Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Vaginal oestrogen and irritation  (Read 866 times)

jessieblue

Vaginal oestrogen and irritation
« on: June 23, 2022, 09:29:12 AM »

Hi something just occurred to me after having 2 days of bowel discomfort and IBS type symptoms.  I started Bliss estriol gel 5 days ago and so far it has not caused vaginal irritation and inflammation like last time.  I am so pleased as I really need to be able to tolerate it for my UTIs.  I have started with a small dose high up in the vagina at bedtime.  No external irritation or bladder symptoms yet but I was wondering if this might be causing the feeling of needing to poo all the time and yesterday 4 trips to the toilet but not with loose poop.  Just small amounts that seemed to be causing irritation. 

I do have terrible bowel anxiety and piles and a rectocele, but it just occurred to me the oestrogen cream may have irritated the rectum a bit.  I am hoping this is the case and will settle down in time, as it would explain the weird bowel feelings and mild crampy feeling in my pelvic area.

Does anyone have any experience of something similar at all?

joziel

Re: Vaginal oestrogen and irritation
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2022, 12:06:44 PM »

I've not experienced that. It is such a tiny local dose of estrogen, especially in the Blissel gel which is even less estrogen than Vagifem or Ovestin, it's highly unlikely to do anything to your bowels.

Systemic estrogen (HRT) can for sure help give your bowels more motility and might lead to going more often. (Experienced that one myself - in a good way!)