Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Grey Hair  (Read 2625 times)

Lynda07

Grey Hair
« on: June 24, 2022, 01:45:13 PM »

Hello ladies

I went naturally grey a few years ago. I don't regret it but - my hair is thick and coarse and prone to frizziness. I feel this ages me more than my grey. I wondered if there was anything I could put on my hair to give it a grey colour boost? Add more shine, that kind of thing? I'm talking more of a colour than a treatment, I do use shampoo for grey hair.
Many thanks

Lynda

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Grey Hair
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2022, 05:21:04 PM »

A very good cut is important.  I have found that my hair doesn't repair as often, so in places it looks thinner.  I had mine cut this morning by a different stylist as I think it does the scalp good  ;)

I have used Australian shampoo for while to encourage lift.  I rarely condition.  I dry with a soft rub with a towel then 'natural'.  As for colour ......... I would go to a stylist for advice, a few hi-or lo-lights might work although you don't need to make an appt..  It will grow out by which time U will know if you like 'the look'.  However, I can tell from a mile away women that have coloured for many years.  Frizzy or looking uncontrollable.   ::)

You could buy an over the counter colour although when I did it, the bathroom looked as if murder had been committed  ;D.  What colour do you fancy?

Lynda07

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2022, 07:15:14 PM »

Thank you CLKD.

I am one of those women who coloured their hair for years so may be paying the price now, goodness knows how many I’ve had. ;)

I don’t mind the grey but wish it looked classier, more platinum or maybe even with a hint of pink. I think you are right, I need to speak to a stylist. I’ve not managed to find a constant hairdresser since moving to Scotland 5 years ago and miss that as I was with my old hairdresser in Nottingham for years.

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2022, 07:20:23 PM »

Last year I bought some L’oreal Age Perfect colour care (Touch of Gold and also Touch of Beige) which is supposed to enhance grey hair. It left my hair lovely and soft and a really pretty subtle colour that washes out in 2 or 3 shampoos.  I used it several times when I felt I needed a lift and one tube does 2 applications and my hair is long. My days of permanent colours are well and truly over.  My hair is now silver and people tell me it really suits me. 

Lynda07

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2022, 09:04:42 PM »

Pennyfarthing, that sounds exactly what I am looking for, thank you.

star35

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2022, 07:15:17 AM »

I have never coloured my hair and was happy when it went grey. It is now quite white which I really like but no matter what I do I am left with it being frizzy especially with the hot weather when I sweat. I don't want to alter the colour I just need to find something to stop the frizz.

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2022, 08:00:34 AM »

I was thinking of this thread as I went to sleep  ::)

Some advise rinsing with white vinegar.  Don't use a hair dryer which will dry the follicles.  Soft brush .........

littleminnie

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2022, 11:44:26 AM »

Argan  oil on the ends of your hair definitely helps

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2022, 04:03:43 PM »

There's an article in 1 of the Sat papers which rung a bell, *if* I remember  ::)

Lynda07

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2022, 04:01:04 PM »

star35 it's the frizz that is getting to me, especially since I went shorter.

littleminnie thanks for that, I used to do that years back, had forgotten about it.

Ooh CLKD - did you remember? No worries if not.

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2022, 04:41:34 PM »

I have remembered but not when I was near the Sat papers  ;D

Lynda07

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2022, 05:10:39 PM »

Not to worry CLKD. Hope you have had a lovely weekend.

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2022, 05:43:38 PM »

So far it's been fine  :thankyou:

;D found it - The Guardian 'body' section.

A serum: JVN Complete Instant Recovery Serum : £24.00 a bottle.  Don't know how large the volume of the bottom might be as the article doesn't tell us!  "A tiny drop per hair wash applied to towel-dried lengths " : Salt Hughes also recommends L'Oreal Elvive Dream Lengths Wonder Water : £9.99 ....... "Apply in the shower to shampooed hair, wait 8 seconds and rinse out".

Good Luck!
« Last Edit: June 26, 2022, 06:20:39 PM by CLKD »

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2022, 01:29:21 PM »

for those with thinning hair ........

Cazikins

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2022, 06:22:10 PM »

I'm very lucky. I have ginger & blonde in the family & at 65 years of age I have a good head of hair. Dark ginger with a hint of grey at the temples....thanks Dad  :).
I have it long now, as once lockdown/COVID started I couldn't get to the hairdresser for hi lites etc. All I've had done recently is get a  good cut, shoulder length & it's still very thick & shiny.
Pages: [1] 2