Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Help please - Just started HRT  (Read 3373 times)

sheila99

Re: Help please - Just started HRT
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2022, 07:46:37 AM »

Did your anxiety arrive with peri or is it a long standing issue? Mine came with peri and has gone completely with hrt so mine was caused by oestrogen deficiency. If yours is caused by oestrogen deficiency you should be on hrt not ADs, if it has another cause you may need the ads.

joziel

« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2022, 07:09:18 PM »

And to add to what sheila says, if it has started since being on HRT, it may be caused by the estrogen - and that may need to be adjusted somehow. (Not always easy.)

Dee

« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2022, 12:02:30 PM »

Hi ladies anxiety started with other symptoms post meno not had hrt prescribed yet as dr waiting advice from gynae/meno clinic as mum had breast cancer so not happy to prescribe hence need for ads the anxiety awful with morbid thoughts just upped ads this week hope they stop the thoughts as cant function taking magnesium as well seeing dr again friday will keep updated love Dee xx

sheila99

« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2022, 12:11:43 PM »

Others will know more about BC than I do but you should find out what type your mum had. Some are fed by oestrogen but others aren't.

joziel

« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2022, 12:43:09 PM »

Your mum having breast cancer has about zero bearing on whether you can have HRT. My mum had it too. I’m on HRT. Not even questioned.

sheila99

« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2022, 12:56:51 PM »

I suggest you do your own research, both the nhs and Cancer research UK think it can but it depends on the type of cancer. Even if the family history is the 'wrong' sort you can still choose to accept the risk and take hrt. If you use transdermal hrt the risk of cancer is less than if you smoke, drink or are overweight though I believe that's for the general population rather than those already at higher risk. Better to informed though imo.

joziel

« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2022, 02:12:36 PM »

My mum's was estrogen-positive and I still have zero issues being on HRT. Because most breast cancer (99%) is caused by other factors besides HRT. My mum is obese and an alcoholic, for eg.

She was also not on HRT when she got breast cancer.

Dee

« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2022, 03:38:15 PM »

Thanks ladies will relay your answers to gp on friday need to do something as l cant even think of future feeling like this you are all a godsend thanks for your support will post back friday Dee xx

joziel

« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2022, 04:50:10 PM »

Dee, even if you yourself had had estrogen positive breast cancer, the current direction that research is headed, you would be not an outlier to request to go on HRT - many women who have had BC do go on HRT for quality of life. Considering it's not even you who's had the BC this time, it seems a bit crazy if HRT is being withheld with this as the reason and you should go see another GP if that's the case.

sheila99

« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2022, 11:18:08 AM »

My mum's was estrogen-positive and I still have zero issues being on HRT. Because most breast cancer (99%) is caused by other factors besides HRT. My mum is obese and an alcoholic, for eg.

She was also not on HRT when she got breast cancer.
I'm not trying to say transdermal hrt is a risk factor for the general population but I don't think there are any sufficiently robust studies to indicate whether it is or it isn't for those who already have a genetic risk factor. There are so many other possible factors and transdermal hrt has been around for a relatively short time period.
I agree quality of life is important and imo that's a decision only the individual can make but they do need to be aware of any additional risk before making the decision (same with obesity etc).

joziel

« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2022, 11:26:47 AM »

The research currently indicates there are not any additional risk factors with body identical hormones. And if there are, they are tiny. That risk doesn't change just because your mother had breast cancer - the OP is at no further increased risk than any of us.

This is covered in several of the most recent Louise Newson podcasts and has been all over social media recently.

Dee

« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2022, 05:58:11 PM »

Hi just to update saw gp friday had reply from gynae / meno clinic advised referral to genetics clinic if they ok hrt to try mirena coil n patches so fingers crossed will keep updated surprise at quick reply to be honest only 2 weeks .Hope genetics as quick but morbid thoughts easing with ads so feeling little better  thanks Dee x
Pages: 1 [2]