Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Really heavy bleeding  (Read 743 times)

Greengoddess

Really heavy bleeding
« on: June 17, 2022, 06:59:00 PM »

Hi all
I started on Evorel Sequi 6 weeks ago, prior to that, taking no HRT, I hadn’t had a period for 11 months.
Just a few days after starting it (the oestrogen only patches), I had a light bleed that lasted a few days, then a couple of days before switching to the oestrogen/progesterone set of patches, I started bleeding really heavily and have done since. The double-sanitary-protection, ruining underwear and clothing kind of heavy bleeding, completely exhausting!
The GP that prescribed them to me said to give it three months to settle, but if I’m honest, I’m ready to throw in the towel already. After almost a year of no bleeds, this is really hard to deal with.
It seems to have helped with my other symptoms, such as hot flushes, aches and pains and general emotional up and downs, but the inconvenience and sheer exhaustion caused by the bleeding is outweighing the positive.
Can anyone offer any words of advice? Would I be silly to stop? Is it just not for me? Or are those particular patches not right for me perhaps?

Nas

Re: Really heavy bleeding
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2022, 07:44:41 PM »

Oh dear, poor you. That bleeding sounds awful .
Unfortunately it seems to be an all too common side effect of HRT.

You have two choices. Either persevere and hope it settles, or stop this particular HRT. Three months is the recommended time to give HRT to settle. That can be tough when you are bleeding heavily.

I had the same on the separate Oestrogen patch and progesterone. Eventually I had to have a Mirena fitted. The jury is still out as to whether that’s going to solve my issue.

I would ask the GP for something to slow the bleeding down.
Then try to persevere for your 3 months to see if the bleeds settle into a more predictable pattern.

Good luck 🤞

joziel

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2022, 08:08:23 PM »

If you hadn't bled for 11 months before starting it, continuous HRT might have been a better one to start you on instead of sequential. It sounds like the estrogen-only patches have caused build up and now all that has to come out, whereas perhaps the continuous progesterone might have help avoid that.

It can take up to 6 months for bleeding to stop when you begin HRT but I think if it is heavy, don't let it go on that long. You might need to try a different HRT/progesterone or even the Mirena coil.

Greengoddess

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2022, 02:44:09 PM »

Thank you for your  replies and advice. I will try and get to speak with my GP again next week and perhaps it might be worth thinking about a change of tack. I did have a Mirena coil a few years ago which was disastrous for me, a very painful insertion which then resulted in an infection and having to have it removed….hasn’t left me with fond memories  :(