Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Any tips for a new patch user?  (Read 938 times)

Gilla999

Any tips for a new patch user?
« on: July 01, 2022, 07:56:54 AM »

Switching from Lenzetto (4 sprays) to a 75mcg Estradot this morning and very nervous - it's the first time I've switched my HRT product since April 2021 when Lenzetto worked so well for me (but for a few reasons I need to now switch).

If any patch users have any helpful tips like how / when / where best to apply them feel free to send them my way  :)
« Last Edit: July 03, 2022, 06:32:14 AM by Gilla999 »

ATB

Re: Any tips for a new patch user?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2022, 08:03:22 AM »

I have evorel patches so might be different, but I apply after a shower, really dry the area and I put it on the top of my thighs- Monday is left, Thursday is right. I press on it a little to help it stick and smooth any bubbles. I have tried a hot bath in them, but on the day I stuck it on so probably not a good idea as that one wasn’t stuck down well but otherwise I’ve found them easy to use. I was on gel, switched to patch for ease and it was fine- I absorbed better though so need reduced dose. Good luck hope it works out for you.

Gilla999

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2022, 08:13:43 AM »

Thanks ATB and great to see you here  :) - is there any reason why you have to switch between left/right thigh - is that what they recommend? And you haven't found any problems with them coming off in the shower, is it ok to get them wet in general? Interesting on the dose reduction too - I'm on 4 sprays of Lenzetto and can't work out whether to go for 1 x 75mcg patch or 2 patches (37.5 and 25) which is what has arrived due to lack of availability of some strengths. The Lenzetto dosage guidelines are so vague it's hard to know!

ATB

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2022, 08:34:38 AM »

It is what was recommended, I’m assuming because then you know you’ve changed it too? Plus it leaves a little sticky stuff residue from the edges of the patch, takes a few days for me to easily rub it off and a new one won’t stick well on top of the mark. Does that make sense? Yes you can get it wet, no problem. It says you can take a bath and swim too, but on the day I applied one I think it wasn’t the best idea. I decided if I want a soak in a bath I’ll do that on a day I’m about to change it, before I put a new one on, not after. I’m going swimming soon so I’ll find out if it sticks ok then. It’s better to take a shower before you apply one, rather than after as it takes a while to fully be stuck on well and can bubble a bit if you shower afterwards. But usually showers don’t matter to it at all.

Pippa52

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2022, 08:35:30 AM »

Hi Gilla - best of luck with the switch and I totally get why you are worried about it.  I have found that the Estradot patches stick really well and have had no problem with them coming off at all even after showering. They are considerably smaller than some of the other patches too.  I always hold them down firmly for about 10 seconds after applying to make sure they stick well.  As others are rightly saying make sure your skin is totally dry and don't use any type of moisturiser on the skin before you apply them.  The BMS website says that the 50 patch is equivalent to 3 sprays of Lenzetto which did surprise me but they are definitely stronger than Lenzetto ....I am currently working up slowly from a 50 patch to a 75 one as I am ridiculously sensitive to oestrogen dose changes.  It appears that Lenzetto is not as strong as was first thought apparently.  Please let us know how you get on and I will keep everything crossed for you it goes well.  I did find that it took several days to notice any effects - the headaches I got were mild compared to my experience on another patch.  At least with patches it is easy to correct the dose by cutting them xxxx

Gilla999

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2022, 01:07:02 PM »

Thanks very much ladies this is all really helpful - I'm about to stick them on!

One final question I do have - if I'm applying it twice a week, doesn't that mean I'm getting a bigger hit of Estrogen half the week than the other? Can I instead change it regularly (say every 3 days) to get a more steady dose?

Also it's telling me to apply to the abdomen and not the thigh - does it make a difference? Sorry for all the obvious newbie questions!
« Last Edit: July 01, 2022, 01:11:22 PM by Gilla999 »

ATB

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2022, 01:50:11 PM »

You may have different instructions to me. Mine was below waist, thighs was one area, and the way it is released means it doesn’t matter one is 3 days and one 4. For me, I notice no difference from one day to the next, other than my cycle itself affects it but not the patch application as far as I can tell.

