Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Can the Depo-Provera contraceptive injection be used as the progesterone part of  (Read 1385 times)

Meno44

HRT?…

As I’m having some issues with using Utrogestan it got me thinking about progesterone.

I was taking the drop-provera contraception injection for many years with no issues at all.

I know provera is sometimes prescribed as part of a HRT regime, I’m sure provera is the same as depo-provera?

Has anyone ever had the injection as part of their HRT?

sheila99

I think depo provera can cause bone loss which may not be a problem when you're young but might be when you're older and in the age bracket where you may develop osteoporosis. I think (I may be wrong) provera used for hrt doesn't carry the same risk.

joziel

Sheila is right - Depo causes bone loss and isn't recommended or acceptable for HRT progesterone.

There are very specific approved progesterones for HRT use and really it officially at the moment comes down to utrogestan or provera if you want a stand-alone progesterone (ie one not in a combined patch).

If you use a combined patch, you can also choose from norethisterone and levonorgestrel. If you go with an oral combined HRT, there is dydrogesterone too (Femoston).

And of course, the Mirena coil. If you want something equivalent to Depo, long-lasting which you don't need to think about daily, which completely stops your periods - then the Mirena might suit.

Meno44

Thanks for your replies.

So is the Provera the same as depo-provera? Just one is a tablet and one is injectable.

joziel

I have no idea  ;D

sheila99

They use the same type of progestin so you should be OK on provera. Presumably the bone loss is due to whatever else is added to the injection.

Meno44

Ok, thanks for the info