Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Different estrogens having different effects both positive and negative  (Read 2245 times)

pepperminty

Hi ladies,

I was prescribed premarin ( estrogen ) years ago (when it was prempac C ). I took it with trepidation but literally  within a few days , my skin was glowing and I looked really well. It was like I had lost 10 years off my face, and given me new skin. I had no aches and pains and that was great.  Vagina
 back to normal .The only thing was a bit of AM nausea. Boobs a little sore - but I would take sore boobs over anxiety, pain and exhaustion.

Anyway the progesterone part of that particular HRT drove me insane - no sleep , sweating ( which was not one of my then symptoms before I took it! ) and emotional.
Anyway after 3 months I came off it as I could not stand the progesterone and started the one I am on now.

This HRT is  Femosten  which  increased my aches , but evened everything else out eventually.

Anyway I have tried upping the dosage to the equivalent dose of the  Premarin I previously took and my face came up puffy literally over night and my skin went terrible. It was like I aged 10 years, dark circles also.
So I was stuck with my low dose.

So my conclusion is some estrogens may suit some better than others.

I don't think it is just an absorption thing for me as both are oral HRT. The conjugated estrogens worked well it seems - not so much the estrogen in Femosten.

I wonder why this would be that one estrogen made me well and glow and the other just keeps me ticking ( although not so much anymore).

PMxx

Nas

It’s interesting as Premarin is what my 70 year old mum takes and has done for decades. She swears by it, 1mg daily. It addresses all her symptoms effectively. She is gob smacked that I have been through so many preparations in two years!

Avum Bluming, author of oestrogen matters, is an advocate of Premarin also ( I think ).

I think the conjugated oestrogen types are under represented personally.

I also tried femeston ( conti) The progesterone was great, but the oestrogen way too low.

It is true, not all oestrogens work in the same way ( except they should!)

🙂

pepperminty

It’s interesting as Premarin is what my 70 year old mum takes and has done for decades. She swears by it, 1mg daily. It addresses all her symptoms effectively. She is gob smacked that I have been through so many preparations in two years!

Avum Bluming, author of oestrogen matters, is an advocate of Premarin also ( I think ).

I think the conjugated oestrogen types are under represented personally.

I also tried femeston ( conti) The progesterone was great, but the oestrogen way too low.

It is true, not all oestrogens work in the same way ( except they should!)

🙂

Hi Nas,

does she use utrogestan with it ?

PMXX

Nas

No PM, she had a hysterectomy years ago x

Winterose

I’m interested in Premarin having read the the Oestrogen matters book as it contains several estrogens and one which has shown benefits in protecting us from dementia . Would like to hear more about it from those that take it .

pepperminty

I’m interested in Premarin having read the the Oestrogen matters book as it contains several estrogens and one which has shown benefits in protecting us from dementia . Would like to hear more about it from those that take it .

It has bad press due to obvious reasons. I suspect those who take it keep quiet.  The author does think it is a good estrogen. I do not know of any stdies saying otherwise. It was the progesterones in the mix that were the culprits.

PMXX

madamshome

• First Flush

Thanks for the different take on premarin. It's such a pity that we are stuck with studies that don't isolate the estrogen & progesterone components.
Some of the synthetic progesterones seem to be clearly problematic & I have found challenges in finding the optimal dose of even bio-id progesterone. I appreciate that this is an estrogen thread & will be interested to learn if there are any other premarin experiences from those who don't need to take a progestin.

Gnatty

It will be more than annoying if I have been taking the wrong sort of oestrogen to help prevent dementia. It's my biggest fear, getting Alzheimer's. A very interesting thread. I wonder how we can find out more.

pepperminty

It will be more than annoying if I have been taking the wrong sort of oestrogen to help prevent dementia. It's my biggest fear, getting Alzheimer's. A very interesting thread. I wonder how we can find out more.

I think the link is obvious , but not proven with dementia.Since the scare when ladies stopped HRT the rates have gone up.  There must be more studies somewhere. I have met many older people with dementia, and believe me it is a horrendous disease. Especially if you are incontinent .

Gnatty

So are you going to see if you can go back on Premarin?

pepperminty

So are you going to see if you can go back on Premarin?

I think I will, I did want to try estrogel - but there is a shortage here and I could not face changing to something you can't get! I have other health issues at the moment , so I need to get those a bit better before I do anything, so I can get a clear run . Otherwise I wont know what symptoms are caused by what.  Change is scary.  The change to Utro scares me more. Dygesterone suits me and I always hoped that they will bring it back - what with the new interest in menopause etc.
I know I will have to try and change HRT - but work, and other health issues happen to scupper me. 

PMXX

Nas

I have read very few negatives about Premarin. My mum is as sharp as a piñ on it and she only had to miss 2 doses maximum and she’s a jittery wreck she says. For her it works a treat. She has had far better symptom relief on Premarin, than I’ve ever had with these transdermal preparations, which are meant to be better!

Gnatty

Nas do you think you might give it a try? How easy is it to get a prescription? I am curious as I did read the book, Oestrogen Matters and found it a bit unsettling as it did seem to suggest that maybe the new body identical hormones aren't as good at preventing some diseases as the older types.

Nas

I would probably need 2mg Gnatty, but would never rule trying it out.
Obviously ethics comes into play and that does put me off a bit.
But, if it sorted my symptoms, better, I wouldn’t hesitate.

Obtaining a prescription, is easy i think.

If the new body identical products were so great, I don’t know why many women struggle with them. Bleeding seems a big issue for many too.
And utrogestan, well if it is body identical, why again, do so many women react adversely? Yet, it is favored time and time again, over synthetic progesterone.

It’s all trial at the end of the day I suppose. What works for one, doesn’t necessarily for the other. Often I think too, that when we switch products, we are swapping one set of symptoms for another!

X

Marchlove

I agree wholeheartedly Nas!

There’s something not right somewhere and can’t get to the bottom of it.
I can’t understand why so many women drop out of hrt, many in the first 3-6 months.
This did not, so I understand, be the case prior to the 2002 WHI study.

Being a horse owner for a lot of my life, I would really struggle with taking Premarin. I wouldn’t know what to do if this turned out to be a route out of all this for me.
It’s not so much that’s it’s made from
Pregnant mares urine, after all many of  consume cows, goats milk. It’s the ethics behind it’s collection and quality of life that’s the issue for me.
That said, I wholeheartedly defend any Women’s choice to take it. X
Pages: [1] 2 3