Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Hello - advice needed/ early menopause  (Read 1086 times)

Starfish

Hello - advice needed/ early menopause
« on: July 09, 2022, 05:47:21 PM »

Hi there,

Sorry for the long post. I need advice in regard to accessing the right hrt. I would also like to figure what state of peri I’m in. At the age of 34  I was told  I would go into an early menopause due to low ovarian reserve by a fertility clinic. After giving up hope, I was blessed with twins at age 39.

I’ve just turned 44 and since the age of 40 I’ve struggled with mood fluctuations, trouble sleeping, night sweats and low libido. My gp put it down to pnd. At the back of my mind I always thought it was peri-menopause. My mums went into full menopause at 40, in a short period of time. My sister too. After suggesting this to my gp she said my hormones were ok. Then for the last two years my periods started to space out, first every two months, then every 4-6 months. With this I had terrible mood swings, palpitations, hot flushes. My skin sags, my hair is getting very grey and my self esteem is at an all time low.

Finally back in September a new gp put me on evorel sequil after my fsh was 104. After the first two months I felt a bit more like myself. Then it stopped working. I couldn’t get the same dr again, this time I was told I may need to go on anti depression medication. I said no, and they put me on elliste duet 1mg. I found this worse than the patch. Mood swings are horrific. I am just thinking about stopping them but I’m afraid to since I would need something due to the risk of osteoporosis.

Any advice would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2022, 06:13:09 PM by Starfish »

Flossieteacake

Re: Hello - advice needed/ early menopause
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2022, 06:26:38 PM »

Hello Starfish. Welcome to the forum. Congratulations on your twins. What a wonderful blessing.  :)

I started premature ovarian failure at 38 and was constantly dismissed by GPs and one even laughed at me and said I am too young. I found it was much better to ask for a referral to a menopause clinic and I think it would be more helpful for you too.

HRT often needs tweaking and it could be yours does too. A menopause Dr could make a suggestion of something more suitable for you. I really am sorry you have not been given any support by your DRs and you are going through all this.

You will find lots of support on here.  :)

Starfish

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2022, 06:37:30 PM »

Hi Flossieteacake,

Thank you so much for your response and good advice. I really appreciate your kind words. How did you find the menopause clinic, did you just ask for a referral?

I had a similar experience in my early 30s. I expressed a concern around infertility after miscarriage and lack of pregnancy after years of trying. A gp jokingly said while laughing, are you worried about going into menopause already, you are too young.

Flossieteacake

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2022, 06:44:08 PM »

Hi Flossieteacake,

Thank you so much for your response and good advice. I really appreciate your kind words. How did you find the menopause clinic, did you just ask for a referral?

I had a similar experience in my early 30s. I expressed a concern around infertility after miscarriage and lack of pregnancy after years of trying. A gp jokingly said while laughing, are you worried about going into menopause already, you are too young.

You are most welcome. Yes, just ask your GP to refer you. I find the GPs I have dealt with do not have any knowledge of HRT at all.

That GP sounds really ignorant and I am sorry they treated you that way.

Just to let you know, along with menopause the lack of oestrogen can cause vaginal atrophy. You may want to read the threads on it here just so you are aware. It is were the skin is sore and dry and can mimic UTI symptoms and needs treating with an oestrogen cream or pessary. I would have loved to have known what it was when I was experiencing that.

Starfish

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2022, 07:51:00 PM »

Thanks so much Flossieteacake,

Yes, I’ve had a few problems in regard to pain and dryness. Good to know I can get a cream for that.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2022, 07:53:04 PM by Starfish »

Flossieteacake

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2022, 07:52:36 PM »

You are most welcome. Yes, just ask your GP to refer you. I find the GPs I have dealt with do not have any knowledge of HRT at all.

That GP sounds really ignorant and I am sorry they treated you that way.

Just to let you know, along with menopause the lack of oestrogen can cause vaginal atrophy. You may want to read the threads on it here just so you are aware. It is were the skin is sore and dry and can mimic UTI symptoms and needs treating with an oestrogen cream or pessary. I would have loved to have known what it was when I was experiencing that.

Thanks so much. Yes, I’ve had a few problems in regard to pain and dryness. Good to know I can get a cream for that.

Ovestin is a gentle cream and can be applied to the inner and outer area. I have found Yes moisturising cream helpful too.