Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Vitamins  (Read 1000 times)

lisa06031510

Vitamins
« on: July 10, 2022, 10:36:57 AM »

Hi us,

Can anyone suggest any good vitamins I could take .. I am on HRT but feel I need something more x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Vitamins
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2022, 11:41:01 AM »

A dietician wrote in a recent Sat paper that we need VitD and VitA - everything else should be gained from a good diet.

MayB review your overall food and liquid intake to see if you can make any changes.  I began VitD recently but it's such a small amount that I am taking a tablet at breakfast and another in the evening - I am very tired at times.

lisa06031510

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2022, 02:35:20 PM »

All the menopause ones are food supplements and I'm scared that will make me gain weight....I've worked hard to try lose the initial weight I put on... I'm never going to have my pre menopause body back I've accepted that but I don't want any thing to make me gain again

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2022, 03:42:38 PM »

What makes you think that you require supplements? 

Apart from VitD - now that I know the symptoms - I wouldn't think of supplements  ::) but would review my diet. 

Let us know how you get on?

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2022, 03:44:13 PM »

Beware also of those Companies jumping on the 'menopause bandwagon'  >:( ..... vitamins, supplements ........ read the small print first?

Flossieteacake

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2022, 05:36:46 PM »

Hello Lisa. Food supplement means the pill is food grade. You should not put weight on from a supplement. If you have a blood test then it would show if you are lacking in any vitamins and you could then choose which ones to take. I can understand what you mean as I often feel tired despite being on HRT.

VanillaLover

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2022, 05:38:41 PM »

Hello,

I take magnesium which is supposed to help migraines (ha) and vitamin D. I also take floradix liquid as I am still having periods and they are heavy and can be close together. I don’t want to get anaemic and I can’t tolerate “normal” iron tablets, even the kind you get in supermarket multi vitamin type stuff. I also eat meat regularly. The floradix also has several b vitamins in, which is a bonus I guess. But I mainly take it for the iron.

They are all pretty cheap (apart from the floradix stuff)

lisa06031510

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2022, 05:58:32 PM »

I just feel at my age I prob should be on some kind of vitamins and of course with all the changes... I did buy some menopause support ones from Morrisons today but I may just buy some Vitamin D Ines tomorrow... I have blood tests on the 18th to check my body is taking the HRT in, so I may wait and see what comes back... I actually just googled and apparently can buy vitamins that are used for moods....

Flossieteacake

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2022, 06:47:30 PM »

I just feel at my age I prob should be on some kind of vitamins and of course with all the changes... I did buy some menopause support ones from Morrisons today but I may just buy some Vitamin D Ines tomorrow... I have blood tests on the 18th to check my body is taking the HRT in, so I may wait and see what comes back... I actually just googled and apparently can buy vitamins that are used for moods....

There are so many different vitamins and supplements and they will all do different things. It is good you are going to have a blood test soon as that will flag up if you are lacking in anything in particular.

I think for me, I would look at the symptom I want to treat and then see if anything is meant to help with that.

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2022, 08:00:58 PM »

Nope.  Age has nowt to do with whether we require vitamins/not.  A blood test will check for lack of VitD, also get a thyroid function test which can cause people to be very tired.

With a good diet, regular meals, enough hydration, the body should not require much extra.  It's commercial hype in many cases.

ATB

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2022, 08:06:48 PM »

Most people unless exposed to regular decent amounts of sun, will need a Vit D supplement, a simple test can check. You need to be careful of taking fat soluble vitamins when you don’t need to as you can’t excrete excess, and iron shouldn’t be taken without a blood test as of you don’t need it, it can cause toxicity. Same with selenium, deficiency in either can cause tiredness but test before supplementing.
Multi vitamins aren’t the best in my opinion, you can search studies on their effectiveness.

lisa06031510

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2022, 08:35:57 AM »

I will go get some Vitamin D... It's just taken me 4 days to find a pharmacy that have some HRT patches... I could of kissed the last when she said she had them... Only 2 months worth though and said can't order anymore

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2022, 08:39:28 AM »

So keep searching as well as telling your Surgery that what you have been prescribed is as rare as hens' teeth.