Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Advice please.. Upped utrogestan to 200mgs but bleeding now  (Read 953 times)

Molly

Hi there, I have been on oestrogel 2 pumps a day and 100mg utrogestan from day 15 to 26.
I changed consultant and she said I should be on 200 mg utrogestan so started taking that. I then didn't get a bleed at the end of the month but got a bleed 12 days late. I don't know if I should take my utrogestan in as normal which would be in 2 days time just after ovulation or do I count this as day 3 of my period and wait till day 15.

Any help appreciated. Thanks guys

Clarella

Re: Advice please.. Upped utrogestan to 200mgs but bleeding now
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2022, 07:15:14 AM »

When I had this situation most people said to continue as normal and cycle would adjust.

I felt a bit uncomfortable starting it that early though and on more oestrogen so compromised by delaying the utrogestan by a week / a few days.

I work off a 4 weekly cycle though so start on a Saturday for 12 days then wait 2 and a bit weeks as here: https://www.liverpoolwomens.nhs.uk/media/3548/taking-utrogestan-patient-information-leaflet.pdf

My bleeds seem to be about a week or more after I stop the utrogestan though so I technically start utrogestan around day 9- 21. Same happened when I did over a full calendar month. I’m using vaginally and no idea if makes a difference.

sheila99

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2022, 09:00:31 AM »

It is supposed to work with your body not against it so it should be in step with your own cycle. I spent a year trying to fit my natural 6 week cycle into the 4 week evorel sequi cycle. The result was bleeding at any time of the month, sometimes twice in a month and far too many days with pmt. It was a joy to change to gel/utro so I could alter hrt cycle to fit in with my own. If you have no cycle of your own the hrt can take over but as you have one I think it's unlikely. My cycle is always stronger than the hrt one. The idea of the 28 day hrt cycle is so it's aligned with your own 28 day cycle and you take the progestin at the time of the month when you're producing your own.

IMO the medical establishment who tell you to to carry on with the hrt cycle regardless of your own haven't experienced it. If they had I suspect the advice would be different.

Molly

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2022, 03:19:59 PM »

Thanks for the replies girls.. So I should take it today even though I have a period and hope it settles as my period isn't due for 2 weeks time.. I should be ovulating now. Fun n games girls thks

joziel

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2022, 07:49:49 AM »

The official advice is to take it as scheduled and hopefully over a few months it will all get into sync. If not you can make some adjustments…

Molly

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2022, 07:16:48 PM »

Thank you joziel xx

VanillaLover

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2022, 07:45:58 AM »

Hi, been on HRT for best part of a year and my own periods nowhere near in synch with the HRT! I get a period when taking utro, when not, it makes no difference. I don’t get a withdrawal bleed at all when I stop taking it.

I have just kept on with the two weeks on, two weeks off schedule. Not sure what will happen when my periods actually stop! Luckily I don’t mind utrogestan so it makes no odds to me.

I used to be able to tell when I ovulated but I don’t think I can any more (I think a lot of my cycles are annovulatory now anyway eg the 16 day or 37 day ones!). So I don’t think I could adjust starting the utro really anyway.

I keep taking the utro to oppose the extra oestrogen I’m taking in the patch. The consultant said to me as long as you are bleeding “regularly” then it’s ok if you don’t get a withdrawal bleed and have your own period instead.

sheila99

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2022, 09:12:16 AM »

That's what I've been trying to say - the hrt cycle will never override your own. Anyone who thinks it will has never actually tried it. If you have no cycle of your own then you will usually (not always) have an hrt induced bleed.
  They produce patches with a 28 day cycle because that's what most women have. They tell you to start when you have your period so the hrt cycle is in step with your own. If it didn't matter they'd tell you to start at any time. Why should you be in step when you start but not later? There's no logic to it, it either matters or it doesn't (and for me it does). And if it doesn't matter why do they make hrt with a 28 day cycle?