Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Frequent urination - worried  (Read 3709 times)

Nicodemus

Frequent urination - worried
« on: July 04, 2022, 08:01:45 PM »

In the last week or so but particularly the last few days, I've noticed I need to pee a lot more frequently. I have kept a diary today and it's roughly every hour, despite me not actually drinking that much today. When I go I produce a reasonable amount but I don't feel fully empty. I also feel slightly itchy and uncomfortable down there. No burning when I pee thankfully. I saw the GP this afternoon, they did a urine dip test which came out as absolutely fine. No other symptoms apart from a slightly raised temperature and feeling tired. I'm due to go abroad on holiday on thursday evening and really worried. GP gave me antibiotics (3 day course of macrobid) to take anyway in case I have a UTI that's just not showing up for some reason, plus a single dose fluconazole in case it's thrush. He said if I am not any better by tomorrow afternoon to ring them but that the only other thing it could be is bacterial vaginosis.

Before seeing the GP I tried DMannose over several days and also bought some YES VM. The YES made me feel a bit more comfortable in terms of the itching (possibly cos it's cold) although I don't seem to be dry down there. I don't think the DMannose did anything, but I have never tried it before and maybe it just doesn't work for me. I also tried bicarb in water a couple of times but I think that only helps if it's burning.

I'm just wondering whether this could be a meno symptom? I'm on Evorel 50 having just been moved off Sequi (started HRT about 8 weeks ago) but I don't take any other forms of oestrogen.

Flossieteacake

Re: Frequent urination - worried
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2022, 08:06:27 PM »

In the last week or so but particularly the last few days, I've noticed I need to pee a lot more frequently. I have kept a diary today and it's roughly every hour, despite me not actually drinking that much today. When I go I produce a reasonable amount but I don't feel fully empty. I also feel slightly itchy and uncomfortable down there. No burning when I pee thankfully. I saw the GP this afternoon, they did a urine dip test which came out as absolutely fine. No other symptoms apart from a slightly raised temperature and feeling tired. I'm due to go abroad on holiday on thursday evening and really worried. GP gave me antibiotics (3 day course of macrobid) to take anyway in case I have a UTI that's just not showing up for some reason, plus a single dose fluconazole in case it's thrush. He said if I am not any better by tomorrow afternoon to ring them but that the only other thing it could be is bacterial vaginosis.

Before seeing the GP I tried DMannose over several days and also bought some YES VM. The YES made me feel a bit more comfortable in terms of the itching (possibly cos it's cold) although I don't seem to be dry down there. I don't think the DMannose did anything, but I have never tried it before and maybe it just doesn't work for me. I also tried bicarb in water a couple of times but I think that only helps if it's burning.

I'm just wondering whether this could be a meno symptom? I'm on Evorel 50 having just been moved off Sequi (started HRT about 8 weeks ago) but I don't take any other forms of oestrogen.
This sounds very much like vaginal atrophy. Lack of oestrogen can cause this. I would ask for ovestin or vagifem. These are mild forms of oestrogen. Vagifem is a pessary and ovestin is a cream.

You may want to browse the vaginal atrophy threads on here to learn more. Please do not worry as this can be treated. :)

Lyncola

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2022, 08:33:01 AM »

I agree sounds like vagina atrophy, if you had BV there would be a bad small when you pee, plus a off white grey discharge that sticks to your vagina and is hard to wipe off.
Please asked your doctor about vagina atrophy and hopefully they understand and know how to treat it. I use Vagifem internally and Ovestin externally.
Get a good external moisturiser too like Yes VM or Olive and Bee. It will take you a while to find what works for you. And it will take time to work. It usually a two week loading dose and then two times a week for life. You might be like many of us ladies that will need more then the  recommended dose.
Please feel free to post any questions and there is a private Facebook Vagina Atrophy group which is very helpful too

Nicodemus

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2022, 10:00:24 AM »

Thanks so much both of you. I still seem to be peeing hourly (not in the night though) so will be ringing them back later unless I make a dramatic improvement.

Can they do a test for BV? I don't think it is BV either and I don't think I would accept more antibiotics "just in case" unless a test shows I have it. I will ask about vaginal atrophy. Can you use Ovestin internally as well as externally?

The "itchiness" is almost a feeling like I have papercuts on the lips or just inside. I've had a look with a mirror and nothing looks untoward but it's not like I study myself all the time

Flossieteacake

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2022, 10:13:15 AM »

Thanks so much both of you. I still seem to be peeing hourly (not in the night though) so will be ringing them back later unless I make a dramatic improvement.

Can they do a test for BV? I don't think it is BV either and I don't think I would accept more antibiotics "just in case" unless a test shows I have it. I will ask about vaginal atrophy. Can you use Ovestin internally as well as externally?

