Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: How long does menopause last  (Read 857 times)

Loopylou1017

How long does menopause last
« on: July 16, 2022, 07:30:54 PM »

I would just like to ask anyone who has had a full hysterectomy how long do I need to be on hrt. I have been on 100evorel patches and testosterone for 15 years and wondered when my menopause should finish.

ATB

Re: How long does menopause last
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2022, 08:15:37 PM »

You are post menopause when you have had no periods for 12 consecutive months. You are not in menopause, you’re post menopause and that’s permanently how you’ll be. Some people can and choose to come off HRT, but you don’t need to. You can be on it for life.

Nas

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2022, 07:08:33 AM »

Too long!!!

ATB is spot on. It’s a permanent state of being, once you are 12 months on from your last natural period.

Perinowpost

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2022, 07:14:47 AM »

Ditto what the others have said. Lack of oestrogen is for life and has serious impact x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2022, 08:09:41 AM »

Morning.  If the regime suits you, stick with it.  What makes you query ? 

Peri-menopause are the years when we notice changes; periods wax and wane, hot flushes may become problematic, aches and pains etc..  Menopause = literally the last period.  But Nature can throw in a curved ball ..........  ::)

HRT protects bones and heart health.  Do beware of vaginal atrophy ;-).  We have threads on that too. 

sheila99

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2022, 09:43:51 AM »

How old are you? It's recommended you take it at least until 'normal' menopause age in your early 50s to protect your heart and bones. You might choose to stay on it after that for the health benefits. You might find when you come off it (at any age) you get meno symptoms or you might find you're symptom free.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2022, 11:36:01 AM »

Also if you stop, GPs may be reluctant to restart treatment.  If it ain't broke?