Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Mirena replacement side effects  (Read 1389 times)

CrispyChick

Re: Mirena replacement side effects
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2022, 10:09:42 AM »

Oh. Scampi. Just replied in gillas thread to you.

So, really you're trying the same as me - prog only. But I'm using bio prog rather than progestins to try and dampen down my estrogen.

No help on the mirena I'm afraid. Such a shame u had to have it replaced. I have certainly heard they are stronger at the beginning. Fingers crossed it settles for you or you become more tolerant of it. X

Scampidoodle

« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2022, 11:57:11 AM »

Yes saw your other reply. Thanks Crispy. Yes we are on similar roads aren’t we. The thing with the Mirena is I didn’t need it replacing, it had only been in a year! But as I was having another mast cell/histamine flare, we thought a new one would boost my P levels again and calm the flare. Instead, I’m reacting to it so my mast cells are even more triggered! You’re right I need to adjust and calm and I’m hoping, if the consultant is right, when the levels decrease, I’ll feel more balanced.

I thought I’d be off work today after crying and vomiting all weekend but somehow managing to work from home and no vomit which is a plus x

Scampidoodle

« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2022, 12:23:17 PM »

Crispy, can you tell me more re using Progesterone activates the estrogen receptors initially? X

CrispyChick

« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2022, 04:07:37 PM »

OK. I've read it a lot. Basucly the concept seems to be that when your estrogen is higher relative to your prog, your body protects itself by shutting duwn or down regulating estrogen receptors - basically making them work less efficiently.

So when you start progesterone (some say high doses avoid this - I don't know) your body acknowledges more prog so allows your estrogen receptors to fully optimise which is why low levels of prog (or dose changes) seem to increase your estrogenic symptoms to begin with. I'm 95% sure that's what I experience.

I believe consistency of dose and time is needed to settle. And maybe higher dose - but I can't make that conclusion yet.

It's also why they say some people cannot tolerate prog and give up. It's not actually the prog, it's their estrogen working overtime to begin with.

There is a lot about this from the US.

CrispyChick

« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2022, 04:08:27 PM »

I think this is specific to natural prog avd progestins do not act in this way.

Scampidoodle

« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2022, 05:34:48 PM »

That’s interesting crispy. I thought that is totally happening to me! Until I read about progestins!! ::)

CrispyChick

« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2022, 07:15:56 PM »

Hmmm interesting. Pretty sure I've read progestins do not act in this way.

Scampidoodle

« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2022, 02:45:15 PM »

Hi this is just an update so if anyone came across my post on the future they’d know how I went.
I had the Mirena for exactly 2 weeks and one day and then, it was all ok! I’m tentatively hopeful but I feel like me again. After some research it looks like the Mirena levels reach a steady state in two weeks. So my body clearly didn’t like the fluctuations or shifts prior to that. I didn’t have this with either of my previous ones but just to reassure if anyone has similar it did end for me. I don’t ‘think’ I’m progesterone intolerant so clearly this would be different if you are x
Pages: 1 [2]