Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: progesterone/progestogens  (Read 1267 times)

JulieJ

progesterone/progestogens
« on: July 07, 2022, 11:36:58 AM »

Hi There,

Anyone ran into problems with progesterone/progestogens?
Specifically exacerbating a pre existing anxiety condition?
I've been told it could be due to the Evorel Conti patch I've been on for about 4 months.  I have a (sadly) telephone app with my Dr tomorrow and would like to be forearmed so to speak.  Tyvm 🙏

QueenofReds3

Re: progesterone/progestogens
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2022, 11:56:43 AM »

Hi JulieJ
Sorry to hear you are suffering.  I have stopped the Evorel Conti due to having awful anxiety amongst other symptoms. I have tried Femosten Conti, was okay but had a bleed then the patches, they stopped working so put on Oestrogel and Utrogestan which made me Suicidal and had a bleed. so put back on the patches, still anxiety worse in morning so now on provera for progesterone and gel again. I have been only on them for a few days and the anxiety has lifted but I feel like a zombie. I have posted for help as I feel I am progesterone intolerant. Going to give it a while longer though, the only option left if this is no good is the Mirena Coil. Hope you get some help from your GP, many ladies do find they cannot tolerate the progesterone but I have to take it as have a womb and had thickened lining discovered last month. Good luck. X

JulieJ

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2022, 12:01:32 PM »

Hi QueenofReds

Omg.  That's sounds awful! I have a womb too.  I went on to hrt because of pains in hands and feet, hot flashes (no sweats) and brain fog.  I hadn't had a period for 4 years. I'm beginning to wish I hadn't bothered tbh.
It just seems like my anxiety was triggered so much easier this time.  I hope you get sorted soon 🙏

QueenofReds3

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2022, 01:53:57 PM »

Thank You JulieJ. I know sometimes I think why bother but my last period was in 2017 I think? Meno brain :) I initially felt good on HRT but for the last year it has not helped much. I went on it as I had night sweats, brain fog, aches and pains, bladder weakness and bad moods. Now I still have night sweats, anxiety, tiredness, lack of motivation for anything, I just want to sleep and go to bed to shut everything away, I worry about nothing really but cannot help it. In the couple of weeks between the GP saying to stop the patches and starting the gel and provera, I felt not too bad but the bladder issues started really bad, and I could feel the aches coming back but maybe if HRT is not for me I could try the local oestrogen to help with the bladder issues.
Anxiety is horrible and I am lucky in that my O/H is understanding but some days I don’t want to get in the car, or I think something awful is going to happen. It’s not good. Never used to be like this. But in some ways good or not my colleagues think I am a happy laid back person, they come to me with their worries, I must put on a good act ::) You look after yourself. X

sheila99

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2022, 03:46:37 PM »

Anxiety can be due to too low oestrogen (mine was), too high oestrogen or the progestin if you react badly to that particular sort. And many other causes too. It can take some time to work out which. If you can have some time on oestrogen only that would tell if the prog you're on is the cause.

JulieJ

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2022, 07:48:28 PM »

Thank you.  Can you do that when you still have you uterus?

joziel

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2022, 07:51:59 PM »

QueenofReds are you sure your anxiety is due to the progesterone in HRTs and not the estrogen....?

For me, anxiety is very much an estrogen thing. Which might explain why you experience it even on so many different progesterone options...?

JulieJ

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2022, 07:53:20 PM »

Anxiety can be due to too low oestrogen (mine was), too high oestrogen or the progestin if you react badly to that particular sort. And many other causes too. It can take some time to work out which. If you can have some time on oestrogen only that would tell if the prog you're on is the cause.

Also, would it take a month for the symptoms to show?  Or would it be quicker?  Thanks for any help 🙏

Moody71

• First Flush
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2022, 07:54:07 PM »

Blimey, reading all your comments is making me question whether to start the Evorel Conti...

JulieJ

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2022, 08:21:34 PM »

It's different for everyone and everyone is different lol

sheila99

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2022, 09:20:57 AM »

Not long term but you can for a trial period. You can use a sequi regime even if you're meno though you'll have a bleed.

JulieJ

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2022, 09:38:21 AM »

Not long term but you can for a trial period. You can use a sequi regime even if you're meno though you'll have a bleed.

Thank you @Shieila99
Is it possible I might be better suited to the estrogen patch and progesterone tablet?  I have a phonecall with my Dr which I'm really worried about as I don't know what to do next 😬

QueenofReds3

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2022, 04:28:17 PM »

JulieJ. You are so right when you say it’s different for everyone etc. Good luck with GP, Keep us posted.

Moody71. I was absolutely fine on the Evorel patches for 18 months, everything changed after I had my 3rd vaccine, as if they stopped working altogether, anxiety set in and night sweats returned. I had no side effects on starting them so hopefully you will be okay.

Joziel.    I have on a couple of occasions tried the gel without the prog in between the changes of progesterone. The gel does not seem to cause any issues but because I have had bleeds, and thickened lining I have to have the progesterone. I have tried the split dose and touch wood not too sleepy today so maybe my body will adjust to the combination. Although it has given me terrible wind ::).
I am really hoping this works. My bladder issues have calmed down too which is great. X

joziel

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2022, 07:20:58 PM »

That's interesting. I also got really bad wind for actually the first many months on utrogestan. It seems to have settled now, so I think it is something that will go...

sheila99

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2022, 09:01:47 AM »

Thank you @Shieila99
Is it possible I might be better suited to the estrogen patch and progesterone tablet?  I have a phonecall with my Dr which I'm really worried about as I don't know what to do next 😬
If they're separate it does give you the option to experiment and find your sweet spot. I've found gel and utro to be the most flexible as it's easy to to increase/decrease the oestrogen dose as well as trying without progesterone. For me a very small difference in gel (about 1/4 pump) is the difference between having anxiety and not having it.