Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: HRT and Tinnitus  (Read 1765 times)

discogirl

HRT and Tinnitus
« on: June 22, 2022, 08:24:34 AM »

Hi all,

I'm wondering if any ladies who've been on HRT have noticed either an increase or decrease in their hearing, or if anyone has developed tinnitus whilst being on HRT.

There's some research to indicate that HRT can either lessen or worsen tinnitus or affect hearing.

Poppy61

Re: HRT and Tinnitus
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2022, 07:46:10 PM »

Hello discogirl Mine has changed in tone and is deeper sounding, but getting used to it. I'd rather put up with this and be able to get up from the sofa and to walk up the stairs without feeling 90 years old! x

Poppy61

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2022, 07:47:14 PM »

No change in my hearing
 That I am aware of, just the tinnitus change

loulou2

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2022, 06:01:40 AM »

Hi Ladies...

This is my first post.....yes regarding tinnitus, I started HRT gel and progesterone just under 3 months ago and have noticed that about 4 weeks ago my left ear was muffled and also a ringing.  I am seeing my dr next week so will ask her to see if its wax build-up, or find out if it could be something to do with the HRT.    I am 64 years old, had a late menopause at 57 and suffered bad hot flushes (usually around 50 a day) since having the menopause!

Songbird

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2022, 07:26:54 AM »

Hi disco girl
Yep. I started HRT over 3 months ago and, pretty soon afterwards, I started experiencing low level ringing in the ears. I had a bit of a panic as my husband has constant severe/loud tinnitus (which has affected his mental health) but, for me, as long as it remains at this low level, I’ll take it if my other meno symptoms are controlled  ::)

discogirl

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2022, 08:12:57 AM »

Hi Songbird,

That's very interesting and there's also some interesting research done on the same subject.

Thankfully though, the Menopause, HRT etc are all being spoken about so much more now.

This website has been a lifeline for me xx

Katejo

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2022, 02:11:03 AM »

Hi Ladies...

This is my first post.....yes regarding tinnitus, I started HRT gel and progesterone just under 3 months ago and have noticed that about 4 weeks ago my left ear was muffled and also a ringing.  I am seeing my dr next week so will ask her to see if its wax build-up, or find out if it could be something to do with the HRT.    I am 64 years old, had a late menopause at 57 and suffered bad hot flushes (usually around 50 a day) since having the menopause!
  Interesting. I have  had several episodes of ear infection with tinnitus in the past couple of years but haven't connected it with HRT at all. See my separate query about it in the other health issues section.