Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Vagifem and acne?  (Read 2189 times)

awake and nervous

Vagifem and acne?
« on: May 23, 2022, 11:10:27 AM »

Hi
I was prescribed Vagifem pessaries in March and have been using them as advised in the accompanying leaflet and by my GP, i.e. one tablet a day for two weeks, then one tablet twice a week (every 3-4 days).
I'm now on the maintenance dose of one tablet twice a week. And so far so good - I'm no longer trotting to the loo several times a night and everything below is more moist and plump  :)
However...
Around 10-12 days after starting Vagifem, the skin on my face started to break out. It's a bit like acne - tiny pus filled spots - but mostly on my temples and cheeks. Even though I'm now on the maintenance dose, I just can't shift the spots.
Acne is not mentioned in the leaflet as one of the possible side effects, but I can't think of anything else that might be causing it. Particularly as the breakout began just after starting on Vagifem.
Has anyone else experienced this?
Never thought I'd be spotty at sixty 
:'(  ::)  ;D

PS. I'm 60 and have been on systemic HRT for 8 years (for hot flushes and night sweats). I've been reducing the dosage over the past couple of years and am currently on half the lowest dose (so half a 1mg tablet a day) of Kliovance with a view to ceasing entirely by the end of this year

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Vagifem and acne?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2022, 11:13:21 AM »

Why end HRT if it's working  :-\ ?

:welcomemm:  a low maintenance dose might keep you ticking over, there is no need to stop. If you find vaginal symptoms niggle up the Vagifem immediately; some ladies require it nightly.  Glad that you are finding your way through the basic symptoms with success!

As for acne - it shouldn't be due to the vagifem, it may be the lack of the HRT as you use less and less. 

awake and nervous

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2022, 01:45:46 PM »

Why end HRT if it's working  :-\ ?

:welcomemm:  a low maintenance dose might keep you ticking over, there is no need to stop. If you find vaginal symptoms niggle up the Vagifem immediately; some ladies require it nightly.  Glad that you are finding your way through the basic symptoms with success!

As for acne - it shouldn't be due to the vagifem, it may be the lack of the HRT as you use less and less.

Of course, I'd prefer not to end the Kliovance systemic HRT as I do still get a handful of 'hot moments' each day; but I've been 'encouraged' to do so by GP as I've been on it for over 8 years.
I'm not sure if reducing the HRT has caused the acne breakout as I've been on this 'half' low dose now for at least 6 months now. But it's a thought... As an experiment, I may up my dose a bit again, just to see what happens.
Meantime, at least the Vagifem is working well, and doing what it's meant to do  :)
Thanks for your feedback.

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2022, 04:06:33 PM »

Hi awake and nervous.

Are you sure that this is acne? Do your spots leave scars for instance. You can get tiny spots called Milia so I wonder if it could be that? https://patient.info/skin-conditions/milia-leaflet. I am spotty at 68 having developed severe papular pustula rosacea so I know how strange you feel about having teenage problems at 60!

As for coming off hrt. NICE guidelines are now that women can stay on it for life if they want. You would benefit from changing to a transdermal type though as pill form HRT after 60 has a risk of stroke. I've been on patch hrt for fifteen years and woebetide anyone who tries to take me off it  ;D

Taz x  :welcomemm:

awake and nervous

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2022, 01:22:39 PM »

Hi Taz!

I'm pretty sure it is acne as I'm left with red marks once the spots have gone. The marks usually fade - eventually. It's not milia, but there is a family history of rosacea - my Dad suffered from facial redness and my older sister developed acne rosacea 6-7 years ago. So I guess it could be the start of that  :(

But I'm now wondering (hoping!) if the acne could be caused by laundry detergent (which can happen, I believe) as I changed my detergent around the same time I started on Vagifem. Might just be coincidence of course, but it could explain why I have more spots on the side of my face that I habitually sleep on, and why they only appear on the side of my cheeks and temples. Anyway, I'm going to rewash all my pillowcases in my old detergent asap and see if that makes any difference. Wish me luck!

If my hot flushes reappear with a vengeance as I reduce HRT, I will certainly ask my GP about patches. Thanks for the tip  :)

xx

Hi awake and nervous.

Are you sure that this is acne? Do your spots leave scars for instance. You can get tiny spots called Milia so I wonder if it could be that? https://patient.info/skin-conditions/milia-leaflet. I am spotty at 68 having developed severe papular pustula rosacea so I know how strange you feel about having teenage problems at 60!

As for coming off hrt. NICE guidelines are now that women can stay on it for life if they want. You would benefit from changing to a transdermal type though as pill form HRT after 60 has a risk of stroke. I've been on patch hrt for fifteen years and woebetide anyone who tries to take me off it  ;D

Taz x  :welcomemm:

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2022, 02:01:00 PM »

If the washing machine has a good rinse cycle, there should't be any residue to cause allergic reactions/spots.  I stopped using comfort-type products as if the smell remains, then my machine ain't doing a proper job  ;)

Is the acne typical, i.e. does it follow the greasy areas down the nose, chin or fore head?

awake and nervous

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2022, 10:50:30 AM »

If the washing machine has a good rinse cycle, there should't be any residue to cause allergic reactions/spots.  I stopped using comfort-type products as if the smell remains, then my machine ain't doing a proper job  ;)

Is the acne typical, i.e. does it follow the greasy areas down the nose, chin or fore head?

Hi

And sorry for tardy response - have been away a lot of late  :)

Well, turns out it’s not the laundry detergent. Have gone back to Fairy Non-Bio powder and no improvement. I never use fabric conditioner or other laundry products. Just the detergent.

My spots are not really acne typical as they appear at my temples and down the sides of my face. So not forehead, nose and chin. It’s not my hair products as I haven’t changed those. You can see I’ve been racking my brains to try and find a logical explanation!

Think I’ll have to go to GP - it’s been 11 weeks now, and while my skin is no worse, it’s no better either  :(
Will probably be given antibiotics, but will ask if it might be hormonal, or gastric.

Thanks for replying.