Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Decision time  (Read 740 times)

Sheri

Decision time
« on: June 28, 2022, 10:42:29 AM »

I'm coming up to 3 months on HRT. The other week, i had the most amazing anxiety free time. I'm coming to the end of my prog/estrogen combined patch & I'm getting nervous as last time, it made me quite bad once i went back onto the estrogen.
These past 2 days, my anxiety has increased & all the feelings that go hand in hand with anxiety, like confusion, racing heart, tingling fingers & toes & neg thoughts.
I'm due a period within a few days so that's the cause i think.
I even started getting hot flushes which i didn't really get much off before  just the odd one a day.
I guess i have to see how i am on the estrogen only patch & decide then whether its worth carrying on.
Unfortunately now, I've forgotten what i was like before HRT.
I've looked briefly through my fitbit mood & its seems to be not much different to how i am on HRT as it says, i had a few good days followed by mostly bad days.
The dates of my bad days before HRT is the same as the ones on HRT.
Its so confusing. I've been given a 6 month supply of HRT by my gynae as he doesn't want to see me again until Dec but i haven't put the script in to pharmacy as i feel it would be a dreadful waste if i didn't use them.
I really don't know which way to go.
Changing to a pill form of prog or est is not an option as i need to protect my liver & oral HRT gets metabolised through liver so my CF pharmacist said NO!!

Marchlove

Re: Decision time
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2022, 10:51:44 AM »

Hi Sheri

I’m sorry your having these issues.
It sounds from what you’ve said that it’s the estrogen only that’s causing the anxiety.

In which case a combined continuous might suit you better. I believe you’re still in peri, but many women who have endometriosis use a continuous regime, so it could be a possibility for you to consider. X

Sheri

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2022, 10:58:22 AM »

Would that cause a continuous bleed or irregular spotting?

joziel

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2022, 12:51:08 PM »

I agree. Consider a continuous regime. I have endo, I'm 44yo and I'm on continuous HRT so I can prevent any endo flare-ups.

I've only been on it for 3 months though, so not sure I can really report back about breakthrough bleeding. I'm currently getting some spotting (5 days) which is the first time I've had any not related to an increase in estrogen.

But the thing is, pre-menopausal women taking the POP every day will get breakthrough bleeds of a few days here and there and no one freaks out and sends them off for scans and tests.

And even if doctors freak out, there are other protocols - like the continuous protocol where you have 3 days off a month. That would schedule a bleed but also enable you to have progesterone most of the time. I think we tend to get stuck thinking it's "continuous" or "sequential" (2 wks on, 2 off) - but it may be that as the world gets more knowledgeable about all this, that we realise there are many variations...

pepperminty

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2022, 07:13:15 AM »

Hi,

if you are still in peri sequential ( monthly bleed is recommend ). What happens is your hormones go up and down in the back ground. the usual time for a change in mood is as the progesterone builds up to cause a bleed then you can have a drop in mood when you stop the progesterone and restart the estrogen only bit. The estrogen only bit  starts again and you stabilise on the estrogen only, then after 2 weeks start the progesterone again and it builds  . ( to shed the womb lining).  I hope this makes sense . And your own hormones are going up and down in the back ground also.

It took me 4 months to stabilise, and nothing will be perfect.
If your don't see an improvement at all in this time and there is no improvement for you generally  then look at changing to a different progesterone perhaps. The older progesterone's can be quite harsh. Utrogestan and gel suits a lot of people.
There are lots of types to try and the estrogen bit obviously suits you as you say the you felt calm.
Also try relaxation and remember that the feeling is temporary.

Some ladies do long cycle 6 weeks rotation with supervision because they don't like feeling crap on the progesterone phase.

I hope you feel better soon

PMXX