Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Does HRT help with weight loss?  (Read 898 times)

Mummytron

Does HRT help with weight loss?
« on: June 20, 2022, 09:03:59 PM »

I have been struggling to lose weight, no matter what I do it just won't come off and I've put on 2 stone in menopause.
Does HRT help with weight loss? I don't mean on its own but with the efforts I'm making as in exercise and good diet.

ATB

Re: Does HRT help with weight loss?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2022, 06:27:08 AM »

Indirectly it can. It’s hard to lose any weight when your hormones are not balanced and in the right place.

VanillaLover

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2022, 08:28:03 AM »

I agree with ATB. It’s natural to put on weight in menopause, and harder to get it off. I found it impossible when my symptoms were very bad to even think about weight loss. Some days of the month I had real problems controlling blood sugar and I couldnt even try to control food intake. Now things are a little more in control I am cutting carbs, healthy snacks, no snacking after dinner (6pm) etc. I am maintaining or losing very very slowly now. It s so strange. Some days I am so bloated….then the next days it’s gone and I am two pounds lighter. All for no reason (that I can see).

Are you still putting weight on do you think? I would aim for maintaining first and then when that’s sorted think about cutting further. Anything you do has to be sustainable though….I thought about some rules I could keep to …forever …1) no eating after dinner 2) no carbs with lunch (when at work which is three days a week, I just have the protein and salad) and 3) two sweets or puddings per week. I also switched from porridge breakfast to yoghurt and fruit which is just as filling strangely.

It’s rubbish isn’t it.

Tora

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2022, 09:09:29 AM »

I agree with previous posters. I wasn’t in the right mindset to look at diet pre HRT.
Losing weight has been hard in peri. Being a stone heavier, fighting to fit into clothes was adding to the stress of hormone hell. I had to set rules too, rules to set myself up to win not unrealistic hurdles.
I’m 1lb off target, needed a refresher course on nutrition values and made lifestyle changes that were only possible, for me, when hormones stabilised.