Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Mirena progesterone in uterus only ?  (Read 3653 times)

Nas

Re: Mirena progesterone in uterus only ?
« Reply #60 on: June 26, 2022, 03:22:01 PM »

Hi sas,
Im glad you are feeling better, i expect you are feeling relieved!

6% is a low figure and one which the nurse quoted last week too.

I don’t know what to think in truth. It’s been in 4 weeks now and I’ve been very up and down, just like having PMS. But again, that could be low Oestrogen ( maybe). I know when I was on femeston Conti, towards the end, I felt wretched and irritable.

Grrhh..it’s so hard !

sas67

• First Flush
« Reply #61 on: June 26, 2022, 03:50:22 PM »

Hi Nas
Ah that's interesting about femeston Conti, that also contains a progestin similar to what is in the Mirena and might have been responsible for your low mood.

I was moved quite quickly up the oestrogen patch strength from 50mcg which had no great effect to 75mcg after a month which is quick, but it is what the Chelsea and Westminster Menopause clinic recommended for me.  They have been a leading light in the UK for PMS and menopause and their recommendation is that people who have suffered from anxiety and depressive symptoms/hormonal depression should be on a reasonably high dose of oestrogen.  I'll attach their recommendations for prescribing HRT for GPs and you can see their recommendations for anxiety and depression in the 'troubleshooting' section.

https://www.chelwest.nhs.uk/professionals/gp-advice-and-troubleshooting-guide-for-hrt-in-primary-care

I still felt bad on 75 and so my GP did a blood test and saw that my oestrogen levels were still at the bottom end so suggested I experiment with adding one pump of oestrogel, equivalent to another 25mcg of an evorel patch (which I also happened to have when patches were out of stock everywhere) and see if I felt better.  I felt better, if not amazing, the next day and have continued to be on it ever since.  The C&W also recommended utrogestan vaginally which worked fine with me, but recommending the Mirena as another good option.  I should have just stuck with what worked and not gone down the Mirena route though it would have been a lot more convenient than having to have Utrogestan every night.
Perhaps ask your gp to do a blood test to check oestrogen levels, plus bloods including thyroid and also testosterone.  If your oestrogen is low there is no reason why you can't boost it.  I have just started to testosterone to the mix as it was low and it is also supposed to help mood, motivation and generally the regaining of one's mojo!
let me know how you get on!

Good luck!

Nas

« Reply #62 on: June 26, 2022, 04:03:49 PM »

Hi sas, that’s interesting to read.
So, do you use a 75 patch plus one pump of oestrogel each day? If you felt bad on 75, but great on 75+ one pump, does that suggest you aren’t absorbing the patch??

I could try this regime to see how it feels I guess?

I tolerated the progesterone in femeston well, but the Oestrogen was way too low. I had gone from 75 patch to 1mg and my bladder went awol.

I like the convenience of the Mirena, so will try to get the  Oestrogen right I think, as lots of these symptoms, particularly hyper sensitivity  to noise and smell, pinpoint to possible low Oestrogen ( maybe!)

I’ve also got testosterone but reluctant to add a third hormone while things are so volatile at the moment.

Keep me posted.. I’m going to slap on a pump now, as I think I do better on a slow release of hormones, rather than a sudden rush!

Xx
« Last Edit: June 26, 2022, 04:05:39 PM by Nas »

sas67

• First Flush
« Reply #63 on: June 26, 2022, 05:36:43 PM »

Hi Nas
After I did well on a 75mcg patch and one pump which was the equivalent of 100mcg oestrogen daily, the gp gave me 100mcg patches which is what I'm using at the moment (no pumps) and that works just as well. 
If I were you I would experiment with an extra pump and see how you feel, but do it every day so that it is constant.  The fluctuations in hormones and falling oestrogen levels are what cause pms symptoms so I think I'd just keep doing that every day for the next month or so and it might make you feel better and you might find that the Mirena is fine for you.
When I upped my oestrogen dose to 100, it literally made a huge difference the next day.  I was sure I saw it in my skin and was able to sing reasonably passably again (my voice had got less clear), not to mention feeling happy and optimistic.  This was before the Mirena came along and upset everything.  But maybe this was just me and you'll find it makes all the difference to you.  If you tell your GP what you are doing and request a blood test then you can see where you're oestrogen levels are at and whether you're doing the right thing for you.
I think it is wise to wait until things are settled before starting the testosterone, I only started yesterday and am going to go very slowly.
good luck with the extra oestrogen, let us know how it goes!
x

Nas

« Reply #64 on: June 26, 2022, 05:55:47 PM »

Thanks sas,
You’ve really given me hope today 🙂

Im going to do what you suggest and keep a diary.
I think I’m low in oestrogen personally,  as I know these symptoms were surfacing before the mirena. Plus I’ve been on 75 for 2 years now, so maybe I do need an increase. I was of the mindset that I must stay at 75, come what may, but maybe I don’t.

Okay, thanks again, I appreciate your input.

Keep in touch x

Nas

« Reply #65 on: June 26, 2022, 06:01:20 PM »

I was just thinking sas, the logical thing to have done would have been to got the oestrogen optimised first, then get the coil fitted. Then I would have had more of an idea what is causing the issue.

Oh well, onwards and upwards I guess ! Xx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]