The "itchiness" is almost a feeling like I have papercuts on the lips or just inside. I've had a look with a mirror and nothing looks untoward but it's not like I study myself all the time

I think the test for BV is a swab.

Yes, you can use Ovestin internally and externally. It can help to mix it with a little bit of vaginal moisturiser ( I use Yes VM) to apply to the outer area.

Nicodemus

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2022, 07:31:19 PM »

Yep, doctor examined me tonight and it's vaginal atrophy. And he spotted a small tear - ouch. I'm not feeling so worried now that I know what the reason is. So big thanks to both of you again.

I've been given vagifem, ovestin and Sylk. I'm trying the vagifem to begin with (loading), may add ovestin externally if still sore in a few days. Bit worried the vagifem might make my migraines more frequent (should never read the side effects bit of the leaflet) but we'll see.

Flossieteacake

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2022, 07:43:45 PM »

Yep, doctor examined me tonight and it's vaginal atrophy. And he spotted a small tear - ouch. I'm not feeling so worried now that I know what the reason is. So big thanks to both of you again.

I've been given vagifem, ovestin and Sylk. I'm trying the vagifem to begin with (loading), may add ovestin externally if still sore in a few days. Bit worried the vagifem might make my migraines more frequent (should never read the side effects bit of the leaflet) but we'll see.

I am so pleased you saw the Dr and have been given the right treatment. All HRT have the same leaflet so try not to worry about the migraines. I get migraines but have not found any HRT has made them worse.

Dawn20

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2022, 07:48:53 AM »

Glad you’re getting the help you need, and your symptoms will improve soon! Enjoy you holidays.

It still astounds me how GP’s don’t think of VA first, it’s so common. I was referred to a urologist with my symptoms, thinking I might have bladder or kidney problems. It was just VA, much improved with vagifem.

Lyncola

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2022, 08:47:54 AM »

Wonderful sounds like you are lucky and have a great doctor. Remember it does take time to heal, and never stop the treatment it’s for life

joziel

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2022, 02:50:22 PM »

Sounds very similar to my experience and all the 'is it thrush, is it BV, is it blah etc' that I went through too.

The Vagifem won't affect your migraines, it is local only and will only affect that area. Do use the Ovestin as well, because if you can feel it (ie papercuts), it is in your vulva (usually) and that bit isn't going to be reached very easily by the Vagifem. The vulva and the vagina have separate blood supplies so often need separate treatment. Just put a thin amount of Ovestin on every night after your Vagifem. And use the YES in the mornings. (BTW, I think YES OB is better than YES VM or Sylk :) )

Don't expect overnight miracles but in about a month you should be feeling fine again. You will always need the Vagifem at least twice a week and the Ovestin as needed though - if you stop, it will come back. Unless you start systemic HRT and that provides you with enough estrogen. (20% of women need both local and systemic HRT.)

Nicodemus

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2022, 09:36:33 PM »

I felt a bit better bladder-wise this morning after last night's Vagifem but still in quite a bit of vulval pain (burning, papercuts) in spite of applying Ovestin a couple of times. Took some ibuprofen as well. Bladder started up again this evening so took the Vagifem quite early but doesn't seem to be helping. I think we're going to have to cancel the holiday unless I feel a lot better by tomorrow evening. I got made redundant last week so it feels like everything's coming at once.

Flossieteacake

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2022, 09:50:12 PM »

I felt a bit better bladder-wise this morning after last night's Vagifem but still in quite a bit of vulval pain (burning, papercuts) in spite of applying Ovestin a couple of times. Took some ibuprofen as well. Bladder started up again this evening so took the Vagifem quite early but doesn't seem to be helping. I think we're going to have to cancel the holiday unless I feel a lot better by tomorrow evening. I got made redundant last week so it feels like everything's coming at once.

It is very early on in your treatment for the pain to go. This does not mean things will not improve, they will. Sadly, it is not a quick treatment.

I really am sorry you have been made redundant on top of this.

joziel

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2022, 09:36:46 AM »

I agree with Flossie, this is a long-term thing. It's not usually a 'take a dose and you feel better already' treatment - it's a case of 'might not notice any difference for 3 weeks, but then you slowly do' treatment....

Nicodemus

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2022, 11:41:04 AM »

Yeah I understand, thanks both. Fortunately we've been able to move our ferry booking to September without being charged, so will just lose the accommodation money though might be able to claim on travel insurance for it.

In a way the redundancy is good as I don't have to worry about working whilst this is going on (I was awake most of last night in pain) and can just try and take care of myself.

joziel

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2022, 12:19:03 PM »

Do you have some YES OB? ALternatively and just as good is Olive and Bee....

The Ovestin is (medically) what you need, but might not provide enough padding or protection for long enough. Use liberal amounts of oil based moisturisers like those....
Pages: [1] 2