Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: 2 week low histamine diet trial - keeping me accountable!!  (Read 5139 times)

joziel

Re: 2 week low histamine diet trial - keeping me accountable!!
« Reply #45 on: July 13, 2022, 11:49:33 AM »

Day 6

It's a bit of a sad update today. I had a hideous night. It started well where I was tired and sleepy getting into bed. But, just as I was dropping off, I'd wake with a jump - it was like some deep and primal part of my brain just wouldn't let me 'let go' in the way you need to do to fall into a deep sleep. This happened several times over and over. And then my brain just decided it wasn't going to get to the falling asleep stage again, because look what happens every time you try that... so I laid there awake until 3am. With my hands and body pulsing and throbbing and trembling and my heart beating hard and faster than usual. Not so much the palpitations.

This is probably the worst insomnia I've had because I usually have no probs actually falling asleep, I just wake up a few hours later. And usually even if I can't go into a deep sleep, I can doze. This was just really alert wakefulness until 3am. And I knew I just couldn't go on for another week without trying to change something and fix this. It has now become a crisis rather than just an inconvenience I can fiddle around with.

So at 3am I got up and went into the kitchen and took an anti-histamine. I've never taken one before so I had no idea how I'd react to it. I didn't notice a profound difference but at 4am I was able to fall into a light sleep. The anti-histamine might just have made me a bit sleepy rather than resolve anything else - I was still throbbing and still had a hard and faster than usual heart rate, it definitely didn't immediately restore normality. And that throbbing and hard heart beat lasted right through until 8am as usual.

SO: This morning, I decided to reduce my estrogen to 50. I feel like a failure, doing that. Because my estrogen was only 233nmol on the 50 patch and I wanted to get it just a little higher so it was over 300nmol. And I'd originally gone to 75 and dropped back to 62.5 so this just feels like I've totally lost everything I'd gained now. I can try an increase again, though, if I can stabilise everything else. And maybe it will take me YEARS to increase, I will need to go so slow and cut patches so small(!).

I also got the zinc and quercetin I'd ordered delivered in the post, and I've taken both of those. I'm still on the low histamine diet. So I've kinda been not very scientific now because I've changed multiple variables at once. But that's because I feel like I'm in crisis mode now and if I adjust one thing at a time, this could all take weeks and months - and I just can't go on like this for much longer. The new approach is 'do everything at once to feel better and then (if I ever feel better) try stopping or dropping or changing things'. So instead of add something in, one thing at a time, it'll be drop something out, one thing at a time. But I'll be starting from a place where I feel okay rather than feel like I just can't go on.

I am not sure I'm going to continue much further with the diet. After 6 days on it, you'd think I would be seeing definite improvements and I'm just not. It doesn't mean my issues are not mast cell related - they might still be, but just not gut-and-mast cell related. It might be related to how I process estrogen or to the estrogen causing the mast cells to degranulate and release histamine. If I do start to feel better over the next week, it could now be due to the reduction in estrogen or starting these supplements, and I don't want to end up superstitiously eating this crappy diet just because I think it could be the diet(!). I might even change my progesterone regime now too, doubling the utrogestan to see if more body identical progesterone balances the estrogen.

But I thought I'd write a conclusion to the early end of the experiment...  :'(
« Last Edit: July 13, 2022, 11:56:42 AM by joziel »

ElkWarning

« Reply #46 on: July 14, 2022, 09:03:38 PM »

That sounds like a horrid night. So sorry you haven't got to where you want to be ... Yet ...

Pippa52

« Reply #47 on: July 14, 2022, 09:16:27 PM »

So sorry joziel.  The nights feeling like that are really vile and I know how grotty they can be.  Hopefully you dropping your patch strength down to 50 might really help.  I am starting to improve on a lower dose of oestrogen.  Far from right yet but baby steps. Hope so much you have a better night tonight xx

joziel

« Reply #48 on: July 15, 2022, 06:17:55 AM »

Day 7

So I finished my diet trial on day 7. And also started zinc and quercetin and reduced my patch to 50.

I’ve now had two nights at 50 and things are much better. I fall asleep easily and I stay asleep but I still wake early around 6am with throbbing and pulsing against the bed and I think palpitations. I don’t really understand why this is happening every single night. I am much less jittery on the 50 but I did have this before on it and still getting it now. Starting to lose hope because I really don’t want to reduce further.

The only two other things I can think of is to try this progesterone change and to ask to try the gel or spray instead of patches.

Gnatty

« Reply #49 on: July 15, 2022, 07:27:21 AM »

Hi Joziel, your sleeping better on a reduced dose of oestrogen makes sense as one of the symptoms of oestrogen being too high is the inability to actually fall asleep. I have experienced this and it's absolutely awful,you feel like you are never going to fall asleep again! So pleased you have got some sleep now.

joziel

« Reply #50 on: July 15, 2022, 07:37:31 AM »

Thanks gnatty it’s weird isn’t it?

My blood estrogen level was only 233nmol on the 50 so you’d think I’d be good to increase. But it seems my body doesn’t like it. I don’t understand why, because my own levels in my 20s and 30s must have been that high or higher 🤷‍♀️

I really hope these night time palpitations and early waking stop. I’m going to do an experiment on my next patch change days and take the patch off early evening time so I have a night without any patch on - and see what happens then. I tried that before but left the 12.5 mini patch on, which I was using then to get up to 62.5. It didn’t make much difference. But this time I’ll take it all off and see…

Nicodemus

« Reply #51 on: July 15, 2022, 08:12:47 AM »

No advice but huge sympathy. I'm glad the insomnia has at least eased - I know how horrible that is.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]