VanillaLover

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2022, 02:10:27 PM »

They are supposed to deliver a steady dose over the whole time even if it’s four days rather than three. There shouldn’t be any tailing off - I think the manufacturers have built in quite a bit of leeway in this.

Also, you switch sides because the patches work on a gradient effect ….when you take one off the skin underneath is saturated with oestrogen (simplistic) and will not absorb more. Use the same area both sides as the amount of fat in the area affects absorption rate. Good luck. I love patches they are so convenient. I have never had an6 problem with them sticking on (Evorel)

VanillaLover

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2022, 02:12:17 PM »

Oh yes and shouldn’t have any problems getting them wet. They are very clever things

Gilla999

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2022, 02:36:12 PM »

Ladies this is super, super helpful, thank you so much! I'll stick to the twice a week then and I'll apply to the abdomen as the Estradot instructions advise.

I've gone with the 1 x 37.5 and 1 x 25 - I figure if it's too low compared to the Lenzetto I've been on, I'll know pretty quickly as I know all my symptoms very well now. Better to do that and increase if I need to.

Thanks again for all your help, much appreciated x

ATB

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2022, 03:00:28 PM »

Oh I didn’t know about the reason to switch sides, thanks! Interesting. I was so paranoid at the start with gels, patches, pills and testosterone cream!

Flan747

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2022, 03:16:23 PM »

Good luck Gilla! I’m in Everol and use Tegaderm to hold them in place and also it stops the black residue being left on my thighs😄 I do Sunday AM and Wednesday PM so I get 3 1/5 days out of them, not necessary but in my head it is! Xx

joziel

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2022, 06:51:08 PM »

Gilla, I have Estradot and I really like them. They stick really well and are pretty small. They have never come off in the shower but I don't have baths and haven't swum yet with one on...

I change them every 3.5 days. So - Monday evening and Friday morning. That way I use each patch the same amount of time and not 3 days and 4 days.

I put them on the area just at the top of my thigh, so where your knicker elastic goes - just above that. It's debatable whether it is top of thigh or bottom of abdomen but it's under my knickers anyway.

I switch from one side to the other and I use some baby oil to remove the sticky stuff from the old patch. (Burts Bees make a lovely one which smells really nice!)

Gilla999

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2022, 07:02:28 PM »

Thank you Flan and Joziel that's a great tip. At the moment I've got them on my tummy but the rolls of fat   :'( make me worry it's not on properly. So slightly lower down where it's flat would be better next time. And good idea on the AM/PM thing - even if it's only psychological I think it can't hurt while I'm first using them!

It's pretty nerve wracking changing your HRT when Lenzetto literally saved my life when I started it in April 21. So it's great to hear some positive feedback from others who use the patched xx

Gilla999

Lenzetto dose equivalents
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2022, 01:30:17 PM »

Thought I'd change the title of the thread to keep in one place and not bombard the forum!

Pippa, you mentioned you're on 50mcg and working your way up - I wondered how you were finding that and what dose you were on now? I realise it's only been 24 hours but I'm pretty sensitive to things and feeling a bit of a surge in Estrogen (a bit hyper and racing heart, ravenous hunger). I'll see how it goes but I suspect the 4 sprays of Lenzetto is actually weaker than what I put on yesterday, which was
1 x 37.5 mcg
1 x 25 mcg
So 62.5 altogether.

Of course I won't be making any changes for a while I know things need to bed in, but I am wondering if anyone else has any experience on dose equivalents of Lenzetto and thinking what my next option would be if this does continue to feel too high. 50mcg seems to be a bit low from the dose equivalents give by the BMS and Louise Newsom, but it's frustrating that the advice given is so vague when it comes to Lenzetto!