Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Poor Sleep  (Read 2273 times)

Lynda07

Poor Sleep
« on: June 07, 2022, 12:41:05 PM »

Hi ladies

I'm really struggling with (lack of) sleep at the moment. I've not had a good nights sleep for about 7 years, since my last period but of late it's just awful. I eventually drop off after about an hour. Need a wee. Drop off. Have a hot sweat. Repeat - I can end up having up to 4 wees a night.(Recently been checked for diabetes as part of a routine check up so it's not that).

I've read through some of the sleep posts in the specific thread but wondered if anyone else suffered more post meno? I still can't seem to grasp that I'm feeling worse the further away I get from my last period, I thought I'd be coming through it all by now. So then I get anxious - and feel even worse.

Can this kind of thing "develop" post meno. I'm now dreading going to bed each night, no matter how many times I lay there and tell  myself it doesn't matter that I can't sleep - it does. I feel trapped in a vicious circle as my cholesterol is high and stress and poor sleep contribute but how to you overcome that? I've read up on sleep hygiene, in fact I was given a lot of info from our Nurse Practitioner but I'm still struggling.

Thanks x

ATB

Re: Poor Sleep
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2022, 12:51:07 PM »

Lack of sleep is really debilitating, you have my sympathies. Yes it can get worse, it can also get better of course but it isn’t unusual for symptoms of menopause to develop like this. I think from memory you’re not on HRT? Do you think you would consider going to a menopause clinic to try again?

jaypo

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2022, 01:27:12 PM »

Hi Lynda,have you tried magnesium tablets? There is a thread somewhere if you look,the magnesium Bisglycinate is the one to look for,they don't upset the stomach,I've found. A kind lady on here directed me to them,they help low mood and sleep,they work wonders for me but obviously they won't for some but I'm truly glad I found them

ATB

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2022, 01:29:00 PM »

Yes good suggestion jaypo, I was taking them but stopped due to a new symptom that it may have been affecting. But it absolutely helped my sleep.

Dierdre

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2022, 01:32:40 PM »

Local estrogen might help your bladder and having to wee so much. I used to have to get up a couple of times a night but don't now after using Vagifem and Ovestin.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2022, 01:53:55 PM »

I would get some vaginal atrophy treatment, it may be the start of dryness which mimics repeated urine infection symptoms really really well  >:(

Also, worrying about not getting back can play on the mind until I am tossing and turning  :(

Lynda07

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2022, 04:22:18 PM »

Firstly as always, thank you for replying. I've said before, I feel very isolated with all of this and I'm a very anxious person so the advice and reassurance I get here is much appreciated.

ATB, you're right, I'm not on HRT. I've tried two different lots with not so great side effects and have to admit that put me off. That said I did actually take the step of looking to see if there is a menopause clinic near me (I'm in the Highlands) and there is - I'm going to also ask my surgery if there is a GP who maybe deals with menopausal ladies as I know sometimes GPs do have areas of specialty. 

Jaypo - I've seen magnesium mentioned. I did try some from Healthspan and they upset my stomach so will google the one you mentioned and look for the thread too.

Dierdre, without wanting to sound daft, are Vagifem and Ovestin forms of HRT? The thought of not having to keep getting up for a wee is very appealing. If so, would that fit in with CLKD's suggestion?

Thank you again!

Flossieteacake

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2022, 05:20:09 PM »

Hello Lynda. Ovestin is oestrogen in the form of a cream. Vagifem is oestrogen in the form of a pessary. They are HRT but mild and can be use daily. Like you, I am constantly needing to go to the bathroom. It really disrupts my sleep. I cannot wait until that symptom goes.

sheila99

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2022, 05:42:15 PM »

My insomnia and anxiety has completely gone with hrt so IMO it's well worth putting in the effort to try one you get on with. There's a reason they use sleep deprivation for torture  :(. What have you tried? Usually it's the progesterone that causes the problems so you could for one with a different form to what you've already tried and it can help to start on a sequi regime. You'll have a bleed but you can tell if the progesterone phase is the problem.

jaypo

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2022, 06:10:43 PM »

Lynda, I wouldn't worry about vagifem etc as Flossie says,very low dose and they don't go into the bloodstream,so maybe worth trying?

Dierdre

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2022, 08:18:55 PM »

Firstly as always, thank you for replying. I've said before, I feel very isolated with all of this and I'm a very anxious person so the advice and reassurance I get here is much appreciated.

ATB, you're right, I'm not on HRT. I've tried two different lots with not so great side effects and have to admit that put me off. That said I did actually take the step of looking to see if there is a menopause clinic near me (I'm in the Highlands) and there is - I'm going to also ask my surgery if there is a GP who maybe deals with menopausal ladies as I know sometimes GPs do have areas of specialty. 

Jaypo - I've seen magnesium mentioned. I did try some from Healthspan and they upset my stomach so will google the one you mentioned and look for the thread too.

Dierdre, without wanting to sound daft, are Vagifem and Ovestin forms of HRT? The thought of not having to keep getting up for a wee is very appealing. If so, would that fit in with CLKD's suggestion?

Thank you again!

Yes, it's HRT but not systemic just localised so doesn't come under the same  rules. The dosage is minute compared to systemic HRT and can be used safely for life for women with   Genitourinary syndrome of menopause (GSM) as it's now called, 

Lynda07

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2022, 06:04:17 PM »

Thank you for explaining that Flossieteacake. It’s a real,nuisance isn’t it.

Sheila99, I can’t remember what I took, only that it was a patch, not very helpful I know.

Thanks to you Jaypo and Dierdre also, I had no idea about this sort of treatment or that it was localised.

Poppy61

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2022, 07:30:24 PM »

Hello Lynda07 my symptoms became much worse post menopause. They have eased off from what they were, i.e night heats not as bad. However I couldn't take the continous waking up after 8 years and I'd also reached a stage where I couldn't get up off the sofa, or walk up the stairs without great difficulty.  I then decided to try HRT.  Aches and pains so much better and I can walk up the stairs, but still having night heats. I'm still trying to get my dosage right and I would suggest starting low and working your way up. I've been dosing up and down on gel, but listened to the wise words of Dotty about being patient 'whilst your oestrogen tank fills up'. Im now on Evorel 50 conti combined patch, but I've been cutting it in half to take it slowly. I always believed there was going to be a time when I would pop out the other end, it seems to happen for some women, but I don't believe that of me now, hence HRT. Think seriously about having another try and good luck x Watch the Liz Earle YouTube video on her menopause. Its what finally persuaded me. x

Lynda07

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2022, 10:48:21 AM »

Hi Poppy61 and apologies for the delay in my reply.

Whilst I'm sorry to hear your symptoms became worse post meno, it makes me feel less worried about my issue - as they are definitely worse post meno and I thought it would be the other way around. We sound very similar, especially as I have recently started with very similar aches and pains. I'm used to being active but some days even a short dog walk feels too much, I just hurt all over.
I will watch the Liz Earle video, I've not had chance to see it yet but will be interested to hear what she says. Thank you for replying. x

Poppy61

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2022, 07:03:10 PM »

Like you, I found it puzzling, as I thought it all got better as time went on. I'm pleased it has reassured you. Everyone has such different experiences of the meno maze x