Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Is it ok to use estriol cream externally to start with  (Read 5358 times)

Hopeful2

Is it ok to use estriol cream externally to start with
« on: June 23, 2022, 05:45:29 PM »

Is it ok to use estriol cream externally to start with.

GP said use it externally first and even around back passage as I'm red swollen all over down there.

Any advice please.

joziel

Re: Is it ok to use estriol cream externally to start with
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2022, 05:53:02 PM »

Yes for sure, you can apply it wherever you want to down there and as frequently as you want to (well, 2-3x daily at first if needed).

You might also want to get some YES OB moisturiser (on Amazon) as it's a great non-hormonal one to use in between the estriol doses and some women like to mix the estriol in with it.

You might prefer to use the Vagifem pessaries internally. They are just less messy - a tiny little tablet you insert and not much stuff comes out in your knickers or toilet, compared to putting a cream up there. I much prefer using Vagifem internally and then Ovestin or similar estrogen cream externally.

Hopeful2

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2022, 06:12:50 PM »

Thank you so much for your reply.

GP gave me vagirux pessaries, but then other GP gave me the estriol cream to try instead as I'm so sore. I haven't plucked up the courage to use either yet afraid it will make soreness worse. Have anxiety over soreness and trying oestrogen, so just using canestan til it settles so I can try one of these. I don't know if there is anyone you can talk to about this anxiety.

Flossieteacake

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2022, 06:19:40 PM »

I can understand you feeling anxious to try something when your skin is so sore. Just to let you know, ovestin is very mild and if you mix a little with a vaginal moisturiser it is even milder. You could try just a tiny bit and see how you feel. The thing about vaginal atrophy is, it needs oestrogen.

Canesten will be great for thrush but not the atrophy.

Hopeful2

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2022, 06:29:22 PM »

Thank you for your kind reply.

What type of moisturiser could I use with it?

Floradora

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2022, 06:33:20 PM »

I would try the Ovestin first if you are really sore as it will feel a bit more soothing to begin with. I also think while Ovestin is messier, it gets to work on me more quickly than the Vagifem tablet. If you are very dry and sore you will probably find relief very quickly once you start using these products. I personally use both Ovestin and Vagifem to keep the situation under control and it took a good while to start with. Another nice moisturiser to use externally is called Olive and Bee and I find it very soothing. The yes moisturiser is v good too as others have recommended. Soreness is just the pits but do just get going with the products and don’t put it off any longer. You will probably start to feel better very soon and it will be a great relief to you x

Hopeful2

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2022, 06:47:32 PM »

Thank you for your reply.

I tried HRT again and only took it for a couple of days but stopped because of side effects but still bleeding a month on just a tiny bit. Can atrophy soreness cause a little bleeding or would it be system just settling after the 2 days of hrt a month ago. Sorry for questions. Thank you.

joziel

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2022, 07:21:14 PM »

Hopeful, HRT will cause bleeding (usually) for the first 6 months - randomly perhaps. So taking it for 2 days really wasn't giving it much of a chance. You need to commit to taking it for at least 8-12 weeks before you know if it is working and even then there may be some bleeding for 6 months, even if you are post-menopausal. That is totally normal. If it doesn't settle down, it gets heavy or painful, then go back to the GP as you might need it adjusted. But 2 days really isn't enough time at all, by anyone's standards. You might also get other side effects, which again typically settle. Hormones can cause all kinds of issues when you change or start them but time is all that is needed for things to settle. Usually.

If atrophy is really bad, it could cause some spotting but usually in response to friction (sex, putting something up there etc) - not just by itself, I wouldn't think.

Use the Vagirux pessaries (should be a loading dose of every day for the first 2 weeks) and the estriol cream outside, mixed in with some YES OB or Olive and Bee. If you do get some stinging when you put the cream on, you should know that it is only stinging because you have microscopic cuts down there due to dryness. It's the same as if you had a cut on your hand and you put some antiseptic cream on it - it would sting. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't put the cream on, or it won't get better. Same goes with the estriol cream. It MAY sting a little at first, but don't feel that is a 'bad' sting - it means it is helping/working and needed! You can reduce the chance of it stinging if you mix it with YES OB or Olive and Bee, so you use less of the estriol at first and more of the moisturiser and then gradually increase the estriol...

I wouldn't suggest using Canesten unless you actually have thrush, because it's known to make dryness worse...

Flossieteacake

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2022, 07:35:58 PM »

Thank you for your reply.

I tried HRT again and only took it for a couple of days but stopped because of side effects but still bleeding a month on just a tiny bit. Can atrophy soreness cause a little bleeding or would it be system just settling after the 2 days of hrt a month ago. Sorry for questions. Thank you.

Please do not apologise for asking questions. That is what the forum is for. I like Yes VM and buy it from Amazon.

I think when skin is raw it can bleed due to it being easily scratched.

Hopeful2

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2022, 07:50:27 PM »

Thank you all for your replies. I joined this forum a few months ago. Never joined a forum before been too anxious. So glad I did. So many lovely ladies on here 😊

Flossieteacake

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2022, 07:59:51 PM »

Thank you all for your replies. I joined this forum a few months ago. Never joined a forum before been too anxious. So glad I did. So many lovely ladies on here 😊

Aww, that is lovely. I have found this forum so supportive too.  :)