Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Post Meno HRT  (Read 894 times)

bellisimo

• First Flush
Post Meno HRT
« on: June 19, 2022, 09:38:02 AM »

Hi there,

I'm posting for the first time so hope I'm using the right etiquette.

I started using HRT patches last October after experiencing severe hot flashes. Aside from the flashes I felt pretty much ok in myself if a little flat. I was one year without a proper period at the time.

After 4 months of heavy bleeding I changed to continuous Utrogestan at night and 2 x pumps of Oestrogel and have been on this for around 5 months. I do not feel good at all.   I have terrible mood swings, I feel more or less constantly down and have no joy in anything.  I feel anxious and paranoid and recently took 4 days off from work because I could not stop crying.  I have not taken time off in many years.

I have an appointment with a private gynaecologist in a couple of weeks to see if they can help.   I should mention that when I had periods I suffered badly with emotional symptoms during PMS for many years.  I think this may have something to do with it too.

I wanted to know if anyone else has experienced anything similar.  I'm finding it hard to know if what I'm feeling is me or the HRT.

I'd be really grateful for any advice. I'm almost 47.

x

bellisimo

• First Flush
Re: Post Meno HRT
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2022, 09:42:42 AM »

I should also mention I upped the eostrogel on doctors advice to 3 pumps for a few weeks and this made me feel worse.   I'm now back down to 2 as of 3 weeks ago and have just started bleeding heavily for the first time since changing from patches. 

VanillaLover

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2022, 03:19:51 PM »

I think if I were you I might try without any HRT for a few months and see how you feel. Maybe the oestrogen levels are too high for your natural level. How were the hot  flushes without HRT? Were they more manageable compared to the mood etc problems on HRT?

kdee69

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2022, 06:48:44 AM »

Is it worth reducing to one pump and seeing how you feel? i re started oestrogel two pumps after a year off and my anxiety went through the roof. I reduced to one pump and feel a lot better

bellisimo

• First Flush
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2022, 06:21:08 PM »

Thank you for your replies.

The flashes were every hour before HRT and I would visibly sweat. My mood was ok if a little flat and I had some joint stiffness.

I went back to work today after annual leave and managed only 2 hrs. Really weepy and struggling to focus, I'm really not liking my job at the moment but don't know if that is also the way I'm feeling.  The doctor has signed me off until my gynae appointment. 

I'm debating whether to wait the week out or come off altogether until appointment.

The issue is not knowing if its progesterone or Oestrogen. Did  you also feel really down?

Thanks for your help. It's great to know I can come to this forum for advice.  I hope to feel better soon. x