Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: No HRT automatically means heart disease, osteoporosis & dementia  (Read 5549 times)

Aprilflower

Re: No HRT automatically means heart disease, osteoporosis & dementia
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2022, 10:27:21 AM »

It is certainly not inevitable that all who don’t take HRT will end up with these diseases, I don’t think I have seen anyone on here implying such. However, I think it is all about assessing one’s own risk factors for these known diseases and choosing how to best mitigate those health risks be it by modifying lifestyle factors or using prescription medications including HRT. Osteoporosis is one disease where the enormous wealth of scientific research shows that by far the biggest risk factor is loss of estrogen. No amount of calcium supplements, weight bearing exercise etc has anything like the beneficial effect on bones as estrogen. I have many of the risk factors for osteoporosis. Some, like family history, I can do nothing about. Replacement of estrogen is something I can do something about so I choose to do so. I have no intention of suffering the crippling pain and debilitating effects of crumbling bones that my female elderly relatives had. I see taking HRT to reduce my risk of developing serious disease as just another tool in my arsenal of tricks to keep myself as healthy and active as possible as I age. In the same way that I don’t smoke, rarely drink and keep to my target weight. So no, of course not everyone will end up with these diseases, but there is now sound scientific evidence showing that estrogen replacement reduces the risk of developing many of them therefore I choose to reduce that risk x

I like your post.  Agree it's all about about informed personal choice.

KarineT

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2022, 01:14:55 PM »

It"s not a strange post at all.  I am not attacking the forum at all and I am not going to name names.  All I want to say is that those who are not on HRT should not be made to feel that they are more at risk of getting dementia, heart disease or osteoporosis. I agree that this forum is about the menopause but it's also about  HRT as there's a lot of discussion about it on here.  Obviously, most of you don't agree with what I"ve posted and therefore think that I'm attacking the forum simply because I've have an opinion about HRT.

joziel

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2022, 01:19:12 PM »

"those who are not on HRT should not be made to feel that they are more at risk of getting dementia, heart disease or osteoporosis. "

Why?

They are more at risk.

That is a fact.

I'm sorry you don't like those facts. I don't like a lot of stuff happening in the world today, but I don't deny it just because I don't like it.

Aprilflower

« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2022, 01:27:50 PM »

I think the ethos of the forum is we give advice based on our personal experience.  We are not medically trained.

I also think it's wrong to frighten women not on HRT, especially those who can't take it.  It's perfectly fine for women to decide they don't wish or need to take it.

KarineT

« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2022, 01:30:15 PM »

So what would advise to those who cannot take HRT?  What are they going to do?

Aprilflower

« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2022, 01:30:44 PM »

Exactly.

ATB

« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2022, 01:34:08 PM »

Yeah you absolutely are attacking the forum, it’s a strange, unnecessary post that bears no resemblance to the conversations happening on the forum. It’s disrespectful to come here and post this at other members. Facts are indeed facts and especially for osteoporosis, the facts are that you are more at risk the more your estrogen levels drop. It’s science. People are not disagreeing with your opinion, but the claims you’ve made about the forum that are there in black and white.

It’s absolutely agreed here by everyone I’ve ever seen post that it’s entirely your choice what way you go with HRT. Stating a verifiable fact, as per our own NHS, isn’t meant to frighten. It’s being informed of the risk and the facts. If you post something that’s misinformation, I think you should expect people to share the correct information, for others benefit. Women not on HRT are supported here every day, don’t forget some women can’t tolerate it too. They are also supported here.

ATB

« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2022, 01:37:22 PM »

I suggest you spend time looking through the forum, there are many posts and threads by women who can’t tolerate HRT, there is also lots of advice about other things we can do to help ourselves- I myself have talked lots about the other things I do to support myself through this. Every day these conversations happen here.

Taz2

« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2022, 01:38:41 PM »

Maybe it's all in the wording. I wonder whether what you actually mean, Karine, is that those who are in possession of all of the facts about HRT but decide not to take it shouldn't be made to feel that by rejecting HRT they have reached the wrong decision rather than saying 'those who are not on HRT should not be made to feel that they are more at risk of getting dementia,  heart disease or osteoporosis' ?

This forum is invaluable for providing info on the various remedies to help women through menopause and it is important that both risks and benefits are talked about. As Aprilflower says it is personal choice.

Taz  :)

Tora

« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2022, 01:56:21 PM »

Breast Cancer Survivors are having to fight for info globally to help them weigh up risk/benefit of all treatments that they may be able to take, then present data to their consultant’s. Whilst feeling horrific. It’s a laboriously slow and expensive route but two friends are doing this in order to be able to walk up their stairs.

Much, much more research is needed so that women can make informed, highly personal choices easily.

Marchlove

« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2022, 03:29:21 PM »

Hi Tora

Are your two friends aware that testosterone implants are given to women in the States.

https://ascopubs.org/doi/abs/10.1200/jco.2014.32.26_suppl.109

Rebecca Glaser has loads of articles and information on her website plus lots if you just Google.

How horrific for them both. x

Aprilflower

« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2022, 04:02:28 PM »

https://twitter.com/dr_musgrave/status/1538873575104462852?t=En1nDxYv2i7-rexjNb9F9g&s=19

Well this was a coincidence.  Just read the above on Twitter.  This is a doctor and GP.

ATB

« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2022, 04:04:02 PM »

What a stupid tweet. There is NO MASS MEDICALISATION! Very few women are on hormone *replacement*. I’m glad that’s not my doctor, not even aware of NICE guidelines they should be following. Dear oh dear.

Tora

« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2022, 04:05:55 PM »

Hi Marchlove.

Thanks for the link. They are both aware and have discussed Dr Glaser’s research with their consultants. One friend has been agreed testosterone treatment with A.I in London. It has been a long fight.
The other is more likely to be able to take low dose standard HRT but doesn’t have it yet.
I hope it improves their quality of life as both are at rock bottom.

Marchlove

« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2022, 05:40:58 PM »

Oh Tora, I’m so pleased to hear that for them both.

It’s such a shame they’ve had to fight for this though.

It might help others if you do a new thread about Breast Cancer Survivors and what your friends have been able to eventually sort for themselves.

I do hope all goes well for them xx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5