Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Please help. Feel dreadful  (Read 1031 times)

Sherbet4

Please help. Feel dreadful
« on: July 12, 2022, 10:21:23 AM »

Hello,

I’m hoping someone can help as I don’t know what to do and feel horrible.

I was initially put on cyclical hrt (estrogen  gel and  utrogestan 200) which took away my night sweats and I did feel was starting to help. The only issue I did have was nasty pmt symptoms in the break from the progesterone and they made me feel a bit groggy but I was sleeping better and didn’t want to cry or murder people every day.

Then suddenly I started getting anxiety around taking the tablets. I’d choke and get extremely nervous to the point that I couldn’t carry on so went back to the dr.
She told me that I needed to learn how to take tablets and wouldn’t really listen when I tried to explain it wasn’t that Simple. I know how to take tablets but for some reason (maybe the shape and texture) or just pure anxiety were stopping me and it was getting worse. She finally gave in and gave me patches (evorel sequi one twice weekly) but they didn’t stay on and a lot of my symptoms like the night sweats returned. A few weeks of perseverance with these didn’t work so I went back to the drs 3 weeks ago asking if I could have a higher dose and advice on how to keep the patches on (she didn’t know re keeping them on and wanted me to take the tablets again which I can’t) and so now she’s put me on Femseven conti (as I mentioned that I hadn’t had a period since November) and upped it to one and a half patches weekly.

I still can’t get the patches to stay on properly and now I feel worse and more anxious than ever. I’m having panic attacks and keep crying, all my joints are hurting again and I don’t want to leave the house. The only thing that hasn’t returned fully are the night sweats but I feel really hot and panicky generally…  obviously it’s hot weather wise though!

I gave in and called the drs again yesterday and am expecting a call today. I’m in such a muddle though and can’t think straight so could do with some advice on what to ask or what to do. There’s only one menopause trained dr in my practice and although I’ve spoken to her several times I get the impression that she’s running out of patience and doesn’t understand why I can’t take the tablets. It’s a different dr calling me though as far as I know.

Please help as I can’t go on feeling like this and don’t know what to do any more. This could all be because I’m not getting the benefit as the patches aren’t staying on or I could have anxiety running alongside this too. All I know is that I don’t even feel like a can go to work and just want to hide away as I feel so awful.

mandss

Re: Please help. Feel dreadful
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2022, 10:28:49 AM »

So sad to hear that you are suffering this way...its a horrid time, made worse when symptoms are hightened by the treatments that we are given. Trying to find a GP that will actually listen is a battle these days. I keep getting passed from one to another and they all have their own opinions.
I am on patches but do sometimes use a sticky film over it to keep it in place. (cannot remember what they are called) I also keep a diary of all symptoms, and then when you are talking to the GP you can see if there is any pattern to your symptoms. Please keep talking to us, it helps to share xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2022, 11:34:07 AM »

Make sure that the whole area is completely dry.  Place the patch where you can hold your hand over it, to ensure that all the areas stick.  Some find that micro-pore over the top of the patch keeps it in place as well as ensuring that the HRT is absorbed.

Swallowing tablets can become problematic: I remember holding The Pill for hours ........ so long that the evening cocoa went cold  :-X

If you can swallow food there isn't a real problem, other than worrying about a pill going down.  Bending the head forwards with a sip of water opens the throat which may help. 

violetbat

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2022, 11:58:28 AM »

I use the utrogestan vaginally as it helps with the symptoms I get when taking progesterone. Could be worth a try?
To get my patches to stick I apply rubbing alcohol over the clean bit of skin, let that evaporate then hold something warm over the patch for about 30 secs. For example the side of my tea cup- obvs not boiling hot tea but when it is warm. If I haven't got that then I hold my palm over it. The patches stay on when I do that, even in this heat.

Sherbet4

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2022, 03:15:15 PM »

Thank you. I have thought about trying the tablets vaginally but I know the gp isn’t keen. Can I ask, do you know how long the tablets take to dissolve? My only worry is that I do wee quite a bit in the night 😬 so not sure it would really work .

joziel

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2022, 03:59:56 PM »

sherbet if you are needing to wee often in the night, you probably also need some local estrogen up there. Ask for some Vagifem pessaries. That's a little tablet you pop up there before you go to bed. It's local estrogen, very safe, and it will keep your urinary bits and bladder working as you age - and also stop any dryness or vaginal atrophy. You can take that as well as HRT.

The utrogestan tablets are pretty big balls, so I do get you not wanting to swallow them. I'm wondering if the contents can be emptied into a glass of water or something. Anyone know??

You can use them vaginally but the progesterone does tend to relax things up there, so if you're already having those issues that might not be a good idea for you.

