Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Vaginal atrophy  (Read 887 times)

Ann c

Vaginal atrophy
« on: June 23, 2022, 03:31:33 PM »

Hi all I was diagnosed with AP about a year ago it took about six months to get it under control and was good for sometime just using Ovestin twice a week. Now it is back with a vengeance using Ovestin and Betamethasone Valerate, has anyone got any tips how to help with the burning and get it under control again, can you use the Ovestin externally?
Any help would be appreciated
Thanks Ann

Flossieteacake

Re: Vaginal atrophy
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2022, 04:18:39 PM »

I would use ovestin daily using the applicator to inside and also apply a little on the outer area. You can always mix a little with vaginal moisturiser as it is easier to apply on the outer area that way.

It is frustrating your symptoms are back but as they improved before, there is every chance they will improve again.  :)

joziel

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2022, 05:57:08 PM »

I use Vagifem 2x weekly internally and Ovestin externally every other day. On the days I don't use Ovestin, I use YES OB.

You can use Vagifem daily if you need to, and Ovestin too. You can even use Ovestin 2x daily if needed.

I'd highly recommend the YES OB (available on Amazon) too externally. You can mix it with the Ovestin or use it by itself as many times a day as you need to. YES also make one called YES VM which comes in pre-loaded applicators to use internally as well. (Or you can buy it in a large tube and your own applicators separately, which works out cheaper.)

Ann c

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2022, 06:52:22 PM »

Thank you for all your advice I will try anything to help with the symptoms, is this something that will keep coming back
Thank you for all your help
I really appreciate it
Ann

joziel

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2022, 07:09:55 PM »

You will always need to use something for it, because it's due to a lack of estrogen. If you start/are on systemic HRT, for some women that is enough estrogen and they don't need to apply anything locally. But 20% of women on systemic HRT also need local estrogen.

Once you figure out a routine that works for you and keep it going, it should not come back. But you can't just stop everything - because then you will have low estrogen again, which is the cause of this.

Ann c

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2022, 08:35:50 AM »

Thank you
I really appreciate your help
Ann

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2022, 08:38:19 AM »

It is usually a life-time condition once the oestrogen levels drop enough to cause problems.  The body becomes dry, inside and out.  Some require treatment every night.  U may like to experiment with a moistorisor for the labia too, 'sylc' or 'yes' products are useful.  I simply smear more 'ovestin' where needed ;-).

If I get the need2P I take 2 Nurofen tablets 3 times a day.