'm frustrated and depressed I just can't face this feeling again I have 3 major events to attend and I feel like I'm not going to be able to enjoy them or even get there, especially as I'm going to LA in a few weeks time, Im shaking terribly just walking my dog, because leaving the house is once again making me feel overly nervous, just don't understand it feel very upset but I physically can't cry although I feel the need to, just to add I'm 49 now, assuming I'm post meno as peri started at 38,and having a hysterectomy even though I retained ovaries it's been almost 5 years and consultant said menopause would come within 5 years but not always the case,.
Thank you in advance for very much needed advice. X

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Return of anxiety
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2022, 11:29:54 AM »

Hi, I left the site because finally I found a very good place regarding menopause (will split so that I can answer )

Menopause is literally, the last period.  Ever.  One is told to count 12-14 months after the last bleed to begin to believe that 1 has reached menopause, however: Nature throws the occasional curved ball as well as if you've had a hysterectomy, you are there.  I don't know what speciality that consultant was in :-\.  or where he got 5 years from ?

Anxiety can be caused by lots of issues.  It lays dormant with me until I try to plan a holiday.  Then WHAM - have to cancel  :'(.  Could your sudden onset be due to a busy schedule?  I try not to plan too far ahead!  Otherwise ........  :-\

My GP gave me Propranolol years ago to ease anxiety surges in the early hours which really worked.  I've used 'valium' in the past with success.   Thyroid function: GPs won't test if results are returned 'within normal limits' even when patients complain of continuing symptoms.  Do U think that thyroid might be one of the issues?

Im shaking terribly just walking my dog, because leaving the house is once again making me feel overly nervous, just don't understand it feel very upset but I physically can't cry although I feel the need to, just to add I'm 49 now,
.  How is your diet overall?  With this heat wave the body may burn up energy quicker than usual, so topping up food intake little and often, even in the night, may well help.  Don't walk the dog in this heat!!!! they don't need it. 

Having felt well then getting anxiety again can be a bummer.  Often worse than the initial onset, there's a feeling of 'OH NO not again and will this every completely go away?'.  Betablockas certainly helped me a lot to gain control.  I also have an emergency anti-anxiety medication for when I am floored by it, though you probably wouldn't be allowed into the US with some of what is prescribed here.

How does your B12 injections fit in with your proposed flights?  Make sure that you are up to date with that.  How long have you been swallowing the BB?  It may take a while to ease anxiety symptoms, i.e. 3-5 days.  Initially, in 2001, I had 80mg 3 times a day  :o for 4 weeks, then cut to 40mg twice a day for several years.  I cut myself to 20mg twice a day then weaned off. 
« Last Edit: July 15, 2022, 11:42:27 AM by CLKD »

CLKD

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2022, 11:42:52 AM »

:foryou:

lillith112

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2022, 11:49:09 AM »

Have you ever had your estrogen levels checked ? Might be worth asking GP, if not do a home test. I know from experience that you can suddenly stop absorbing estrogen. I switched patches recently due to shortage and felt really awful, migraine, neck ache with tension, insomnia, feeling really low. I think I was absorbing too much so that might also be another reason for your symptoms. I tried Estrogel too and didn't absorb that at all 😐
« Last Edit: July 15, 2022, 11:52:54 AM by lillith112 »

Amazing grace

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2022, 11:54:34 AM »

Hi CLKD, thanks for your reply, it could be I'm overthinking the upcoming events that have triggered the anxiety, no I never thought thyroid was an issue just my gp suggested testing to rule it out, regarding fatigue and heart palpitations, my consultant is a gynecologist, at time he wanted remove my ovaries with the uterus but I refused as didn't want to go Into surgical menopause, he then said most women who have there uterus removed go into menopause earlier than those who do not have a hysterectomy usually within 5 years, something to do with blood supply, I've no idea weather that's absolute fact, he did say it was not a definite but highly likely.
I only walk my dog very early am or late pm when it's really hot.
Hoping the propranolol works to calm the anxiety down, reassuring to know it worked well for you, I'm just confused as to how the anxiety has suddenly come back, hoping it's a temporary blip x

Amazing grace

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2022, 11:56:52 AM »

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2022, 11:57:08 AM »

A lack of oestrogen can cause anxiety surges.

