Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Can someone interpret this please? Don't trust GP I spoke to.  (Read 1163 times)

violetbat

She said she couldn't understand why I had had a hormone level test done in the first place. I told her after months on lenzetto, 6 sprays a day with absolutely no relief from symptoms that had been mostly controlled by the gel, I wanted to know what was going on. I also asked for testosterone and she said it was pointless . I asked for it anyway and am trying 2 pumps a week of the stuff you use every other day.
When this test was taken I had been on Everol 100 for 2 weeks and was already feeling much better. Now am am feeling even better than I was on the gel.

serum albumin 42g/l [35-52]
serum testosterone 0.5 nmol [0.101-1.42]
serum sex binding globulin 92 nmol [ 17.3-125]
serum free testosterone 4pmol [1.0-20.0]

many thanks  :)

Serum oestradiol 419pmol/L [114-332.0] NOTE above high reference .

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Can someone interpret this please? Don't trust GP I spoke to.
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2022, 03:25:55 PM »

Get a referral to a dedicated menopause clinic.  If your GP isn't clued up, she should have suggested it.

violetbat

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2022, 03:27:55 PM »

she sort of admitted that she wasn't and would have to read up on how to interpret the results! Why are gps allowed to know so little about all of this? I know there are ladies on here who are really knowledgeable though.

joziel

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2022, 04:32:51 PM »

Is your estradiol really in pmol and not in nmol?

Just because I only know about it/have seen it in nmol and not sure how to convert that...

violetbat

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2022, 04:47:31 PM »

Is your estradiol really in pmol and not in nmol?

Just because I only know about it/have seen it in nmol and not sure how to convert that...
apparently you just divide it by 1000! so it would be 0.419

I still don't know what that means regarding 'normal/ acceptable levels as I have read on here that higher than that is considered acceptable so was surprised when she said it was high but not dangerously high.

violetbat

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2022, 08:59:35 PM »

Anyone have any ideas?🙂

laszla

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2022, 10:11:31 PM »

Your Free Androgen Index (the most important testosterone related number) is very low - calculator here https://www.mdapp.co/free-androgen-index-fai-calculator-370/
To deem knowing your levels of testosterone 'pointless' is ludicrous - it's one of the three sex hormones so of course it's useful to know your plasma levels, in addition to working with symptoms.
As for 'acceptable' estradiol levels, there is no fixed number but if you are getting your hormones pretty much solely from HRT then at least 300pmol is needed for sufficient bone density to stave off osteopenia/osteoporosis.

Beyond the matter of bone density, it's quite individual: some women may need much more depending on their particular symptoms, eg for hormonal depression up to as much as 800pmol (John Studd/Nick Panay school).

violetbat

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2022, 06:06:22 AM »

Your Free Androgen Index (the most important testosterone related number) is very low - calculator here https://www.mdapp.co/free-androgen-index-fai-calculator-370/
To deem knowing your levels of testosterone 'pointless' is ludicrous - it's one of the three sex hormones so of course it's useful to know your plasma levels, in addition to working with symptoms.
As for 'acceptable' estradiol levels, there is no fixed number but if you are getting your hormones pretty much solely from HRT then at least 300pmol is needed for sufficient bone density to stave off osteopenia/osteoporosis.

Beyond the matter of bone density, it's quite individual: some women may need much more depending on their particular symptoms, eg for hormonal depression up to as much as 800pmol (John Studd/Nick Panay school).
Thank you so much that is very helpful.
I shall continue with the testosterone gel.
I am feeling much better on the patches.

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2022, 08:28:57 AM »

MayB work together with your GP - they can't know everything about everything .......... which is where the Forum is helpful as you can feed back info at your next visit.  "I have read this on MM ....... " which may encourage her to have a lookC;-)

Do U keep a mood/food/symptom diary to chart progress? 

violetbat

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2022, 11:54:36 AM »

MayB work together with your GP - they can't know everything about everything .......... which is where the Forum is helpful as you can feed back info at your next visit.  "I have read this on MM ....... " which may encourage her to have a lookC;-)

Do U keep a mood/food/symptom diary to chart progress?
Thank you- I will try. it is nigh on impossible to actually speak with a gp in my parts- everything is e consult. It's a nightmare.

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2022, 12:54:21 PM »

It's a bit like that across England apparently.  1 speaks to a receptionist at the desk or on the 'phone ; who wants to know all the ins and outs  >:(, then they ring back with an time for the GP to contact me - which means staying in although to be fair, they have been between the hours suggested.  Then it's a face2face or necessary, a prescription or suggestions  ::).  I won't do e-mail!

No wonder A&E is full!

violetbat

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2022, 05:19:37 PM »

It's a bit like that across England apparently.  1 speaks to a receptionist at the desk or on the 'phone ; who wants to know all the ins and outs  >:(, then they ring back with an time for the GP to contact me - which means staying in although to be fair, they have been between the hours suggested.  Then it's a face2face or necessary, a prescription or suggestions  ::).  I won't do e-mail!

No wonder A&E is full!
I count myself lucky if I get through to a receptionist within 20 mins wait . It puts me off totally. If it’s not considered important then the wait to speak to a gp on the phone is about three weeks! Of course women suffering  horribly with menopausal woes doesn’t count .
E consult gets me faster results. It’s so rubbish. And then you don’t even know whether your repeat meds will actually be available. Just adds to the whole stress.😡

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2022, 08:38:20 PM »

Have U contacted the Practice Manager, is there a patient forum at your Surgery?

It is so un-necessary.