Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: PPI’s and Covid 19  (Read 3137 times)

Taz2

Re: PPI’s and Covid 19
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2022, 04:14:53 PM »

I have to take a PPI due to a hiatal hernia. I find it helpful to take B12, magnesium and Calcium supplements along side it.

My gastric consultant said that the ppi interferes withabsorption/transportation of magnesium and calcium so supplements might not be effective. It's all very confusing but I'm trying to understand it all
I have to take lanzaprazole 30 minutes before breakfast. After my breakfast I take one of my supplements. I figured the gap is enough. I then take another supplement with lunch. Etc.

The lanzaprazole will still have worked on preventing the stomach acid (I think) so even though you've left some time between the two  the acid level will still be the same. That's how I understood it. I did find one study where they stopped the ppi for a certain time then supplemented the missing vitamins and then restarted the ppi once levels had risen again. The ones who were given the supplements without stopping ppi were unable to raise their levels. Not sure where I found it now. It is interesting too that low acid leads to the same symptoms as high acid. Not an easy fix. If it's working for you though dont change it.

Taz x  :)

Flossieteacake

« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2022, 05:30:06 PM »

I have to take a PPI due to a hiatal hernia. I find it helpful to take B12, magnesium and Calcium supplements along side it.

My gastric consultant said that the ppi interferes withabsorption/transportation of magnesium and calcium so supplements might not be effective. It's all very confusing but I'm trying to understand it all
I have to take lanzaprazole 30 minutes before breakfast. After my breakfast I take one of my supplements. I figured the gap is enough. I then take another supplement with lunch. Etc.

The lanzaprazole will still have worked on preventing the stomach acid (I think) so even though you've left some time between the two  the acid level will still be the same. That's how I understood it. I did find one study where they stopped the ppi for a certain time then supplemented the missing vitamins and then restarted the ppi once levels had risen again. The ones who were given the supplements without stopping ppi were unable to raise their levels. Not sure where I found it now. It is interesting too that low acid leads to the same symptoms as high acid. Not an easy fix. If it's working for you though dont change it.

Taz x  :)

Once I did try to stop taking a PPI and the acid reflux was so bad and did not improve. I have had many blood tests since being on PPIs and none have shown I lack anything which is odd. I remember before I took B12 I had nerve pain in my hands and feet. That went after taking B12 so maybe we do absorb some vitamins just not all.

Taz2

« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2022, 07:16:02 PM »

I don't think everyone develops deficiencies so it sounds as if you are ok Flossieteacake.  :)

Flossieteacake

« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2022, 07:16:57 PM »

I don't think everyone develops deficiencies so it sounds as if you are ok Flossieteacake.  :)
Thank you Tax2  :)

Marchlove

« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2022, 07:56:40 PM »

Good they’re doing the blood tests Flossie, must be reassuring for you x

Flossieteacake

« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2022, 08:10:23 PM »

Good they’re doing the blood tests Flossie, must be reassuring for you x

Thank you Marchlove. :)
Pages: 1 [2]