My anxiety begins in the gut, a sudden feeling of intense nausea  :'( followed by a total collapse, hence the emergency tablet.  A therapist tried to tell me that I must have thoughts in order to trigger the anxiety.  I walked from that session. HOW DARE SHE!

Hunger can trigger the anxiety  :-\.  So eating little and often helps, mostly.

I think that it's the time away etc. that is making you anxious. 

Amazing grace

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2022, 12:04:23 PM »

Hi CLKD, I think you are right about the time away, it's all I'm thinking about, and I can very much relate to your description of how anxiety begins I also feel it begin in my stomach, like a strange surge feeling, I appreciate your advice thank you so much x

Hi lillith112, thank you for your reply, I have only ever had my estrogen levels checked once which was years ago, I did wonder about levels, think I will get that checked through medi checks, as my gp definitely won't do blood tests for estrogen levels, thanks again for your reply x

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2022, 12:09:17 PM »

hormone blood tests can be reliably unreliable  ::)

I can sympathise and empathise  :-\

Scampidoodle

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2022, 12:12:12 PM »

Hi amazing grace, just wondered if you’d had covid recently or other virus or a booster jab? Just because many women on this site have found this brought back many symptoms (not permanently) x

Amazing grace

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2022, 01:08:09 PM »

Hi scampidoodle, I did have covid which coincidentally the anxiety returned soon after being infected, I asked my gp if it would cause anxiety he said no unless I was anxious about having covid, which I wasn't, I also asked him about interference with hrt he almost laughed at me when I asked that, but I think it could be a possibility seeing as others say they have a return of symptoms, thank you for your reply x

Scampidoodle

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2022, 01:57:10 PM »

Yes if you search ‘covid’ and ‘hormones’ on here there are a few in the same boat xx

Pippa52

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2022, 04:13:38 PM »

Amazing Grace - hi.  Just wanted to say I feel your pain.  Have been experiencing all the symptoms you mention and have been struggling for weeks.  I had to stop my normal HRT as it became unavailable due to the shortages and was swapped onto patches and progressively became worse and worse despite trying 2 different sorts.  Just had a blood test of oestradiol levels and it was very low at 91 which I think explains why I am feeling so awful - just like you dreadful anxiety plus the other symptoms.  Have been changed now back onto my old HRT but need to work up the dose slowly as am uber sensitive to dose increases.  I saw your post and really wanted to reply to just say to you - you truly are not alone.  Its beyond awful but hopefully you will start to improve on the higher dose of oestrogen.  Sending love and empathy xx

Amazing grace

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2022, 04:29:33 PM »

Hi pippa52, thank you so much for your lovely message, it helps so much to know others are experiencing the same, although I wish no one had to suffer these horrible symptoms, I hope you find relief with your symptoms with a hrt that suits, it's very frustrating, I too had trouble with some of the patches and have done better with gel, fingers crossed we both find a happy balance, your message is very much appreciated, very kind of you thank you x

Dandelion

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2022, 05:04:19 PM »

A lack of oestrogen can cause anxiety surges.

My anxiety begins in the gut, a sudden feeling of intense nausea  :'( followed by a total collapse, hence the emergency tablet.  A therapist tried to tell me that I must have thoughts in order to trigger the anxiety.  I walked from that session. HOW DARE SHE!

Hunger can trigger the anxiety  :-\.  So eating little and often helps, mostly.

I think that it's the time away etc. that is making you anxious.
I've started quite recently getting sudden feelings in the gut accompanied by anxiety in the morning.
I have been on the same dose 25mcg for over a year, I am now wondering if the cause can be hormonal?
Pages: [1] 2 3