Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Post menopausal and vertigo/dizziness  (Read 1911 times)

Trickybottom

• First Flush
Post menopausal and vertigo/dizziness
« on: June 14, 2022, 04:09:46 PM »

Hi all, It’s been over 10 years since my last period im now 57.  I went through the menopause very easily. But the last 12 months I’ve have been suffering from vertigo/dizziness/lightheaded etc.  I’ve tried everything had mri, cts etc all clear.

So, last year I went to the doctors re head sweats in the summer, he suggested hrt??? So I had some Femseven Conti Patches.  As soon as I used the patches my dizziness lessened and for the first time in ages I was back to normal.  But I hated the side effects of the patches too, tender breasts, bleeding, weight gain and feeling like an hormonal teenager! And did nothing for the head sweats!

As soon as I took the oatches off my dizziness returned, I’ve since tried a different patch but they have not helped with my dizziness at all. 

Is it just coincidental? I don’t know what to do be dizzy or suffer the side effects.  What I don’t understand is, if it is related, why after 10 years of being post menopausal. Is there a link between post menopausae and dizziness?

Marchlove

Re: Post menopausal and vertigo/dizziness
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2022, 05:38:28 PM »

Hi Trickybottom

I believe it’s estrogen deficiency that can cause vertigo.

However, vitamin D deficiency can also cause it. Have you had your vitamin D tested and do you supplement? X

jaypo

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2022, 07:13:33 PM »

Hi there and welcome to the forum.
Yes, I agree with Marchlove,oestrogen can be the problem,it keeps decreasing over the years,so it's not like you hit meno and boof,it's gone,it gets less and less as time goes on.
Has the Dr not prescribed anything for it? Has she said if it's meniers or another inner ear problem? My Dr gave me  stugeron for my dizziness  and it worked in a day,maybe worth asking?

Marchlove

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2022, 07:58:22 PM »

Oh yes stugeron jaypo, good thinking! X

Bindi

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2022, 12:29:15 PM »

Hi trickybottom
Hope you are feeling better what you have described landed me in hospital last month mine felt like vertigo but with a massive headache and big drop in bp upon standing ..ct done bloods done,iv drip fpr dehydration and released 4hrs later with headache tabs..the lightheadedness  had happen before but nothing like this so i was scared.i let my family down that day even tho they understood and said my health is more important it made me mad ..why is this happening i sort of new it was meno related but my dr wernt listening..so i come home got on my laptop and after hour searching found this forum ..reading posts a light bulb moment happened..out of the 34 meno symptoms i had 21 tick tick tick lol..so when my gp appt come the wk later she told me the hospital wanted me to have a mri wjhich would have been a 5hr round trip and i was over scans ..i said no she was shocked and i said i want to try some estrogen first give me 3mths if that dont work ok ..if wat ever is going on aint killed me in 4yrs 3mths aint going to make much difference..so far its the best thing ive done she put me on ovestin joint pains better,headaches better,tummy better neckpain better va better sinuses earpains better but most of all i feel perky and i havnt felt like that in ages..mine is just 1mg of ovestine im doing my matinence dose well trying hope its just the cream i need.. but like you..ive noticed i get that vertigo feeling to norm 10 to 12 days before my old periid date as i was regular.. last friday  it happened again but not as bad as last month sooo i just need to work out wether i need to increase my dose 10days before my old periid time or decrease ..but will talk to dr nxt monday hopefully she has also studied abit lol..sry its so long just wanted to explain..im post meno nearly 5yrs and thought i was fine toalready done 16yrs meno lol but yep estrogen for me

Floradora

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2022, 10:26:48 AM »

Hi trickybottom. Yes menopause can cause vertigo, dizziness, nausea etc. I suffered with this and HRT definitely helped. You are on Femseven conti which is classed as a ‘medium’ dose so it is totally unsurprising that you are suffering side effects after years of no estrogen. It does make me cross that doctors don’t point out that virtually everyone starting HRT for the first time, especially if they are a few years past meno, will probably have side effects. The side effects will either pass over time -or they won’t! No way of knowing unfortunately until you’ve given it a good length of time trial. If you are still suffering then you should ask to be put on a ‘low dose’ HRT of which there are a number of options. Unfortunately there are no ‘low dose’ options in a continuous combined patches. Only Evorel Conti and Femseven Conti. Both are 50mcg ‘medium dose’. Doctors like prescribing these as it’s easier and you don’t have to prescribe separate estrogen and progesterone. Unfortunately it’s a ‘one size fits all’ approach and of course one size doesn’t necessarily fit all. Most ladies on here have tried numerous permutations to get the right HRT. You will be lucky if you hit the jackpot first time! Hopefully you will adjust to the patches soon x

KarineT

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2022, 10:10:28 AM »

This dizziness business is terrible.  Mine started four years ago when I was late peri.  At times it was so bad that I was really worried I had a neurological illness.  I did various tests such as a balance test, MRI & echocardiogram for the heart.  Everything came back normal.  I was still getting dizzy.  There were remission periods, then it would start again.  I still get a bit dizzy from time to time but it's not like it used to be.  I had my last period in January 2020 so I'm 2 1/2 years postmeno. I've never been on HRT and I do hope that I will never need it.

KarineT

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2022, 11:58:29 AM »

Hi Trickybottom,

I was just thinking, 10 years postmeno seems a long time to experience meno-related vertigo/dizziness.  Have you had your blood sugar tested?  Maybe, ask your  doctor to do a full health check.

Karine