You could get a Mirena coil fitted, which would provide the progesterone and you could just forget about it for 5 years then. It also tends to stop all bleeding totally after the first 6 months. Then you would just need estrogen and you could get that from the gel again.

With the other patches, you really need to get them to stick. If they come off, you're of course not getting the hormones and won't benefit and will just continue to get your peri symptoms. Are you putting them on clean dry skin which doesn't have lotion or anything else applied to it any time recently? Then pressing firmly on it for 10 seconds?

Kathleen

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2022, 05:11:20 PM »

Hello Sherbet4

I was fortunate that when I used the patches they stuck very well however lots of ladies had the difficulties that you are having. I know that some used a type of surgical tape over the patch and this solved the problem for them. You have had some good advice so far and hopefully someone who has used the tape method will be along to give you more details.

I am sorry that you are having trouble swallowing tablets, the son of a friend  of mine developed this problem  after an illness. He was advised to try taking them with a mouthful of fizzy drink so you might want to give that a try. Many ladies here use Utrogestan vaginally which is often suggested by doctors at meno clinics.

Take care and I hope you feel better soon.

K.

Sherbet4

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2022, 06:35:15 PM »

Thank you everyone.

I’ve been offered a coil but don’t have a cervix and have a lot of scarring due to cancer treatment plus I’d really rather not have one tbh.

I have wondered about emptying the pill in a drink, Is that a thing?

Yes, my skin is clean and dry with no lotions. I tried micropore tape when I put my patch in on Sunday night but this morning the patch and the tape both fell off together. Last week I managed to keep it hanging on with the tape but it really only was the centre of the patch that was in contact with skin and it looked a right tatty mess.

Dandelion

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2022, 09:26:18 PM »

Hello,

I’m hoping someone can help as I don’t know what to do and feel horrible.

I was initially put on cyclical hrt (estrogen  gel and  utrogestan 200) which took away my night sweats and I did feel was starting to help. The only issue I did have was nasty pmt symptoms in the break from the progesterone and they made me feel a bit groggy but I was sleeping better and didn’t want to cry or murder people every day.

Then suddenly I started getting anxiety around taking the tablets. I’d choke and get extremely nervous to the point that I couldn’t carry on so went back to the dr.
She told me that I needed to learn how to take tablets and wouldn’t really listen when I tried to explain it wasn’t that Simple. I know how to take tablets but for some reason (maybe the shape and texture) or just pure anxiety were stopping me and it was getting worse. She finally gave in and gave me patches (evorel sequi one twice weekly) but they didn’t stay on and a lot of my symptoms like the night sweats returned. A few weeks of perseverance with these didn’t work so I went back to the drs 3 weeks ago asking if I could have a higher dose and advice on how to keep the patches on (she didn’t know re keeping them on and wanted me to take the tablets again which I can’t) and so now she’s put me on Femseven conti (as I mentioned that I hadn’t had a period since November) and upped it to one and a half patches weekly.

I still can’t get the patches to stay on properly and now I feel worse and more anxious than ever. I’m having panic attacks and keep crying, all my joints are hurting again and I don’t want to leave the house. The only thing that hasn’t returned fully are the night sweats but I feel really hot and panicky generally…  obviously it’s hot weather wise though!

I gave in and called the drs again yesterday and am expecting a call today. I’m in such a muddle though and can’t think straight so could do with some advice on what to ask or what to do. There’s only one menopause trained dr in my practice and although I’ve spoken to her several times I get the impression that she’s running out of patience and doesn’t understand why I can’t take the tablets. It’s a different dr calling me though as far as I know.

Please help as I can’t go on feeling like this and don’t know what to do any more. This could all be because I’m not getting the benefit as the patches aren’t staying on or I could have anxiety running alongside this too. All I know is that I don’t even feel like a can go to work and just want to hide away as I feel so awful.
I don't know why some doctors seem to give us extra hassle instead of just giving us what we need.
I used to have hassle trying to get extra oestrogen - I flushed and sweated so badly, I had to go right upto 100mcg, which did take away the problems, thank God it's calmed down now, it does, even though I never thought it would at the time.

I use evorel and they never give me sticking problems.

Another thing to possibly discuss with your doctor is a photo-estrogen.
I know many say HRT is the only answer, and, indeed, natural remedies like menopause didn't work for me, however, I came across this photo oestrogen that is supposed to be really powerful, I would have tried it if evorel didn't work on me.
It's supposed to act on oestrogen receptors.
https://www.verywellhealth.com/the-benefits-of-pueraria-mirifica-88654
I am tired so I have not read up on google about it, but I might as I fancy coming off HRT, sick of relying on pharmacies, I would need a "plant progestin" if there is such a thing as I still have a womb.
https://www.verywellhealth.com/the-benefits-of-pueraria-mirifica-88654