Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Thin skin and purple bruising.  (Read 3086 times)

Ju Ju

Thin skin and purple bruising.
« on: June 29, 2022, 06:48:09 PM »

Housework has become hazardous. Since entering my 60s, my forearms bruise very easily, leaving purple bruising, or worse, my skin comes away. Just knocking my arms lightly when putting washing in the washing machine bruises. My arm is now bleeding after trying to make the king size bed…heavy memory foam mattress on a wooden bed frame. Door frames and handles can be vicious! My arms are unsightly with scars and bruises, causing concern from other people. Of course I had it checked out initially. Doctor unconcerned as it’s only my forearms, but bloods checked just in case. I now find I have relatives who had the same problem, so probably inherited. Does anyone else have this problem? I suppose I have an excuse not to do certain tasks! DH is now the official bed maker until we buy a new one!  ;D

Flossieteacake

Re: Thin skin and purple bruising.
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2022, 07:11:27 PM »

I noticed I bruise a lot more when I do not take vitamin B12. I do mot know if that is something you may like to try.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2022, 07:21:21 PM »

Thinning of skin is common.  I used to bruise easily in my teens. 

When I took my dog visiting the residents of a care home, 1 lady had really thin skin and was concerned that being touched even gently would cause blisters which required treatment. 

MayB buy a suite of armour for those household chores ?  :whist: 

Ju Ju

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2022, 09:36:08 PM »

Well, DH suggested that isolation foam you put on water pipes!  ;D I want to vacuum under the bed tomorrow, so will have to put a very thick jumper on. It may well be a premature ageing thing.

sheila99

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2022, 10:16:31 PM »

You can get clothing that protects your skin, try googling thin skin clothing.

Ju Ju

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2022, 09:28:13 PM »

Oh thank you. I didn’t know that. I couldn’t face housework today! Any excuse! ;D

Suza

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2022, 08:02:50 AM »

My gran had the same problem. She would do gardening, come back in the house covered in big red, purple bruising on her hands and forearms. The skin would sometimes tear. I find now since turning 60 I get the same. The slightest knock on my hands in particular, and I get a massive spreading red bleed under my skin. I seem to go through periods when it's worse then a few weeks of nothing
Think you're right about it being a family condition

joziel

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2022, 07:10:56 PM »

Apparently it can be a sign of low iron levels (bruising easily). Have you had your ferritin tested recently?

Ju Ju

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2022, 08:43:14 PM »

When it first happened I got my bloods checked. All in normal range. Iron in the low end of normal, but that’s how it’s been for years. Saw the gynaecologist yesterday and she immediately spotted the bruises, but recognised it as ageing prematurely.

Sheila, I’ve ordered some forearm protectors! I’ll see how that goes.

Suza, yes sometimes it looks as if I’ve been beaten up! It was the washing machine, not DH!

joziel

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2022, 08:51:16 PM »

I would try to get your iron levels up and see if that makes a difference. They tell you that 'normal' is anything above 10, which is shockingly low. There is a ridiculously big range.

Mine were 44 at last count and I am trying to get mine up...

Floradora

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2022, 10:52:20 AM »

I’ve always been a ‘bad bruiser’ ! It can be very embarrassing but I’ve grown used to it. It did get worse when I was at my worst with endometriosis/ blood loss so def have a look at iron & b12. There’s less collagen in the skin so less resilience to knocks and bumps. Interestingly, mine hugely improved after I was seen to be vit D deficient and so put on supplements. It was a welcome side effect of the Vit D treatment as well as obviously feeling so much better due to correcting the low Vit D x

Ju Ju

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2022, 02:08:03 PM »

I take vit D supplements daily and my levels have remained good. I do get very tired/exhausted even when sleeping well, but HRT has helped with this.

I’ve just got some arm protectors through the post. Not tried and tested yet!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2022, 02:27:20 PM »

I find bubble wrap useful  ;D as when it pops, I know that I"m too close  :D