Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Problems with Eye  (Read 675 times)

luckylady

• First Flush
Problems with Eye
« on: June 28, 2022, 07:23:42 PM »

Never had eye problems before, just turned 50

April this year, I devolped a chazalion on my right eyelid, which did go down on its own after 4 weeks, it is slightly still there.  Once that had gone down I got another one on the opposite eye.  This one was not moving and I was due to go on holiday somewhere really hot, so after warm compressing for a couple of weeks, I did pay to go private and I saw a consultant who just said I can lance it out.  She did that and did not really discuss why I was getting them, and oddily got one on each eye.  And did not discuss after care either.

I have not worn any mascara since April, thrown away all old make up and have new ready.

Eyes appeared okay and then on Friday I developed another eye problem.  I felt that I had something in my left eye inside.  I went to sleep woke up loads in the night and my eye was streaming.  I was quite scared and ended up taking myself to Moorfields Eye Hospital.  Was seen very quickly by a nurse who said I had something called concretions which is calcium build up and normal. She removed it there and then, sent me on my way.  She mentioned dry eye from Chalazion. 

So I am asking it seems that it there is something going on with my eyes and I really need to find out how to prevent these outbursts.

Any advice appreciated thank you

Marchlove

Re: Problems with Eye
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2022, 08:11:39 PM »

Hi Luckylady, welcome to the forum.

The only information I can offer is that I have a friend who had the same thing last summer. She went to eye hospital twice and eas given some sort of ointment and told it would take some time to improve.
After 9 months she’s 90% better and no longer uses the medication.

Dry eye is very much linked to hormones. Do you think there might be a hormonal link here? X

Peana

Re: Problems with Eye
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2022, 12:34:31 PM »

Sounds awful luckylady.  I've not experienced what you describe, but do get dry eyes.  I'm still waiting for my rheumatology appointment, but the GP thinks I've got an auto-immune condition (lupus, or sjogrens, or connective tissue disease, or ... whatever, hopefully I'll find out eventually).  In the meantime, I've been trying to find out more information.  It seems that women are more prone to such conditions, and they often come to light around times of hormonal change (puberty, pregancy, menopause, etc.).  It might be worth asking for that to be investigated? 

When I was younger my hayfever was much worse than I experience now, and that also caused horrible eye problems, which still flare up every now and then.  I take an anti-histamine all year round to try and catch any inflamation before it starts.

I hope you manage to get to the bottom of things.