Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Provera - day 4 and I feel miserable and flat  (Read 4367 times)

joziel

Re: Provera - day 4 and I feel miserable and flat
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2022, 03:46:06 PM »

Oh, that's interesting. There was a study (small-scale) where they used double the POP dose of desogestrel daily for HRT purposes and it was fine in terms of keeping the uterine lining thin. I don't know about less than that.

I'm on desogestrel POP (usual dose) at the moment, for endo purposes - as well as utrogestan 100mg. But I'm supposed to be trying to stop the POP and switch to 200mg of utrogestan each night instead. Except I'm just a bit exhausted from all this so I'm enjoying a few weeks of stability at the moment and not wanting to change anything  ;D

Got a double appointment this Friday with a new menopause aware GP (doing BMS training) and will see what she says about it all. I have a hunch I'll be told just to stay as I am if it's working and I might do that and focus on increasing the estrogen for now rather than adjusting progesterone. 

Flossieteacake

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2022, 04:34:00 PM »

Oh, that's interesting. There was a study (small-scale) where they used double the POP dose of desogestrel daily for HRT purposes and it was fine in terms of keeping the uterine lining thin. I don't know about less than that.

I'm on desogestrel POP (usual dose) at the moment, for endo purposes - as well as utrogestan 100mg. But I'm supposed to be trying to stop the POP and switch to 200mg of utrogestan each night instead. Except I'm just a bit exhausted from all this so I'm enjoying a few weeks of stability at the moment and not wanting to change anything  ;D

Got a double appointment this Friday with a new menopause aware GP (doing BMS training) and will see what she says about it all. I have a hunch I'll be told just to stay as I am if it's working and I might do that and focus on increasing the estrogen for now rather than adjusting progesterone.

I am only doing it on alternative days to see if my body can tolerate it. The double dose is still needed daily.

I can imagine how the change of your medication is going to be stressfull. I hope your appointment goes well.

joziel

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2022, 02:35:30 PM »

Thanks Flossie. Let us know how the desogestrel goes for you.

Flossieteacake

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2022, 03:49:50 PM »

Sadly I cannot tolerate it. I have been crying and sad all day and wanting to die. It is such a shame. Thank you for asking after me.

joziel

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2022, 03:53:53 PM »

Oh no  :(  I'm sorry. What are you going to try now?

Flossieteacake

« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2022, 04:41:16 PM »

Oh no  :(  I'm sorry. What are you going to try now?

Thank you. My next meno appointment is in September so I will have to wait and see what they say.

joziel

« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2022, 09:23:45 PM »

I’m sorry  :'( I hope they have ideas for you. It sounds like they are already thinking creatively and outside the box more than most doctors I’ve come across!

2cats

« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2022, 08:02:05 AM »

I’ve not heard of desogestrel - is it a progesterone?

Flossieteacake

« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2022, 08:51:23 AM »

I’m sorry  :'( I hope they have ideas for you. It sounds like they are already thinking creatively and outside the box more than most doctors I’ve come across!

Thank you so much. It is the menopause clinic at Chelsea and Westminster.

Flossieteacake

« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2022, 08:52:37 AM »

I’ve not heard of desogestrel - is it a progesterone?

It is mainly used as a contraceptive pill. It is progesterone. If the dose is doubled then it can be used as the progesterone component of HRT,

joziel

« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2022, 09:36:56 AM »

This is the study where they used desogestrel for HRT purposes: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/8429799/

The BMS in their extreme conservatism say "Earlier studies have reported that desogestrel 150 micrograms is effective as the progestogen component of HRT with no increase in the risk of endometrial hyperplasia. There is lack of evidence on the use of desogestrel 75 micrograms as the progestogen component of HRT. If desogestrel 75 micrograms is used as contraception in women receiving HRT, it would be recommended to add further progestogen (e.g. Utrogestan 100 mg daily or 200 mg for 12 days a month) to provide adequate endometrial protection."

https://thebms.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2021/10/14-BMS-TfC-Progestogens-and-endometrial-protection-01H.pdf

2cats

« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2022, 10:58:41 AM »

Sadly I cannot tolerate it. I have been crying and sad all day and wanting to die. It is such a shame. Thank you for asking after me.

Oh flossieteacake that’s such a shame it’s having so awful an effect on you. I feel your pain. I love life and I’m a cheerful person but the thought of living this rollercoaster for god knows how long makes me wonder how I’ll keep going. I really hope you get some relief soon. Xx

2cats

« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2022, 11:00:24 AM »

I got a text last night to say my oestradiol levels have reason in a month from 81 to 587! Shame I feel no different whatsoever. But maybe it’s early days. Can’t remember how long it took to feel better when I started hrt 12 years ago.

Flossieteacake

« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2022, 11:00:52 AM »

Oh flossieteacake that’s such a shame it’s having so awful an effect on you. I feel your pain. I love life and I’m a cheerful person but the thought of living this rollercoaster for god knows how long makes me wonder how I’ll keep going. I really hope you get some relief soon. Xx

That is so sweet of you to say. Thank you. I totally understand how you are feeling. It is horrid to need progesterone but be unable to deal with the side effects.

joziel

« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2022, 11:59:10 AM »

2cats, those are great estradiol levels. What have you done to achieve that in a month?!

Flossie, I'm guessing you've already tried the Mirena coil? I do know some women who've even had a hysterectomy so they can have estrogen unopposed, although it seems a bit extreme!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4