Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Testosterone test  (Read 1710 times)

Sassypurple

Testosterone test
« on: June 21, 2022, 07:13:57 AM »

Hi
I had a blood test to check testosterone and the result was 0.4. when I rang for the result the doctor had said no action as it is within normal levels.
I had been feeling so tired and could sleep anytime so in the afternoon I can barely work as I am so tired.i have brain fog and can't think clearly and thought I would see if the Dr would prescribe testosterone.

Does anyone know if 0.4 is normal?
Thanks

ATB

Re: Testosterone test
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2022, 07:22:03 AM »

-
« Last Edit: June 23, 2022, 09:01:34 AM by ATB »

Marchlove

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2022, 07:56:26 AM »

Another thing Sassypurple, is most doctors will only prescribe it for lack of libido, so you must push this as a symptom, as they refuse to recognise the other benefits of testosterone.

Good luck x

Sassypurple

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2022, 10:49:01 AM »

I'm not even sure as the doctor didn't phone she just put on a note on my record saying no action.

I did push the low libido when I spoke to her last which is why she did the test but maybe I am just going to have to make another appointment and push for it again.  Maybe I should ask for more information on the results as well then as they didn't give me any other information. It is so frustrating I feel like I am constantly having to make doctor's appointments. Surely it would be better for them to get it all done at once! 

I'm so glad it makes a difference with you and hope I eventually manage to persuade them as I feel I am missing something. I just want to get back to being able to do stuff again and not losing my words constantly and falling asleep  :)

Marchlove

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2022, 03:47:13 PM »

There are lots of recent testosterone threads Sassypurple, so do a search.

Print out the BMS guidelines for prescribing of testosterone for low libido and give them to your GP.

Good luck x

Dandelion

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2022, 09:27:39 PM »

Sorry for the hijack.

I keep hearing test testerone mentioned on here.

This sounds ignorant, why do women need it? What symptoms indicate that testosterone levels are lower in women?
Thanks.

Suzy blue

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2022, 08:43:06 AM »

Testosterone is linked to your sex drive but a lot of people believe it also helps with muscle strength and bone health. Unfortunately it's only prescribed for sex drive so as the previous person said you have to push that side of it. It's only licensed for men in the UK but if you go on the nhs website and look at osteoporosis in men it's actually prescribed for bone health as well. I guess more research is needed I think Australia has been doing a lot of research on it.

Dandelion

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2022, 10:59:22 AM »

No one mentioned testosterone to me, we don't have meno clinic.
Could it be why I get brown discharge.
I don't fancy toying with male hormones, tbh, I regret doing HRT as well.

Dandelion

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2022, 05:40:59 PM »

I understand your hesitancy. Testosterone isn’t a male hormone, women naturally make it and it lowers during menopause like the other sex hormones do. Adding testosterone had a big effect on me and made a big positive difference.
I’m not sure about the discharge issue Dandelion, maybe start a thread as there might be others who could help.
Hi and thanks for your reply.
What differences did testosterone make to you, if you don't mind me asking.
Thanks

laszla

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2022, 07:54:29 PM »

Testosterone is not a male hormone - women produce three times as much testosterone as oestrogen before menopause. As women on HRT supplement the other two sex hormones, it seems logical that they would also add testosterone.

Dandelion

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2022, 09:18:32 PM »

Testosterone is not a male hormone - women produce three times as much testosterone as oestrogen before menopause. As women on HRT supplement the other two sex hormones, it seems logical that they would also add testosterone.
Why don't they?
Estrogen and progesterone never fully got rid of my anxiety, just the physical symptoms of meno?

laszla

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2022, 02:35:52 PM »

Why don't they?
Estrogen and progesterone never fully got rid of my anxiety, just the physical symptoms of meno?
It's highly likely that testosterone supplementation isn't routinely offered for cultural reasons - ie. as it's considered largely responsible for libido and who cares about that for women...
In fact it also plays a role in many other physiological processes in women such as bone density, cognition and mood (the usual suspects that are of course also adversely affected by low estrogen).
So it makes no biological, medical or generally rational sense not to supplement testosterone if depleted

VanillaLover

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2022, 02:54:02 PM »

Why do you regret HRT, Dandelion? Just out of interest.

Dandelion

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2022, 06:33:38 PM »

Why do you regret HRT, Dandelion? Just out of interest.
Because I did not do my research on how it affects women with benzodiazepine dependency, it makes them addicted to progesterone, and some have a real hard job getting off it.
The oestrogen did really help my flushes though.

violetbat

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2022, 07:19:51 PM »

I had bloods to check hormone levels a couple of weeks ago. Had the chat with a gp today.
I have recently changed to a patch as Lenzetto was a disaster for me.
I had been using gel and utrogestan for nearly 4 years- then the gel ran out.
Gp said my oestrogen was 400 which she said was above the normal but still ok- so patches are working. She then said my testosterone was ok, I can’t remember the figure.
She was trying to discourage me from trying some, said it wouldn’t make any difference and wasn’t the panacea that women hoped it would be.
She was also surprised I had had the hormone test done in the first place but admitted she didn’t know how to read the results and would consult online!
I asked her to prescribe it anyway as I want to try for myself.
Although the patch is making me feel better I am still shockingly tired with no libido and my head is fuzzy.
Despite the patch I still get one night sweat every night and my sleep is shit.
Pages: [1] 2