Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Mirtazapine  (Read 1891 times)

moonbeam121167

Mirtazapine
« on: June 30, 2022, 06:51:35 PM »

Evening all

have not been on her for while, have suffered from chronic tension headaches for around 20 yrs, tried everything, Amitriptyline, Nortriptyline, Propanolol, , Gabapetin, Acupunture and Prozac but nothing ever worked, then about 3 years ago a new GP gave me Mirtazapine but already is on Citalopram , they both been working fantastic but the weight gain has been horrible so I decided to come off the Mirtazapine, been off it for about a month but OMG this last couple of days my headaches are awful, my IBS is also bad again, nausea, food smells my me feel sick, my husband aftershave makes it worse, point to this I am tempted to say what the hell and go back on them as my quality of life is horrible can someone help please.

Flossieteacake

Re: Mirtazapine
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2022, 06:58:33 PM »

How did you come off the Mitazapine? It needs to be done really slowly to avoid side effects. Did your GP advise you on how to taper off? It is so infuriating that it helped you but made you gain weight too.

moonbeam121167

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2022, 07:01:20 PM »

Yes I did it properly by tapering off very slowly but as I said a month off I am feeling horrendous, I have spent all day on the sofa with a crippling headache  :'(

Flossieteacake

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2022, 07:12:25 PM »

Yes I did it properly by tapering off very slowly but as I said a month off I am feeling horrendous, I have spent all day on the sofa with a crippling headache  :'(

One month may not have been slow enough as you have been on it for three years. If you really want to stop taking it then maybe you could take half a pill until your symptoms subside and then reduce it afterwards?

moonbeam121167

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2022, 07:17:30 PM »

Thats what I thought of doing tonight is take 1/2 maybe every other night, thanks for replying x

Flossieteacake

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2022, 07:23:28 PM »

Thats what I thought of doing tonight is take 1/2 maybe every other night, thanks for replying x

You are most welcome. Whenever I have had to come off any medication, I have always had to do it at a much slower pace then they recommend. I hope you feel better after taking half a pill.

moonbeam121167

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2022, 07:26:11 PM »

As I said been on alot of different pills  and never felt as good as I have on Mirtazapine but i am now as fat as I was carrying my 4 children and I hate it but as my husband said its about your quality of life , I am so confused  :'(

Flossieteacake

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2022, 07:29:01 PM »

As I said been on alot of different pills  and never felt as good as I have on Mirtazapine but i am now as fat as I was carrying my 4 children and I hate it but as my husband said its about your quality of life , I am so confused  :'(

I agree with your husband. I understand it is not nice to be a shape we do not like but I really do think quality of life comes first. If you felt healthier on the mirtazapine then I can see why your husband thinks you should continue. You have to do what is right for you though.