Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Switching from cyclical to continuous HRT - stupid question!  (Read 1012 times)

TidyingFairy

• First Flush

Hi - new user here, with a really daft question!Sorry if it's long, but this is the full story -

I started HRT 3 and a half years ago. At the time of starting, I was 56 and hadn't had a period for 9 months. The doctor said that on the balance of probabilities, I would probably be fine to start on continuous HRT. I started on 2 and half pumps of Oestrogel a day, and daily Utrogestan. It was great, all my symptoms disappeared. About 7 months in I started continuously spotting. Then I had what seemed like a full period, then back to the spotting. TV scan showed no issues. Doctor advised to change to cyclical, to end the spotting, and at least know when I was going to bleed. So I have been on this cyclical regime for nearly two years and have been fine on it.

The doctor suggested that now I'm 59, I'm probably ok to go back to continuous, which I would prefer. She didn't tell me how, and stupidly, I just had my two Utrogestan free weeks, with a bleed, then when the time to start Utrogestan again came around, I just took one Utrogestan a day, instead of the two I'd take on the cyclical regime. I then had a bleed a month after the last one. And realised that I did it wrong!

I'm assuming that because I had two weeks with no progesterone, my womb lining built up, so then taking just one Utrogestan wasn't enough to stop the bleed?

So how do I switch over?? I've gone back to cyclical for this cycle, so will have a bleed in a few weeks, or do I just go straight into taking Utrogestan continuously? I am really confused!

Any advice gratefully received  :)

Dotty

Re: Switching from cyclical to continuous HRT - stupid question!
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2023, 10:05:07 AM »

Hi when you've finished the 2 weeks of Utrogestan ...start taking 100mg of Utrogestan every night.  It might take a while for the bleeding to settle down.

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2023, 11:09:50 AM »

Hi TidyingFairy. No question is stupid on here so just ask away.

Good advice from Dotty. Fingers crossed it works but as she says it may take a while to settle

Taz x  :welcomemm:

TidyingFairy

• First Flush
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2023, 01:10:07 PM »

Thank you both! I was thinking that's what I should do, but didn't want to get it wrong again!

:thankyou:

sheila99

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2023, 07:21:33 PM »

I would do it differently. I'd take the 2 weeks sequi then have a break of about 5 days to allow the bleed then take the conti dose. This way your lining should start off thin.

TidyingFairy

• First Flush
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2023, 04:28:52 PM »

I would do it differently. I'd take the 2 weeks sequi then have a break of about 5 days to allow the bleed then take the conti dose. This way your lining should start off thin.

Interesting you should say that, as I have one more day of 2 x Utrogestan, but I started spotting a couple of days ago  ::) so I think if I went immediately onto one Utrogestan a day continuously I'd just be spotting forever. Which is what happened last time. I'm leaning towards staying on sequi as at least I know where I am bleeding-wise.

I originally consulted the Newson Clinic, but have switched back to my GP prescribing, but I have no confidence in being able to discuss this with a GP. I work and all consultations are on the phone, they just ring you, don't give you a day or time and I can't take personal calls at work so no NHS GP for me  ::) ::)

I'd prefer not to go back to Newson as I think they are very expensive, I'm pondering other options, as I'd like to be able to talk options through.