Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Disappointed with HRT  (Read 767 times)

Katherine

Disappointed with HRT
« on: June 19, 2022, 05:14:35 PM »

Hi all, it’s been a while since I’ve been on here as I’ve been giving the HRT a chance to work fully, I started in February and while some symptoms have improved, many haven’t. I’m taking 2-3 pumps of estrogel per day and continuous utrogestan. Luckily the utrogestan is making me sleep much better but I still have fatigue, hot flushes and no sex drive. Also since being on HRT it’s like I can’t fully relax anymore, maybe this is a sign of higher blood pressure? I still get pmt like I used to as I still have regular periods. I’ve heard so many people say they feel great on HRT. I’m not even in full menopause yet so does it get even worse than this? I do have positive days but today is not one of them ! Wishing everyone well x

ATB

Re: Disappointed with HRT
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2022, 05:47:11 PM »

Is it 2 or 3 pumps? What did you start on and how long did you wait before increasing? Maybe you’re not on the right dosage, that’s what I would assume, or the right method. Do you have a review coming up so you can discuss with your doctor?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2022, 05:51:46 PM »

Some find that keeping a mood/food/symptom diary of use.

You won't know if your blood pressure is higher unless you take regular readings.  Do U have a home monitor.  The advice is to take 3 readings with a few moments gap between each.  DH would take his measurements B4 breakfast at the same time. 

U haven't been on HRT for 'that' long and it will depend on where your hormones were as to how long it will take to feel 'better'. 

Fatigue can be caused by thyroid function problems or low VitD levels. 

Agitation may B due to the need for a hike in the way your HRT is delivered.  Is it via the GP or a Menopause Clinic?

sheila99

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2022, 06:09:00 PM »

If you're not menopausal (1 year without a bleed) you should be on a sequi regime so 200mg utro for 12 days, days 15-26 where day 1 is the first day of your bleed. Fatigue is a common side effect of utro so this way you will know if it's what's causing yours. If you still have flushes you might try a higher dose. My insomnia was due to oestrogen deficiency, it took 3 months to go. For some libido returns with sufficient oestrogen, others need testosterone.

Katherine

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2022, 06:24:25 PM »

I started on 2 pumps which I’ve increased to 3 about a week ago. I don’t have a gp review coming up but I think I need to go back and discuss this.

I will get my blood pressure checked and also my ferritin levels which were low at my last test. I take iron and vit d every day. No thyroid issues were flagged at my last blood test 4 years ago.

My gp prescribed the HRT, she said I could adjust my estrogel dose daily depending on how I felt and also I was advised to take utrogestan every single day for my sleep issues.

I will have to go back to my gp and sort this out. Thanks so much for your replies, it means so much on a bad day xxx